SenolyticsTargeting Zombie Cells

jocko6889

Targeting Zombie Cells

Post by jocko6889 »

"Targeting zombie cells

When most cells become unable to reproduce any longer, they are ‘zombies’. Companies such as Barcelona-based Senolytx are developing ways to slow the aging process by removing these zombie cells from tissues.

“When we’re young, we get senescent cells constantly,” Timothy Cash, CSO of Senolytx told me. “When we get a wound, senescent cells will form, but they will be removed after their job is done. When we get older, for some reason, senescent cells show up throughout the body but they’re not removed.”

The company is developing small molecule drugs that help to clear the zombie cells from tissues in age-related diseases such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Currently in the preclinical stage, Senolytx is also developing these drugs for combination therapies in cancer, removing senescent cells left by chemotherapy.

Senolytx also has other treatments in the discovery stage. One approach the company is investigating is to stop senescent cells from harming the tissue around them instead of killing them. Another is triggering the immune system to remove senescent cells. The immune system of young people is normally efficient at doing this, but gets worse over time.

“This might happen because the immune system isn’t as good as it was at training immune cells,” Cash told me. “But I think it’s even more likely that the senescent cells have become sneaky and tricky, and have blocked the immune system from clearing them.”

https://labiotech.eu/features/anti-agin ... l-therapy/

Zhiruo

Re: Targeting Zombie Cells

Post by Zhiruo »

I am considering taking Lutein, for my vision at the very least (macular degeneration runs in the family). My mother was advised to take it at the first sign, and it literally halted the progress of the disease.

Does anyone have information on whether Lutein performs other beneficiary functions? For the brain? For longevity?
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Zhiruo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:24 am I am considering taking Lutein, for my vision at the very least (macular degeneration runs in the family). My mother was advised to take it at the first sign, and it literally halted the progress of the disease.

Does anyone have information on whether Lutein performs other beneficiary functions? For the brain? For longevity?
I found this link about lutein and it doesn't note any other beneficiary functions aside those for the eyes:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... 754/lutein
Fondrees

Post by Fondrees »

I cant find it now, but i read an article in a well reguaded journal that mentioned a number of benefits re; brain health.
Fondrees

Post by Fondrees »

Why is this under "targeting zombie cells"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic