NAD+TMG for NAD+ Nasal Spray

Elleker

TMG for NAD+ Nasal Spray

Post by Elleker »

Hi,

I’m relatively new to NAD+ supplementation, and although I have ordered some NMN I have so far only been using the NAD+ Nasal Spray, to great effect (basically just feel calmer and clearer). 

I see that it is advised to take TMG with NAD precursors to safeguard against the depletion of methyl groups, however I’m not scientifically literate enough to be able to work out whether that only applies to the precursors or whether it is also recommended for direct NAD+ supplementation via the nasal spray? Ie does the depletion of methyl groups happen in the process of creating NAD+ from NMN or NR? Or is it from the cells using the NAD+?

I have some reservations about taking TMG, but I also have reservations about depleting my methyl groups. So if it turns out that TMG is not needed when supplementing NAD+ directly then I will happily just stick with the nasal spray, however if TMG is as equally needed as with the precursors I will consider trialling it and possibly some NMN.

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

jocko6889

Re: TMG for NAD+ Nasal Spray

Post by jocko6889 »

Elleker wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:29 pm Hi,

I’m relatively new to NAD+ supplementation, and although I have ordered some NMN I have so far only been using the NAD+ Nasal Spray, to great effect (basically just feel calmer and clearer). 

I see that it is advised to take TMG with NAD precursors to safeguard against the depletion of methyl groups, however I’m not scientifically literate enough to be able to work out whether that only applies to the precursors or whether it is also recommended for direct NAD+ supplementation via the nasal spray? Ie does the depletion of methyl groups happen in the process of creating NAD+ from NMN or NR? Or is it from the cells using the NAD+?

I have some reservations about taking TMG, but I also have reservations about depleting my methyl groups. So if it turns out that TMG is not needed when supplementing NAD+ directly then I will happily just stick with the nasal spray, however if TMG is as equally needed as with the precursors I will consider trialling it and possibly some NMN.

Cheers!

Whenever NAD+ is used, whether from a precursor or not, it turns into nicotinamide (NAM).  Normally, NAM would be reconverted into NAD+ again by going through what's known as the salvage pathway, when the enzyme NAMPT gets added to NAM to convert it back into NAD+.  But if the body runs out of NAMPT, which happens sooner as we get older, there's too much NAM floating around, so the excess gets excreted out the urine attached to a methyl group.  So when there's too much loss of methyl groups, the body has trouble synthesizing things like creatine for muscle and dopamine for the brain, which is why it's recommended as sort of an insurance policy to make sure you have plenty of methyl groups from supplements like TMG.  If you have a problem with TMG, you can also substitute with Methyl Folate and/or Methyl B-12.

SunConure

Post by SunConure »

jocko6889 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:00 pm

Cheers!

Whenever NAD+ is used, whether from a precursor or not, it turns into nicotinamide (NAM).  Normally, NAM would be reconverted into NAD+ again by going through what's known as the salvage pathway, when the enzyme NAMPT gets added to NAM to convert it back into NAD+.  But if the body runs out of NAMPT, which happens sooner as we get older, there's too much NAM floating around, so the excess gets excreted out the urine attached to a methyl group.  So when there's too much loss of methyl groups, the body has trouble synthesizing things like creatine for muscle and dopamine for the brain, which is why it's recommended as sort of an insurance policy to make sure you have plenty of methyl groups from supplements like TMG.  If you have a problem with TMG, you can also substitute with Methyl Folate and/or Methyl B-12.

Is curcumin an effective methyl donor?
Say taking 400 mg Longvida curcumin and 250 mg LIPO NMN together, would that be enough to mitigate the methylation issue?
I have TMG but I'm not sure if it can increase LDL significantly.  Curcumin seems safer to use.

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

SunConure wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:18 pm

Cheers!

Say taking 400 mg Longvida curcumin and 250 mg LIPO NMN together, would that be enough to mitigate the methylation issue?
I have TMG but I'm not sure if it can increase LDL significantly.  Curcumin seems safer to use.

I have never heard it to be a methyl donor. It is very good for anti-inflammation and in an mTor inhibitor along with other great attributes, but i take TMG with the NMN i take. I was taking Folate and B12 as methylcobalamin, but they sell it in such minute q0uantities, it was better just taking TMG, mg for mg with the NMN (LSG Capsules)
SunConure

Post by SunConure »

canadahealthy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:36 pm
SunConure wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:18 pm

I have never heard it to be a methyl donor. It is very good for anti-inflammation and in an mTor inhibitor along with other great attributes, but i take TMG with the NMN i take. I was taking Folate and B12 as methylcobalamin, but they sell it in such minute q0uantities, it was better just taking TMG, mg for mg with the NMN (LSG Capsules)

Good point.  I'm taking 250mg NMN with 1g TMG cuz the pill came with 1g dose.  I think it's too much.

I have some unofficial sources claiming curcumin is a "methylation adaptogen", search for this keyword:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ProvidedDocs ... ot_000.pdf
https://chriskresser.com/methylation-ar ... itzgerald/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic