Exercise"25 Again? How Exercise May Fight Aging"

OzSport

"25 Again? How Exercise May Fight Aging"

Post by OzSport »

A short and interesting article about exercise and inflammation; from the article headline: "The muscles of those who worked out looked like those of 25-year-olds and showed less of the inflammation that is tied to health problems as we age."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/well ... older.html

FitandHealthyinAZ

Re: "25 Again? How Exercise May Fight Aging"

Post by FitandHealthyinAZ »

Love this article, thanks for the share OzSport!

I've been lifting free weights for 30 years and it truly is a fountain of youth. That said, it's not enough to build muscle and achieve aerobic fitness with respect to a healthy longevity. You need to think about flexibility. Stretching keeps the muscles flexible, strong, and healthy, and we need that flexibility to maintain a range of motion in the joints. Without it, the muscles shorten and become tight. Then, when you call on the muscles for activity, they are weak and unable to extend all the way. That puts us at risk for joint pain, strains, and muscle damage.

So, as hard as it is to find time each day for exercise, don't forget to find the extra time to stretch too!
Newage

Post by Newage »

Leading into my daily (16 hour overnight nil calorie fast) I finish my last meal prior to 5pm and then head to the Aquatic Centre for my nightly passive recovery session of 20 min steam room followed by 30 min shoulder depth water running on the bottom (a quarter of the impact with four times the resistance) then another 20 min dry sauna...
Then ready to put the head down, another day over ....💤
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

We all can agree that exercising is great for the body but thank god that we have now these molecules to play with. Taking these products definitely brings things to the next level. :D
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

FitandHealthyinAZ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:57 pm Love this article, thanks for the share OzSport!

I've been lifting free weights for 30 years and it truly is a fountain of youth. That said, it's not enough to build muscle and achieve aerobic fitness with respect to a healthy longevity. You need to think about flexibility. Stretching keeps the muscles flexible, strong, and healthy, and we need that flexibility to maintain a range of motion in the joints. Without it, the muscles shorten and become tight. Then, when you call on the muscles for activity, they are weak and unable to extend all the way. That puts us at risk for joint pain, strains, and muscle damage.

So, as hard as it is to find time each day for exercise, don't forget to find the extra time to stretch too!
No worries, FitandHealthyinAZ! I agree, stretching is also a key aspect of physical wellness. I find as I get older, my range of motion is definitely decreasing and I do forget to stretch to counterbalance it, argh! A colleague of mine in his 50s recently took up yoga to help with his back pains, and he says it's fantastic. He found the key to enjoying yoga as well as getting the benefits was to take an official beginner yoga class from a provider who had extensive experience in teaching it. This is because yoga movements are so focused and subtle, so you really need a good teacher to help you fix your form which makes all the difference.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic