NRNicotinamide Riboside is Protective in Mouse Models of Retinal Degeneration

Fred

Nicotinamide Riboside is Protective in Mouse Models of Retinal Degeneration

Post by Fred »

"Abstract
Purpose: The retina is highly metabolically active, suggesting that metabolic dysfunction could underlie many retinal degenerative diseases.

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) is a cofactor and a co-substrate in several cellular energetic metabolic pathways. Maintaining NAD+ levels may be therapeutic in retinal disease since retinal NAD+ levels decline with age and during retinal damage or degeneration.

The purpose of this study was to investigate whether systemic treatment with nicotinamide riboside (NR), a NAD+ precursor, is protective in disparate models of retinal damage or degeneration."

"Results: The retinal degeneration models exhibited significantly suppressed retinal function, and where examined, severely disrupted photoreceptor cell layer and significantly decreased numbers of nuclei and increased accumulation of DNA breaks as measured by TUNEL-labeled cells in the outer nuclear layer (ONL).

These effects were prevented by various NR treatment regimens. IP treatment with NR also resulted in increased levels of NAD+ in retina.

Conclusions: This is the first study to report protective effects of NR treatment in mouse models of retinal degeneration. The positive outcomes in several models, coupled with human tolerance to NR dosing, suggest that maintaining retinal NAD+ via systemic NR treatment should be further explored for clinical relevance."

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... b0WLGB85Fw

Drdavid

Re: Nicotinamide Riboside is Protective in Mouse Models of Retinal Degeneration

Post by Drdavid »

This study provides a little hope for those with retinal issues. It will be interesting to follow this as the research breaks into new animal models and see if the protective effects continue in larger animals.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Drdavid wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 am This study provides a little hope for those with retinal issues. It will be interesting to follow this as the research breaks into new animal models and see if the protective effects continue in larger animals.
Yes Drdavid.
My eyesight has definitely improved since I have been experimenting with NMN / NAD+ combinations. 👀
I only use glasses to read but with a little bit of effort I can now read my small phone screen font unaided.
rhett

Post by rhett »

It is crazy to me how profound nad+ and cell metabolism is in respect to symptoms of aging. You can’t read this stuff and not think we’ve got lucky front row seats to something the whole world will be doing in some number of years, like fluoride for teeth.
Fred

Post by Fred »

rhett wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:16 pm It is crazy to me how profound nad+ and cell metabolism is in respect to symptoms of aging. You can’t read this stuff and not think we’ve got lucky front row seats to something the whole world will be doing in some number of years, like fluoride for teeth.
It certainly is very impressive in animal models. But NR has failed to do in humans most of the things it achieved in rats and mice. That is typical of any molecule. Most drugs that work in mice fail in human clinical trials.

I hope that coming human trials of NMN/NR will show at least some of the impressive effects we've seen in animals. We have no efficacy trials of NMN in humans yet and until then we can't know what it does or doesn't do. Anecdotes are not evidence of effect. They're just stories.
Newage

Post by Newage »

rhett wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:16 pm It is crazy to me how profound nad+ and cell metabolism is in respect to symptoms of aging. You can’t read this stuff and not think we’ve got lucky front row seats to something the whole world will be doing in some number of years, like fluoride for teeth.
Hopefully it is front row seats to a movie with a good ending.
The molecules now need to “with stand the test of time” :idea:
rhett

Post by rhett »

If this all turns out to be thalidomide 2.0 I’m going to be very annoyed
Fred

Post by Fred »

rhett wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:00 pm If this all turns out to be thalidomide 2.0 I’m going to be very annoyed
Well, even thalidomide DID find some medical uses after all ;)

"Thalidomide is used as a first-line treatment in multiple myeloma in combination with dexamethasone or with melphalan and prednisone, to treat acute episodes of erythema nodosum leprosum."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Fred wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:46 pm
It certainly is very impressive in animal models. But NR has failed to do in humans most of the things it achieved in rats and mice. That is typical of any molecule. Most drugs that work in mice fail in human clinical trials.

I hope that coming human trials of NMN/NR will show at least some of the impressive effects we've seen in animals. We have no efficacy trials of NMN in humans yet and until then we can't know what it does or doesn't do. Anecdotes are not evidence of effect. They're just stories.
Yes, you are correct and that is something that everyone should keep in the back of their mind as they use these new products. I know that we have accumulated hundreds of stories from patients using NAD+ IV about changes in eye sight. As the research moves forward and human trials are introduced the data will speak for itself. Until then the stories will have to do.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Yes. We only have stories to go on with no “Science Based Human Trials” completed using NMN but we are all still taking it!
Go figure...
I assume we are all taking it at least partly based on the “None Science” based stories. :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic