NutritionStressed vegetables... wha ?

ChrisBON

Stressed vegetables... wha ?

Post by ChrisBON »

Ok,
i think i have the concept. Plants that have gone through stressful conditions are more likely to contain certain adaptogens in their tissues.

But I am not sure that translates to humans eating them and benefitting.

Does anyone else have knowledge of this diet approach?

rhett

Re: Stressed vegetables... wha ?

Post by rhett »

It’s probably more of a biology nerd thing than useful application, but it turns out that a lot of the compounds that are healthy for humans that come from vegetables are also the ones that plants produce under difficult growing conditions. Basically to compensate for difficult growing conditions, they produce the compounds, which are good for the plant and also good for humans who eat the plant later. 
Newage

Post by Newage »

Plants may be like humans that “what doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger”
To a degree we build up resistance to disease and different stressors by way of exposure.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I read someone on facebook say they were going to grow some bell peppers and just yell at them every day. :P
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Newage wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:47 pm Plants may be like humans that “what doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger”
To a degree we build up resistance to disease and different stressors by way of exposure.

Exactly, what doesnt kill us makes us stronger! I know they do this technique for grapes and in turn you get a more robust wine!
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

drkris69 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:01 pm
Newage wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:47 pm Plants may be like humans that “what doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger”

Exactly, what doesnt kill us makes us stronger! I know they do this technique for grapes and in turn you get a more robust wine!

Got it! Drink lotsa wine, get robust.
Newage

Post by Newage »

ChrisBON wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:43 pm
drkris69 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Got it! Drink lotsa wine, get robust.

🍇🍷 👍

Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

I get the stressed plants, like sitting in the hot sun all day is stressful, so you can assume all plants would experience stress by being on this planet.. just like we do. Organic produce may be typically more stressed, so that could be a thing.

Fundamentally for me, it's good food choices validated by science, plus how I feel and perform as sometimes not everything "good for you" is actually good for you - we are all different!

On food I have been inspired for the last decade by these guys: https://eattobeat.org/ A great collection of foods to choose from, and some great food hacks validated by science like "cooking tomatoes in olive oil" as an example for food synergy!

Also do yourself a favor and buy the book, it is amazing what certain foods can do for our overall health and well being.

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Yes more robust!!! Will also check out the eattobeat.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I go for the darker or brighter colours. They seem to be the best for us.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic