FastingArticle: "More than weight loss: Intermittent fasting's health benefits unveiled"

OzSport

Article: "More than weight loss: Intermittent fasting's health benefits unveiled"

Post by OzSport »

Check out this recent article about the benefits of intermittent fasting:

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health ... l#comments

Some of the benefits mentioned include improved blood sugar levels and lower levels of inflammation in the body, but no consensus yet on the ideal length of time to fast.

drkris69

Re: Article: "More than weight loss: Intermittent fasting's health benefits unveiled"

Post by drkris69 »

Great article, I fast everyday and since Jan 1st Ive lost 40 lbs. Autophagy is so important and it stimulates the immune system and allows your body to fight things like viruses and bacteria, plus I like the way I feel not all bogged down with food trying to digest all the time.
RobSmith

Re: Article: "More than weight loss: Intermittent fasting's health benefits unveiled"

Post by RobSmith »

I recommend reading The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung - lots in this book about fasting over different time periods.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I am trying a modest supper with no snack at night... with less than modest success, but i will get there... evening is my weak time..
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

Hi smokinjoe,
I think you could try this in gradual steps. Firstly just cut out all snacks which also means outside of mealtimes only drink water, black tea, green tea or black coffee (no milk, sugar or sweeteners) so as not to induce an intermittent insulin response (which also happens with most sweeteners, which is why they don't work in stopping obesity). This is tough in itself and needs some self discipline. Then if possible, try to gradually move your breakfast to later in the morning and/or your supper to earlier in the evening even if only in increments of 5 minutes a day. This effectively increases your overnight fasting time. Eventually, they should be close enough that you can either miss lunch, stop breakfast and turn lunch into brunch, or have a very late lunch and stop the supper. I thought stopping the supper would be easiest, but being busy which I am with work in the morning means I'm too pre-occupied to think about being hungry because of not having breakfast and the hunger soon wears off anyway in the morning. Also, I've read that there is something in green tea that acts like an appetite suppressant, so I have that in the morning and I think that also helps, whilst I also read that black coffee helps to convert fat into sugars, so I follow up the green tea with a black coffee in the morning and 6 weeks on from starting this process, I now don't have a problem missing breakfast and my lunch is back to the middle of the day as it was before.
Hope that is helpful - good luck!
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Yes Im familiar with Dr. Fung's work. He's got a great youtube channel that I often watch.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic