NutritionAge-related hair loss and vitamin E

Fred

Re: Age-related hair loss and vitamin E

Post by Fred »

Retinol most often comes in cream or lotion, but also in serum form. Both retinol and tretinoin causes irritation before the skin down-regulates its retinoid receptors (because when there´s enough vitamin A, you don´t need as many receptors).

Replenix silicone-based serums are sold at dermatologist offices. Same with Obagi retinol. They both make very good glycolic and retinol products.

But best is to use the prescription activated retinol: tretinoin (all-trans retinoic acid). Try to change to that after using retinol for 2-3 months. Retinol has to be converted in several steps to retinoic acid. Best is to use that active form of vitamin A. I buy mine from a pharmacy in UK. They write a prescription online.

Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

I’ve heard that a side effect of minoxidil is impotency in men. Anyone want to chime in on that? Fred? You seem to be well versed on the topic.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am I’ve heard that a side effect of minoxidil is impotency in men. Anyone want to chime in on that? Fred? You seem to be well versed on the topic.
You are thinking of the other drug against hair loss, finasteride. It´s an oral drug which can cause erectile dysfunction.

Minoxidil is a topical solution for the scalp. It does not cause ED.
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

We are slowly moving away from the main topic of nutrition but it is true that a small minority of people will report ED after taking 5α-reductase enzyme inhibitors like finasteride or dutasteride. This side-effect might be at least partially attributed to the nocebo effect as people also report these problems when given a placebo.

Some compounds found in plants are natural 5α-reductase enzyme inhibitors, e.g. catechin (green tea), fisetin (strawberries) and myricetin (multiple vegetables and nuts).
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Thanks Fred. Is Minoxidil relatively safe to use?

thanks
Fred

Post by Fred »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:55 pm Thanks Fred. Is Minoxidil relatively safe to use?

thanks
Yes, it is safe. You have the side effects listed in the drug monograph.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/rogaine-side-effects.html
Longevity36

Post by Longevity36 »

The balding predominantly reminds Me of the description/symptoms of Senescence cells . Cells that spread and tell other cells not to reproduce. Zombie cells that don’t die. Laying in white fatty regions like our scalp. maybe the Quercetin / senescence cell cure is just what we need to grow back hair!
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Fred wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:50 pm He is a non-practising chiropractor who uses ketogenic diets to treat "everything", despite the lack of evidence doing so.
This has to be one of the funniest things i have read on here.. :)
mayrasingh25

Post by mayrasingh25 »

How to deal with hairloss problem is a big question nowadays. Hair loss can be caused of many reasons, but age related hair loss problem is difficult to deal with. As the age increases, the level of vitamins and minerals start decreases. That's why, it is must to maintain a level of vitamins and other nutrients in all ages to stay away from hair fall problem.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

There is a great study using minoxydl and microneedling in tandum to greatly increase new hair growth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic