SenolyticsWhat is the current human trial status of Senolytics in general

smokinjoe

What is the current human trial status of Senolytics in general

Post by smokinjoe »

Having heard what it is that senolytics do:
SENOLYTICS ARE A TARGETED ELIMINATION OF SENESCENT CELLS FOR DELAYING AGING AND AGE-RELATED DISEASES.Dec 16, 2019
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 20DISEASES

I was hoping to start this thread to create a survey of past and current human trials that have demonstrated that they do what they are said to do and there is no side effect that may be dangerous in the long term.

I know resveratrol has been studied for at least 2 decades so there should be some long term research that demonstrates it's efficacy and safety on record.

For example RSV was shown to have a positive effect against an aggressive type of brain tumor using cell senescence.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5501037/

jocko6889

Re: What is the current human trial status of Senolytics in general

Post by jocko6889 »

smokinjoe wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 am Having heard what it is that senolytics do:
SENOLYTICS ARE A TARGETED ELIMINATION OF SENESCENT CELLS FOR DELAYING AGING AND AGE-RELATED DISEASES.Dec 16, 2019
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 20DISEASES

I was hoping to start this thread to create a survey of past and current human trials that have demonstrated that they do what they are said to do and there is no side effect that may be dangerous in the long term.

I know resveratrol has been studied for at least 2 decades so there should be some long term research that demonstrates it's efficacy and safety on record.

For example RSV was shown to have a positive effect against an aggressive type of brain tumor using cell senescence.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5501037/
The Mayo Clinic human trial using Fisetin on a group of 40 people over the age of 70 is currently the best known ongoing senolytic human trial I'm aware of. It is due to be completed in September, 2020 but phase one was completed with no adverse effects.

Something also to be aware of is that NMN is a rather good, indirect means of delaying or possibly preventing senescence. NMN stimulates production of the sirtuins, the body's self repair proteins. It's very likely that the reduction of NAD+ with age is responsible for the rise in cellular senescence.

Sirt6 in particular has been shown in mouse studies to be responsible for lengthening telomeres. Boosting sirtuins to more youthful levels is key to anti-aging. Using Sinclair's analogy, sirtuins are like the mechanics that constantly work on your car to keep it in great condition. As we age, these mechanics become lazy, take breaks, and the car begins to fall into disrepair.

Although a good senolytic drug that passes human trials might be a good way to remove existing senescent cells rather quickly, many of us forget how accumulation of senescent cells begins in the first place and how we might already have the means to slow down or possibly stop this accumulation using NAD+ boosters.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03675724#wrapper
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

A few years ago, there was a segment on Morgan Freeman's science show "Through the Wormhole" that featured David Sinclair. This is where Sinclair uses the car analogy to describe the way NAD+ boosts sirtuins to prevent senescence. Here's a link to this segment on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XSz-rplWaxw&t=9s
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Hi Jocko
thanks very much this is the kind of info i am looking for exactly!
Newage

Post by Newage »

Thanks Jocko.
It all goes into the “big longevity melting pot”
for future reference. In saying that genetics do
(at least for now) and will continue to play an important part of wellness and longevity.
I have lived an extremely tough life and realistically should be looking 15 years older and not 15 younger as I am continually told...
But I’m certainly not complaining 👍
In Order of thanks:
My parents
AliveByNature
NMN+
NAD
ABN (other)Supplements
Fitness
Diet
Intermittent Fasting
And just as important...Mindset
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Well I know Resveratrol has been thought to extend lifespan for decades. I don't think it is the best senolytic, but close enough for me.

Between, NMN, Resveratrol and intermittent fasting i think i have healthspan and lifespan covered.

There are some adverse side effects with higher doses. I think that i would keep taking it at 300-500mg of trans-resveratrol.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6164842/

Here is the whole adverse effects section from the NIH article (citations will work on the original web page):
5. Side-Effects of Resveratrol
One of the most fascinating resveratrol aspects for its future development as a promising drug is that, it does not appear to have debilitating or toxic side effects. A wide range of resveratrol doses has been used in various in vivo and in vitro studies. However, it is imperative to find out the most appropriate dose and administration route. Also, it was documented that resveratrol induces cell death in tumor tissues with relatively no effect in normal adjacent tissues [52]. Resveratrol cell uptake disparity between normal and tumor cells may be attributed to differences in available cellular targets and gene expression in cancer cells, which makes resveratrol tumor-specific. Mukherjee et al. [139] have suggested that lower resveratrol doses could be associated with health benefits, while higher doses devastate tumor cells via pro-apoptotic effects.

Resveratrol does not appear to have side effects at short-term doses (1.0 g). Otherwise, at doses of 2.5 g or more per day, side effects may occurs, like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and liver dysfunction in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease [140]. Interestingly, no major side effects were stated in long-term clinical trials [141]. In fact, resveratrol has been found to be safe and well-tolerated at up to 5 g/day, either as a single dose or as fraction of multiple-day dosing schedule [142]. However, it is imperative to mention that these studies were done in healthy populations, and that may vary in sick patients. Our understanding of resveratrol dose-dependency and administration route is further complicated, since orally administrated resveratrol gets metabolized by gut microbiota [143], which makes it difficult to determine which effects are solely due to resveratrol or both resveratrol and its metabolites.

To investigate the assumption, whether resveratrol inhibit atherosclerotic development in hypercholesterolemic rabbits, Wilson et al. [144] supplemented rabbits with or without oral resveratrol (1mg/kg), and found that resveratrol treatment did not adversely affect rabbits health other than promoting atherosclerosis. Plasma LDL electrophoretic mobility was not different between groups. Atherosclerotic lesions staining in control and resveratrol-treated groups revealed that resveratrol-treated rabbits had significantly more aortic surface area covered by atherosclerotic lesions. Therefore, resveratrol promoted atherosclerotic development, rather than protect against it, by an independent mechanism of differences observed in gross animal health, liver function, plasma cholesterol concentrations, or LDL oxidative status [144]. Ferry-Dumazet et al. [145] aiming to analyze resveratrol nephrotoxicity effects, given orally 3000 mg/kg b.w. to rats for 28 days. It resulted in nephrotoxicity documented as elevated serum blood urea nitrogen and creatinine levels, increased kidney weights, gross renal pathology changes, and an increased incidence and severity of histopathological changes in kidneys. Kidneys microscopic evaluation identified lesions whose pathogenesis could be increased by resveratrol concentration (or its metabolite) as a function of renal osmotic concentration gradients, resulting in toxic levels in renal pelvis. This would result in necrosis, renal tubules obstruction and thus tubules dilation behind obstructed region. Indeed, inflammation and pelvic epithelium hyperplasia are expected responses to the presence of necrotic tissues. Therefore, administration of 1000 or 300 mg resveratrol/kg b.w./day did not result in nephrotoxic findings. The predominant clinical signs of toxicity at 3000 mg/kg b.w./day dose group were dehydration, piloerection, and red material in cage/urine, body weight gain reduction, hyperalbuminemia, anemia (due to renal injury, which reduced erythropoietin synthesis), white blood cell counts increase due to renal pelvic inflammation. Moreover, increased ALT, ALKP and total bilirubin levels suggest liver toxicity, but this was not histologically supported. Similarly, organs evidencing weight change did not evidenced histological changes [146].

Resveratrol has been reported to both reduce cell growth and induce apoptosis in normal cells, when administered at high doses, which confirm its biphasic effects over low to high concentrations spectrum [145]. Resveratrol rapidly activate mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) in a MEK-1, Src, matrix metalloproteinase, and epidermal growth factor receptor in a dependent manner. It activates MAPK and endothelial nitric-oxide synthase (eNOS) at nanomolar concentrations (i.e., magnitude less than that required for ER genomic activity) and at concentrations possibly/transiently achieved in serum following oral red wine consumption [147]. Additionally, resveratrol consumption at modest doses result in a life span increase in 1-year old mice. However, when mice consumed larger resveratrol doses (1800 mg/kg), animals were shown to die within 3–4 months [148]. Studies on steady-state pharmacokinetics and tolerability of 2000 mg trans-resveratrol, administered twice daily with food, quercetin and alcohol (ethanol) showed that trans-resveratrol was well-tolerated by healthy subjects, although diarrhea was frequently observed [149].
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Great stuff guys. I just learned more about Resveratrol in the process.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Even though the body is “one big chemistry set”
beakers can overflow so I think in most cases it is wise to “ Take the best and discard the rest”
Supplements need to work in synergy and complement each other.
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

Newage wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:55 am Even though the body is “one big chemistry set”
beakers can overflow so I think in most cases it is wise to “ Take the best and discard the rest”
Supplements need to work in synergy and complement each other.
I don't know how 1 gram is a significant threshold with bodies in the 50-80kg range. But from what i am reading with RSV, it may be good to keep it to 500mg of trans-rsv.

I think we are all slowly building our own wellness 'cocktails'. I will be keeping any Senolytic to at or below 500mg.

I know this was posted before, but Quercetin has been said to not be all that useful, but the thinking is that it needs to be acting with another agent. I'd like to see how it works with NMN, which would actually reduce the need for elimination of senescent cells. As it stands, it does not appear to be selective enough when triggering cell death. So right now, i would not have it on my list.

There may be safe and effective derivatives in the future.

https://www.fightaging.org/archives/201 ... senolytic/

There is also a fine line between therapeutic and toxic. There must be a combination that makes it more effective. But right now I don't think i want to be taking it.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

This is why i like Curcumin. It is an antiinflammatory and a senolytic. I think taking it for anti-inflammation is absolutely crusial, and the senolytic properties helps cover more bases.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic