NutritionStressed vegetables... wha ?

canadahealthy

Re: Stressed vegetables... wha ?

Post by canadahealthy »

stressed plants.

i don't know if I'd know one if i saw one... the fact that they are growing suggests that they are not stressed.

still, broccoli sprouts, when put in the freezer produce much more sulforaphane then when at room temperature.

JanCOhio

Post by JanCOhio »

I googled sulforaphane, and watched a video by a Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

I wasn't 100% clear on all of its benefits, except it helps with Mitochondrial DNA.
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

JanCOhio wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:41 am I googled sulforaphane, and watched a video by a Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

I wasn't 100% clear on all of its benefits, except it helps with Mitochondrial DNA.

In my view everyone needs to boost sulforphane, amazing stuff!

Here are "some" other benefits (you can dive into https://www.foundmyfitness.com to find all this and more):

Sulforaphane detoxifies as it helps remove (e.g. 63% increase in excretion in benzene) from our bodies a wide range of toxic substances (pesticides, aflatoxin, benzene, acrolein, etc), known cancer causing air pollution. Sulforaphane continues to support our body's capacity to protect itself from environmental threats and future toxic exposures. - Just this benefit was reason enough for me!

Some animal research suggests that sulforaphane and its byproducts protect against bladder cancer (and many others).

Glutathione, one of our major antioxidants produced by our bodies that declines with age (another one on the list) is increased with sulforaphane consumption very helpful for our brains. Very positive results with sulforaphane for a lot of brain related diseases.

Nrf2, "a cellular protein that participates in the Keap1-Nrf2-ARE biological pathway." Nrf2 regulates the expression of cytoprotective proteins that protect against oxidative stress due to injury and inflammation. Sulforaphane is the most potent naturally occurring inducer of Nrf2 so is a powerful anti-inflammatory.

Activating Nrf2 also helps mitigate sarcopenia and cardiac dysfunction as you age (more things you don't want to get as you age).

Sulforaphane was shown to reduce communication impairments and behavioral symptoms in young men with autism.

Sulforaphane protects against and reduces biochemical recurrence in men for prostate cancer, my own PSA count for the first time ever went down after increasing consumption of sulforaphane.

In my case I started with Brocolli Sprout powder and sprouting my own sprouts. I also keep trying to reduce overcooking, whist increasing brocolli and other cruciferous vegetables in my diet (don't always win on this front). I have given up sprouting for the moment so am taking 1.5G of this: https://www.cell-logic.com.au/product/b ... 0g-powder/  - 6 days per week. I take 1 day off as sulforaphane is also a powerful anti-microbial (like resveratol) so needed to give my "little friends" or my gut bacteria a break.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Boxcost wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:05 pm
JanCOhio wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:41 am I googled sulforaphane, and watched a video by a Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

Here are "some" other benefits (you can dive into https://www.foundmyfitness.com to find all this and more):

Sulforaphane detoxifies as it helps remove (e.g. 63% increase in excretion in benzene) from our bodies a wide range of toxic substances (pesticides, aflatoxin, benzene, acrolein, etc), known cancer causing air pollution. Sulforaphane continues to support our body's capacity to protect itself from environmental threats and future toxic exposures. - Just this benefit was reason enough for me!

Some animal research suggests that sulforaphane and its byproducts protect against bladder cancer (and many others).

Glutathione, one of our major antioxidants produced by our bodies that declines with age (another one on the list) is increased with sulforaphane consumption very helpful for our brains. Very positive results with sulforaphane for a lot of brain related diseases.

Nrf2, "a cellular protein that participates in the Keap1-Nrf2-ARE biological pathway." Nrf2 regulates the expression of cytoprotective proteins that protect against oxidative stress due to injury and inflammation. Sulforaphane is the most potent naturally occurring inducer of Nrf2 so is a powerful anti-inflammatory.

Activating Nrf2 also helps mitigate sarcopenia and cardiac dysfunction as you age (more things you don't want to get as you age).

Sulforaphane was shown to reduce communication impairments and behavioral symptoms in young men with autism.

Sulforaphane protects against and reduces biochemical recurrence in men for prostate cancer, my own PSA count for the first time ever went down after increasing consumption of sulforaphane.

In my case I started with Brocolli Sprout powder and sprouting my own sprouts. I also keep trying to reduce overcooking, whist increasing brocolli and other cruciferous vegetables in my diet (don't always win on this front). I have given up sprouting for the moment so am taking 1.5G of this: https://www.cell-logic.com.au/product/b ... 0g-powder/  - 6 days per week. I take 1 day off as sulforaphane is also a powerful anti-microbial (like resveratol) so needed to give my "little friends" or my gut bacteria a break.

I have the sprouts in my freezer right now. How much do you take? I take about 1/8 of a teaspoon, more or less... since the frozen stuff is supposed to be much more potent, but i really have no idea how much to take.
OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

I think you can take this stuff too seriously with all the measurements and types of vitamins.  My life has changed dramatically in the past three months by having my first meal of the day, usually around 11 now, being a big salad.  I put as much different stuff as I can in it depending on what I have.  I put a little olive oil and vinaigrette on for taste.  My snacks until dinner are fruits like apples, oranges, strawberries, etc.  My dinner is a pretty normal standard american meal.  I try not to snack at night.  I keep losing weight and feel great.  It's the process of eating good, exercise, and a good nights sleep that matters.  Not measuring every little thing out and looking for a magic bullet supplement.  That's just my opinion, and it's working for me.  I also find having a purpose for each day helpful for the mind. 

Newage

Post by Newage »

OMillsPA wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:17 pm I think you can take this stuff too seriously with all the measurements and types of vitamins.  My life has changed dramatically in the past three months by having my first meal of the day, usually around 11 now, being a big salad.  I put as much different stuff as I can in it depending on what I have.  I put a little olive oil and vinaigrette on for taste.  My snacks until dinner are fruits like apples, oranges, strawberries, etc.  My dinner is a pretty normal standard american meal.  I try not to snack at night.  I keep losing weight and feel great.  It's the process of eating good, exercise, and a good nights sleep that matters.  Not measuring every little thing out and looking for a magic bullet supplement.  That's just my opinion, and it's working for me.  I also find having a purpose for each day helpful for the mind. 

I have to agree. It is far better to be objective rather than obsessive when it comes to longevity. We should all take time to “smell the roses” on our journey.

Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

NewLifeScience wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:29 pm
Boxcost wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:05 pm

I have the sprouts in my freezer right now. How much do you take? I take about 1/8 of a teaspoon, more or less... since the frozen stuff is supposed to be much more potent, but i really have no idea how much to take.

I was freezing as well when I was doing it, used to put a small hand full in my smoothie, did not measure it other than that.

Cell-logic say 1.5G of their powder up to twice a day is whats needed, based on the science to get the benefits. I also look at the powder or sprouts as a vitamin pill or good food as well, not just the precursors to sulforaphane.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I just take a good pinch of it (frozen) about 6 days per week.

after reading the last few posts, I think i will go with 2 pinches.

This forum is pure gold.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Thanks Boxcost for the link to the Sprout Powder. It’s on the list for me to order..👍
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic