NutritionAge-related hair loss and vitamin E

Macrobian

Age-related hair loss and vitamin E

Post by Macrobian »

One of the biggest cosmetic challenges associated with ageing is hair loss which affects most men (~70%) and women (~60%). We know, at least since 2000 (Naziroglu and Kokcam), that hair loss is associated with an increased oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation.

A relatively small double-blind placebo-controlled trial (n=21) from 2010 (Beoy et al.) looked into whether vitamin E supplementation can increase hair count. Because α-tocotrienol was shown to be 40-60-fold more potent than α-tocopherol against lipid peroxidation in rat liver microsomal membranes, the participants were given 50 mg of mixed tocotrienols per day (note that tocotrienols are less popular than tocopherols).

The treatment group's hair count increased by 15.2% after just 4 months and by 34.5% after 8 months. One participant in the treatment group did not experience an increase in their hair count. There was no significant change in the placebo group (the hair count change was -0.1% after 8 months). There was a change in hair weight after 8 months (5.9% for the treatment group and -2.0% for the placebo group) but it did not reach statistical significance (perhaps due to the small sample size).

Of course the study is small and has many limitations (e.g. men and women analysed together) but it strongly suggests that a supplementation or nutrition-based approach should be considered in treating or slowing down hair loss. Rice bran has one of the highest concentrations of α-tocotrienol (236 mg/L). Other natural sources of tocotrienols are barley, hazelnut, walnut, flax seeds, oats, maize and poppy.

Have any of you tried supplementing tocotrienols (or increasing the intake through diet) and have noticed improvements in your hair?

Vandevalk1

Re: Age-related hair loss and vitamin E

Post by Vandevalk1 »

A very interesting topic here. I have never supplemented with tocotrienols but I am intrigued... do you know the age group of this study? I have heard that once the hair follicle dies and falls out completely, there is no known way to regenerate it other than transplants. I am curious to know if the hair that was repaired was currently existing and was just repaired...

To supplement these tocotrienols into ones diet almost seems unrealistic due to the quantity you would need of these grains. If it is most abundant in rice bran oil, and there is 205mg of tocotrienol per litre, and the study consumed 50mg of tocktrienol, than you would have to consume around 250ml/day of rice bran oil which is a cooking oil. I don’t think anyone would do this. Obviously the study had an extracted concentrate of tocotrienol.
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

The age range for this study was 18-59. Changes in the hair count were measured in the areas where there was hair thinning rather than a complete hair loss. However, we should remember that sometimes areas that appear to be completely bald to a naked eye might still have some very miniaturised hair follicles. A hair transplant does not really provide any regeneration sensu stricto, all it does is move hair follicles from the back of one's head to the areas affected by balding. Hair follicles removed from the donor area do not grow back and leave small scars.

236 mg/litre is just the concentration of α-tocotrienol in rice bran oil but there are also three different tocotrienols - β-tocotrienol, γ-tocotrienol and δ-tocotrienol. The study used 50 mg of mixed tocotrienols, not just α-tocotrienol. Other sources of tocotrienols include oats, pumpkin seeds, amaranth, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax seeds, maize, palm fruit, safflower and poppies. It is not impossible to achieve 50 mg through diet but it would certainly take some planning (e.g. a porridge made of 100 g of oats would provide ~6 mg of α-tocotrienol). Tocotrienols are understudied in comparison to tocopherols but this will certainly improve in the future.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Totally agree. It's a lot of planning and determination. I guess it all depends on how bald you are. :lol: I will wait for a pill with all the Tocotrienols incapsulated in a concentrate.

None the less, a very interesting study!
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Question; are there tocotrienols in vitamin E?
I wonder if one just supplemented with vitamin E if they would receive benefits...
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

Tocotrienols are part of the vitamin E family (which is divided into tocopherols and tocotrienols). Most vitamin E supplements are in the form of tocopherols rather than tocotrienols.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

That's funny, i was going to wait it out for a stem cell solution :)
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

so since we are looking for tocotrienols instead of tocopherols, it sounds like vitamin E is not a solution
Macrobian

Post by Macrobian »

Tocotrienols are a less common form of vitamin E - most supplements are in the form of tocopherols, but some are in the form of tocotrienols or both tocopherols and tocotrienols.
glo

Post by glo »

Have not tried bit e trocotrienals

BUt offer this, from hard learning, dhea decreases with age so let’s cortisol do it’s worst without any repair after wards, No anabolic fixing. Some mentioned being 70, by then women can have 50 mg a day dhea and men say 70. Grew my hair back after 15 years on seratide aka prednisone puffer, rebuilding bones skin, eyes, heart muscle.
Secondly I bought hair products from revivserums.com, a startup at the time. Put products from cosmeceuticals competitions for world’s best, pack in and sell at best price,
The hair products do work, kept hair on my head when on bad drug, grew eyelashes to touch cheeks. Grew hair where it receded. Prices under 50 usd. Am Aus so not sure on usd prices. Free shipping overseas.
With NMN as well in my opinion will get good growth.
Used their telermerase face stuff and it kept my face on. Lots don’t survive what I was given.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic