SenolyticsEliminating senescent cells may be harmful?

rhett

Eliminating senescent cells may be harmful?

Post by rhett »

I keep seeing speculation that eliminating senescent cells may be harmful because they must be replaced by stem cells dividing, which in theory shortens telomeres, and then ultimately causes earlier stem cell exhaustion than otherwise would have happened.

So far there are no long term studies proving any outcome for senolytics, it’s all just hypothesis and mathematical modeling. But it does remind me that senolytics aren’t settled science. 

as someone who has already done 5+ rounds of fisetin, I’m reconsidering whether to continue or wait for more studies to be completed. I’m curious to hear how the rest of you are thinking about this. 

SunConure

Re: Eliminating senescent cells may be harmful?

Post by SunConure »

rhett

Post by rhett »

Very interesting stuff and definitely a strong argument for the value of senolytics. 
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I can't think of a scenario where it would be problematic to eliminating a cell that no longer functions properly.

For one, it can spready inflammation to other cells - and that makes it a killer.
For another, there are many things we can be doing to lengthen our telomeres, not least being taking vitamin D, doing cardiovascular exercise, fasting, and taking NMN.

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

There is solid empirical evidence on cellular senescence.  It is one of the 9 hallmarks of aging.  In fact, we just completed an article on it here:

https://alivebyscience.com/nad-and-the- ... enescence/

JanCOhio

Post by JanCOhio »

canadahealthy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:47 pm I can't think of a scenario where it would be problematic to eliminating a cell that no longer functions properly.

For one, it can spready inflammation to other cells - and that makes it a killer.
For another, there are many things we can be doing to lengthen our telomeres, not least being taking vitamin D, doing cardiovascular exercise, fasting, and taking NMN.

From every single article i have read on senscent cells, they have absolutely nothing good to offer the body, and indeed cause destruction.

All I can think of if telomore length is a concern is to do things that preserve or promote telomere length, and there are several things one can do.
Newage

Post by Newage »

JanCOhio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:22 pm
canadahealthy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:47 pm I can't think of a scenario where it would be problematic to eliminating a cell that no longer functions properly.

From every single article i have read on senscent cells, they have absolutely nothing good to offer the body, and indeed cause destruction.

All I can think of if telomore length is a concern is to do things that preserve or promote telomere length, and there are several things one can do.

Personally I am happy to “roll the dice” and I have just ordered my 5 month supply of ABS Fisetin. 
I’m looking forward to completing the protocol 

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Newage I just finished my 1st month and look forward to completing 4 more months. The Mayo clinic protocol is the way to go! :D

Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:58 am Newage I just finished my 1st month and look forward to completing 4 more months. The Mayo clinic protocol is the way to go! :D

How do you feel drkris69 after completing your first month of the Fisetin protocol ?
I did one month only of the old protocol some time ago and noted some definite changes in the body.  🤔

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

For one, less inflammation right off the cuff mate!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic