NAD+ PreserversSupplemental pyruvate increases NAD via NAMPT and activates SIRT1

Fred

Supplemental pyruvate increases NAD via NAMPT and activates SIRT1

Post by Fred »

Perhaps good news for those who use pyruvate, sometimes included in sports supplements to provide energy.

"Pyruvate represses histone gene expression by inducing the expression of NAD+ biosynthesis enzyme, nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase (NAMPT) via myocyte enhancer factor 2C (MEF2C), which then increases NAD+ levels and activates the histone deacetylase activity of SIRT1."

Nucleic Acids Res. 2019 Oct 10. pii: gkz864. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkz864.
"Exogenous pyruvate represses histone gene expression and inhibits cancer cell proliferation via the NAMPT-NAD+-SIRT1 pathway."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31598701

p75213

Re: Supplemental pyruvate increases NAD via NAMPT and activates SIRT1

Post by p75213 »

Good find Fred.
p75213

Post by p75213 »

It's all about NAD+ and SIRT1. So does this mean pyruvate is a viable alternative to NMN/NR/NAD+ to increase energy, healthspan and lifespan?
Fred

Post by Fred »

p75213 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 am It's all about NAD+ and SIRT1. So does this mean pyruvate is a viable alternative to NMN/NR/NAD+ to increase energy, healthspan and lifespan?
Oh, no. Too early days for making those assumptions. Pyruvate needs to be tested in humans and NAD measured in blood just like with the already published NR and soon-to-be-published NMN and Nuchido human clinical trials.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Interesting! I was curious as to which foods contain pyruvate...I found this article that mentions apples and dark beer:

https://www.deliciousliving.com/health/pyruvate/
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

OzSport wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:29 am Interesting! I was curious as to which foods contain pyruvate...I found this article that mentions apples and dark beer:
aha so at least I'm half right!
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

NewLifeScience wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:06 pm
OzSport wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:29 am Interesting! I was curious as to which foods contain pyruvate...I found this article that mentions apples and dark beer:
I think i read also that it is in green tea. I cannot drink much green tea for some reason - even 2 cups irritates my bladder.

I wonder if we can just eat the dried green tea leaves... ??
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

smokinjoe wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 am
I think i read also that it is in green tea. I cannot drink much green tea for some reason - even 2 cups irritates my bladder.

I would assume you could but you would probably have to mix it in something such as yoghurt. But then you would probably experience the same symptoms regardless. It would probably be the most bio available as in tea form as the hot water has extracted most of the nutrients from the leaves...
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:52 am
smokinjoe wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 am

I would assume you could but you would probably have to mix it in something such as yoghurt. But then you would probably experience the same symptoms regardless. It would probably be the most bio available as in tea form as the hot water has extracted most of the nutrients from the leaves...
I see these green tea capsules in the "Bu;lk Barn" (local organics, powered foods, baking ingrediants store) I am wondering in it would be worth taking the tea that way
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have no idea why this thread became about green tea. Many foods contain small amounts of pyruvate.

Pyruvate is made by the body out of glucose. It's available as a powder and often taken in gram doses.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic