NAD+ PreserversCan Olive Oil be a good base for a serum

canadahealthy

Re: Can Olive Oil be a good base for a serum

Post by canadahealthy »

I am looking at some topical solutions using ethyl alcohol. I think i would prefer the Olive Oil.

Or at least a very small amount of EA.

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Newage wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:21 pm
canadahealthy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:48 pm So some of you think it would make a good base. is that because it is an acid?

Virgin Olive Oil has a Free Acidity level rating of between .8 to 2 % 
The better the quality of the oil the lower the Acidity level.

So my question would be, is an acid a good carrier of nutrients across the dermal barrier, or is something else at play.

I think i am just confused by the word serum.
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

smokinjoe wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:57 pm i think Olive Oil is a good topical and edible compound for skin rejuvenation and body rejuvenation, but i have no idea about using it as a serum.

as I understand it, a serum is a stable liquid that keeps the healthystuff in suspension (it won't decompose or change state) and also help carry additives deep into your skin.

I just don't know. There may be better liquids for a serum stabilizer, like squalene for example, which seems popular.

I agree, unless you find a great source for what bases do (and don't) and I am guessing what you are looking for is to get into the deeper dermis layers, you can start with Squalene.

I tried searching... but you instantly get lost in serum ingredients rather than bases.

I will continue to search though, as I am highly motivated to maintain clear tight skin... especially on my face.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

drkris69 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 am Olive oil I think would be a great base for making serums.

Hey Dr Kris
Can you break it down for a layperson? the more i read, the more confused i get.

Is it like mildly acidic, enough to help what it is carrying deep into the skin?

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Olive oil makes a good base because it also contains vitamin E. Olive oil also can seep into the skin better than other oils.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Interesting thread - as a result, I was curious as to the effects of olive oil on the skin, and found this article which I think summarises things quite well!

https://www.byrdie.com/olive-oil-for-skin

I think overall it's quite good, but if you have acne-prone skin, proceed with caution!
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I think it has several attributes, including acidity and oiliness. I find it absorbs into my skin well.

Plus it seems to be extremely healthy on its own. I am taking it daily now.

What are you looking to do NLS?
Newage

Post by Newage »

I take at least 30 ml and sometimes up to 50 ml of virgin Olive oil daily.
I still remember my father in his younger years rubbing olive oil into his hair when he ran out of hair tonic. He had a full head of hair right up until he passed.
It seems another “old time remedy” that has merit..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic