ExerciseThe Workout Drug

jocko6889

The Workout Drug

Post by jocko6889 »

As researchers learn more about how exercise fights chronic ills like heart disease and diabetes, doctors may soon be able to treat physical activity as the powerful medicine it is.

Exercise is good for you. That’s hardly news: People who exercise tend to have longer, healthier lives. But until recently, researchers have tallied its benefits only in narrow slices: Exercise lowers your cholesterol and blood pressure; it keeps you from getting fat. Now it’s becoming clear that those known slices don’t add up to the full pie.

The muscle-building aspects of exercise also help reverse a key change associated with aging: a decline in the function of mitochondria, our cells’ energy generators. This decline, often seen in sedentary individuals, can leave the mitochondria unable to completely burn the cellular fuel and that can lead cells to generate more oxidants, the oxygen-rich, reactive molecules that damage proteins and DNA.

For more, click the link below:

https://www.knowablemagazine.org/articl ... 2ujDBmn7i4

Newage

Re: The Workout Drug

Post by Newage »

A great read Jocko..
It confirms my way of thinking to a tee.
The possibility for the ageing population to avoid some prescription drugs by way of exercise is a huge step in the right direction.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thank you Jocko. Very good article on exercise and longevity. Interviews with scientists and some biomolecular insights.

So about 22.5 MET hours per week is optimal for longevity. That works out to less than 1 hour of brisk walking a day.

Anyone knows of an app that keeps track of your MET hours per week? I think Google Fitness does but not sure if they convert it to some proprietary "points".

A perfect read to bolster that New Year resolution ^^
rhett

Post by rhett »

One of the best drugs is exercise

One of the best things to eat is fasting
Newage

Post by Newage »

rhett wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm One of the best drugs is exercise

One of the best things to eat is fasting
I agree with that rhett.
The simple things that over time have been proven to benefit all of us. :shock:
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Thanks for confirming Jocko. ;)
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Interesting article, Jocko! That abdominal fat is horrible...I tend to carry fat around my abdomen, and I find that I have to work extra hard as I get older to try to reduce it. It's worth it, though!
LouiseAcevedo

Post by LouiseAcevedo »

Good and informative article jocko thanks for this 
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

I'll just add that having to concentrate the mind on something else whilst doing aerobic exercise (e.g. listening to a podcast of someone talking if not watching something on a screen) increases the blood flow to the brain by up to 40%.
(I saw this on a BBC programme "The truth about exercising" around a week ago, and I've been doing this ever since)
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Exercise is my go to drug!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic