NAD+ PreserversResveratrol with NMN?

Fred

Re: Resveratrol with NMN?

Post by Fred »

Drdavid wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:01 pm Below are some side effects of metformin:

physical weakness (asthenia)
diarrhea.
gas (flatulence)
symptoms of weakness, muscle pain (myalgia)
upper respiratory tract infection.
low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
abdominal pain (GI complaints), lactic acidosis (rare)
low blood levels of vitamin B-12

is it worth these symptoms in order to possibly get some antiaging results?
Thank you for providing a list of possible side effects.

True, you CAN initially get some of these symptoms of the botanical derivative metformin. High dose resveratrol and curcumin, other molecules derived from botanicals, can also cause nausea and flatulence.

I had nausea the first days and lowered my dose to 250 mg. Then raised the dose slowly every 2-4 weeks. I also switched to Glucophage XR extended release which is much gentler on the GI-tract.

I now take 1000 mg metformin extended-release every evening after dinner with zero side effects. After my microbiota changed due to the botanical derivative metformin initial stomach unease went away completely.

Yes, for me the possible anti-aging effects with decreased risk of several cancers and possibly even neuroprotective and life-extending effects are worth the expense of the drug since I have zero side effects.

I advise anyone going on metformin to supplement with B12. I take 3 x 500 mg of methylcobalamin daily.

But there will always be a small percentage with genetics not compatible with a certain molecule. Also people with decreased kidney function should only take metformin under doctors supervision and a lower dose (or no metformin at all). In my case, initial GI-stress was just a matter of letting time adjust my microbiota until GI-stress went away.

A botanically derived sirtuin-activator like metformin or resveratrol seems to be a good complement to NAD-precursors.

Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Fred, thank you for the reply. It is always interesting to hear what other people are doing in real time and how they overcome certain side effects. I agree that once the gut begins to understand how the new drug is going to interact in a complex environment issues can resolve. Are you monitoring any markers since the beginning of the drug regimen?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Drdavid wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 pm Are you monitoring any markers since the beginning of the drug regimen?
No, it was a while ago. I eat a plant-based diet and I already have low blood pressure, low cholesterol, low CRP, low FBG and low HbA1c. I need to check interleukin-6 perhaps.

The Swedish healthcare system is practically free but you can't indulge yourself in unneccessary tests. There may be private actors but I haven't looked into it.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

With your plant based diet do you supplement the standard vitamins that seem to be missing from most plant based diets?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Drdavid wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:08 pm With your plant based diet do you supplement the standard vitamins that seem to be missing from most plant based diets?
A plant-based diet generally contains more micronutrients than a mixed diet (more folate, vitamin C, magnesium, carotenoids and phytochemicals) and vegetarians live longer than meat-eaters on average. In human cohort studies higher protein intake from animal sources is associated with an increase in mortality rate.

I´m not deficient in any vitamins or minerals, metabolites or cofactors because I monitor my intake and I don´t have any malabsorption issues.

I supplement quite a bit, but not because I'm eating a nutrient-dense plant-based diet, but because I try to counteract some of the age-related physiological decline in function.
Last edited by Fred on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

I saw a more extensive version of the Joe Rogan interview with Dr. Sinclair.

It convinced me the order Resveratrol from Amazon. I got Vorst Premium Resveratrol 400mg x 60 capsules for about $30 CAD. I figure one per day should do, so not bad for a 2 month supply.

Since the concept has been around for 20 years, i think that it shouldn't be to hard to get what you pay for.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Fred wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:46 am I advise anyone going on metformin to supplement with B12. I take 3 x 500 mg of methylcobalamin daily.
How does B12 help?
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

One of the side effects of metformin is B12 depletion. If you are taking this drug or its botanical derivative make sure you take B12 also.
Newage

Post by Newage »

I Agree DrDavid.
Look up symptoms of B12 deficiency.
Not very nice...
FitandHealthyinAZ

Post by FitandHealthyinAZ »

After some research I settled on aSquared Nutrition's version. These folks produce their resveratrol from polygonum cuspidatum aka Japanese knotweed. Their product is not a resveratrol complex but indeed 100% pure resveratrol. Is any of what they claim true? They are GMP certified which means that they have demonstrated a strong regulatory commitment and compliance to international GMP standards, so that's a plus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic