NRNR lessens alcohol-induced depression via the gut microbiota

Fred

NR lessens alcohol-induced depression via the gut microbiota

Post by Fred »

"Abstract

The gut microbiota play an important role in many central nervous system diseases through the gut microbiota–brain axis.

Recent studies suggest that nicotinamide riboside (NR) has neuroprotective properties. However, it is unknown whether NR can prevent or protect against alcohol-induced depression.

Furthermore, it is unclear whether its therapeutic action involves changes in the composition of the gut microbiome.

Here, we investigated the effects of NR in the mouse model of alcohol-induced depression.

Treatment with NR improved the alcohol-induced depressive behaviour in mice. In addition, NR decreased the number of activated microglia in the hippocampus, and it reduced the levels of pro-inflammatory (IL-1β, IL-6, and TNF-α) and anti-inflammatory (IL-10 and TGF-β) cytokines in the brain of mice with alcohol-induced depression.

Furthermore, NR significantly upregulated BDNF and diminished the inhibition of the AKT/GSK3β/β-catenin signalling pathway in the hippocampus of these mice. 16S rRNA sequencing revealed that, compared with control and NR-treated mice, the gut microbiome richness and composition were significantly altered in the depressed mice.

Spearman’s correlation analysis showed that differential gut bacterial genera correlated with the levels of inflammation-related cytokines and BDNF in the brain.

After faecal microbiota transplantation, cognitive behaviours, microglial activity, levels of cytokines and BDNF, and activation state of the AKT/GSK3β/β-catenin signalling pathway (which is downstream of the BDNF receptor, TrkB) in recipient mice were similar to those in donor mice.

Collectively, our findings show that NR dietary supplementation protects against alcohol-induced depression-like behaviours, possibly by altering the composition of the gut microbiota."

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/Article ... ivAbstract

NewLifeScience

Re: NR lessens alcohol-induced depression via the gut microbiota

Post by NewLifeScience »

Fred wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:05 am "Abstract

The gut microbiota play an important role in many central nervous system diseases through the gut microbiota–brain axis.

Recent studies suggest that nicotinamide riboside (NR) has neuroprotective properties. However, it is unknown whether NR can prevent or protect against alcohol-induced depression.

Furthermore, it is unclear whether its therapeutic action involves changes in the composition of the gut microbiome.

Here, we investigated the effects of NR in the mouse model of alcohol-induced depression.

Treatment with NR improved the alcohol-induced depressive behaviour in mice. In addition, NR decreased the number of activated microglia in the hippocampus, and it reduced the levels of pro-inflammatory (IL-1β, IL-6, and TNF-α) and anti-inflammatory (IL-10 and TGF-β) cytokines in the brain of mice with alcohol-induced depression.

Furthermore, NR significantly upregulated BDNF and diminished the inhibition of the AKT/GSK3β/β-catenin signalling pathway in the hippocampus of these mice. 16S rRNA sequencing revealed that, compared with control and NR-treated mice, the gut microbiome richness and composition were significantly altered in the depressed mice.

Spearman’s correlation analysis showed that differential gut bacterial genera correlated with the levels of inflammation-related cytokines and BDNF in the brain.

After faecal microbiota transplantation, cognitive behaviours, microglial activity, levels of cytokines and BDNF, and activation state of the AKT/GSK3β/β-catenin signalling pathway (which is downstream of the BDNF receptor, TrkB) in recipient mice were similar to those in donor mice.

Collectively, our findings show that NR dietary supplementation protects against alcohol-induced depression-like behaviours, possibly by altering the composition of the gut microbiota."

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/Article ... ivAbstract
Gut bacteria is a big thing, isn't it?

Personally, I would choose to drink rarely, to avoid this issue. And i do drink extremely rarely.

I have discovered Dr. Rhonda Patrick on YouTube (again, originally on JRE) and she was talking about eating oatmeal during a fast to change the bione in the gut... it got a little complicated, but i do know that up to now, my gut biome will not be my best health feature.

I am curious Fred what you think of her content if you have seen any.
Fred

Post by Fred »

NewLifeScience said:
I think Rhonda Patrick is an excellent interviewer and I´ve seen many of her talks with researchers. I really enjoy them.

But when she does her own videos I think she sometimes goes beyond what the science says with her conclusions and this shows in her interviews when the experts correct her from time to time when she misinterpreted or overinterpreted something.

I don't understand the obsession with broccoli sprouts. There are so many interesting molecules and sulforaphane is just one of them. Curcumin another. And EGCG and resveratrol too.

Her DNA-analysing service I´m highly skeptical of. But everyone´s got to make a living.

But overall an excellent interviewer since she´s done her time in the lab herself even though she´s not a medical doctor or researcher.
rossnad

Post by rossnad »

Thanks for posting stuff like this. Summaries are really valuable.

Also, if you take a step back, kinda funny. "Hi Hunny how was your day?" - "Great, we got a bunch of mice drunk. Science!"

Like what was said by "NewLife", probably just best to avoid Alcohol, however since that is totally off the table for me, I'll consider some NR to go along with the NMN.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Ross
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE »

I thought this was an interesting study, as it suggests a possible pathway for NR to have effect BEFORE reaching the liver.

May explain why NR shows some benefits different from NAM, even if NR doesn't reach beyond the liver as shown in Liu/Rabinowitz study.

Kinda similar to the finding of NMN transporter Slc12a8, that shows some NMN goes direct to NAD+ in small intestine.

So far though, both are just possibilities until we learn more about how relevant they actually are in humans.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

Fred wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:00 pm NewLifeScience said:

Her DNA-analysing service I´m highly skeptical of. But everyone´s got to make a living.
Do you know how funny you are being, when you are being funny? :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

CeeJayBee wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 pm
Fred wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:00 pm NewLifeScience said:

Do you know how funny you are being, when you are being funny? :)
Thank you for the appreciation 😏
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic