NutritionOleic Acid as a Sirtuin Activator and why Canola oil may be best

CeeJayBee

Oleic Acid as a Sirtuin Activator and why Canola oil may be best

Post by CeeJayBee »

Resveratrol is likely the most well known Sirt 1 activator, possibly followed by pterostilbene. But a major and easily accessible source of a Sirt 1 activator has been Olive Oil, especially Extra Virgin Olive Oil since it is so high in Oleic Acid.

The problem is and i can't find where this is debunked; the olive oil you get may be tampered with. There has long been an understanding in Europe that Olive Oil is mixed with cheap filler that may not be Olive Oil at all and that it is a wide spread problem.

I tried to get around this by ordering Olive Oil from California.. but in most cases, the product is Imported from Europe. Usually Italy, but it can also be spain or Portugal.

So, since I intended to consume a tablespoon of this daily, I didn't want to be chancing that I am drinking tainted Olive Oil. Oil is sometjhing you do not want to fool with when tainted. Some taints can be poisonous or even carginogenic, or at the least - not what you think you are getting.

So I have chosen Canola Oil instead. It is still high in Oleic acid (61%) and very affordable.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleic_acid

smokinjoe

Re: Oleic Acid as a Sirtuin Activator and why Canola oil may be best

Post by smokinjoe »

I remember hearing about that years ago. I know it is still a problem.

I always taste Olive Oil before cooking with it. I have given up on Extra Virgin Olive oil. More than half the time it taates off, even rancid. So I go with regular olive oil for cooking. 

But your Canola oil as a source for OA as a source for a Sirt 1 is fantastic.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

smokinjoe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:27 pm I remember hearing about that years ago. I know it is still a problem.

I always taste Olive Oil before cooking with it. I have given up on Extra Virgin Olive oil. More than half the time it taates off, even rancid. So I go with regular olive oil for cooking. 

But your Canola oil as a source for OA as a source for a Sirt 1 is fantastic.

I wonder how well OA stacks up against Resveratrol.

Anyone aware of a study?

Also is taking Canola Oil at room temperatrue the way we'd take it?

Kind of reminds me of Grandpa taking his CodLiver Oil for Vitamin D/
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Such a coincidence as my mother and I were discussing the same things. There have been rumours of tainted, or at least substandard Olive Oil for decades, and the industry still contends with this.

So whle Canola may be the best second choice - mom hates it, So we've settled on Sunflower Oil. She'll only take it if I do as well, so what the hell, 1 large tablespoon each... no big deal.

TBH I think Olive Oil alone explains the longevity of pockets of populations in the mediteranean. It has been a stable for millenia.
TedB

Post by TedB »

Not sure about its role as a Sirtuin Activator, but if Oleic acid is the magic stuff in Olive Oil, then my Dad is going to be taking a tablespoon a day for Blood Pressure. I was just going to start him on Olive Oil, when I read this post about OO... very unfortunate. 

If we can get it to be 135/xx with exercise and Canola Oil, maybe we can drop on of this Blood Pressure meds, whic is preferable. It is a goal be is responding to and that pleases me no end.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Guys I hate to rain on the parade but, Canola oil is really not a good source and I feel it should be avoided at all cost. Please watch the attached videos as Tom breaks it down quite nicely. The Oleic Acid that you think you are getting has been destroyed in the heating process of making Canola oil. :(

https://youtu.be/5XQWLcaEaMc

https://youtu.be/fgZk3uXmE6Y
TKK

Post by TKK »

I agree that it’s best to avoid seed oils, such as canola oil.  I trust this company’s olive oil. Whole Foods generally carries it. Just make sure to stick with one of their 100% California blends— or even better, one of their single-source California varietals. 
https://www.californiaoliveranch.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvr_V3b2C-AIVSSitBh0p5gCkEAAYASAAEgLFZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

TKK wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:21 am I agree that it’s best to avoid seed oils, such as canola oil.  I trust this company’s olive oil. Whole Foods generally carries it. Just make sure to stick with one of their 100% California blends— or even better, one of their single-source California varietals. 
https://www.californiaoliveranch.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvr_V3b2C-AIVSSitBh0p5gCkEAAYASAAEgLFZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nice find! If the quality can be trusted, I think Olive Oil is the best choice.

Sunflower oil is also a pretty good second choice.
RedPhantom

Post by RedPhantom »

Hey, Just be careful.  Canola and Sunflower Oil are seed oils which if you look up studies, may be the cause of massive inflammation in the population which leads to diabetes, alzheimers, CVD, and most of the major chronic diseases.  
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

RedPhantom wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:39 pm Hey, Just be careful.  Canola and Sunflower Oil are seed oils which if you look up studies, may be the cause of massive inflammation in the population which leads to diabetes, alzheimers, CVD, and most of the major chronic diseases.  

Do you think this is from using them for cooking or taking the uncooked oil directly, which is what i want to do?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic