NAD+ PreserversCoQ10 and Lipitor and other statins

JanCOhio

CoQ10 and Lipitor and other statins

Post by JanCOhio »

So I have been reading up on the role of statins to reduce cholesterol and the unfortunate side effect that they burn away from of our stores of CoQ10 which can lead to muscle fatigue or pain. I have been taking Lipitor for years as I have inherted high cholesterol tendencies.. But now that I am taking CoQ10 i am clearly less fatigued.

I always wondered what was so special about CoQ10, but for me, it was because I very likely had a problematic deficit.

Here is an article on the Nat Insitute of Health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 0patients.

canadahealthy

Re: CoQ10 and Lipitor and other statins

Post by canadahealthy »

This is really cool info.

I will  see if it is causing my Dad to be more fatigued and possibly experiencing any unnecessary pain.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

There are natural ways to lower lipids only if your lipids are not too elevated. Try using Slo Niacin at 500mgs 2x per day and Red Yeast Rice at 1200mgs 2x per day. This is a natural alternative to taking Statins if interested. Oh and make sure that you get the Slo Niacin and not the regular kind. You will flush so much that it will be uncomfortable. 
Stewered

Post by Stewered »

Statins can lower the amount of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) in the body. Some researchers think this contributes to commonly reported statin side effects, like muscle pain. Some studies suggest that CoQ10 supplements may help with muscle-related side effects from statins. But overall evidence doesn't support this use single flat sheet

Last edited by Stewered on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewered

Post by Stewered »

Statins can lower the amount of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) in the body. Some researchers think this contributes to commonly reported statin side effects, like muscle pain. Some studies suggest that CoQ10 supplements may help with muscle-related side effects from statins. But overall evidence doesn't support this use single flat sheet

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Stewered wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:21 pm Statins can lower the amount of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) in the body. Some researchers think this contributes to commonly reported statin side effects, like muscle pain. Some studies suggest that CoQ10 supplements may help with muscle-related side effects from statins. But overall evidence doesn't support this use single flat sheet

The above study actually seems to clearly point to a statistically relevant benefit of taking CoQ10 with a statin.

But the issue i think JanCOhio was pointing to was the lowering of critical CoQ10 in the elderly and the consequences that could be imrpoved by supplimentation.

Here is a discussion on this very issue.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096178/
michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

I think CoQ10 is very likely low with most elderly regardless of the cause. So it's a good thing to suppliment.

Newage

Post by Newage »

michaeljkelly wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:37 am I think CoQ10 is very likely low with most elderly regardless of the cause. So it's a good thing to suppliment.

Spot on.
That’s why I take the RBS Lipo version daily.  :idea:

ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Very pertinent infoprmation JanC, thank you.

I take Atovastatin (lipitor) and have for years. I now take it as part of my longevity stack, but never considered any side effects.
Newage

Post by Newage »

ChrisBON wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:19 pm Very pertinent infoprmation JanC, thank you.

I take Atovastatin (lipitor) and have for years. I now take it as part of my longevity stack, but never considered any side effects.

Sometimes side effects can be mask by what people believe is the natural ageing process. It can be very hard at times to distinguish between the two.   :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic