FastingSo are any of you fasting during this lockdown?

drkris69

Re: So are any of you fasting during this lockdown?

Post by drkris69 »

Newage you are a beast!

Protoloco

Post by Protoloco »

Newage wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 pm
Protoloco wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 pm
Newage wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:56 pm I’m now right on 70 years of age and can run a hundred metres in low 13 seconds
I hope you run Masters track meets. You'd be winning national championships now and if you maintain that time for a few more years you'd be in world record territory!
Thanks Protocolo.
I have only been back running for under 12 months now after a 55 year hiatus.
At the moment I’m just doing my own thing building fitness and strength along with working and reactivating fast muscle twitch fibres.
There are some goals in mind if the body stays together and I can limit my injuries. A big task as you get older..
“Words are Cheap” as only results count so we will see what happens.
You are right in saying that running sub 13’s puts you on the big stage...
That's awesome, good luck with getting back out there!
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Looking back on this... i am happy to say that Canada has finally calmed down the pandemic and more specifically Northern Ontario is virtually case free.

Everyone seems to have found their pandemic rhythm, and despite a few protests and inflammatory facebook posts, we got a handle on this.

That being said, I would feel safe trying some more 'extreme' fasting, that is, multiple days. This is also more possible since my schedule has changed so much and I am doing a lot around the house.

I haven't noticed any energy deficit with a 12 hour fast (I am running on the treeadmill 4 days poer week) or even an all day fast. But I would like to try a 5 day fast and will probably start it soon, possibly Sunday.

We aren't in lockdown anymore, but we have adapted our behaviour so that we are managing the pandemic far better than in March and April.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

That's cool canadahealthy.

As I posted elsewhere, I did find myself in a unique situation to do a heavy duty fast. It was after the lockdown stage, but during a forced isolation after travelling to another province.

Also i have been able to get back into regular cardio vascular work and even light workouts.

I fully intend to lose 50 pounds by the end of the year, and this pandemic just gives me more times during the day to get my run it,, as well as my muscle workouts. I am now 16 pounds down. I hope the next time i step on the scale i am down another 10-15 pounds.
Peterbythesea

Post by Peterbythesea »

I am.

I do keto as well as 16 8 intermittent fast. Once a month or so I will do an extended fast and perhaps not eat for 36 to 48 hrs. The current science on this shows little benefit in the areas I want to improve after that length of time.

I also throw in cheat days where I will do a social breakfast or indulge in a carb laden meal - pizza calazone for instance or some beers and wine with friends. This again is ad hoc but part of the plan as the body always achieves homo stasis unless you change things up randomly.

Having been doing this for about a year I have to report the notion of hunger is simply not the same. I rarely if ever experience hunger in the way I did for the majority of my life. I have zero food cravings. I snack rarely between meals.

So nothing changed on lockdown for me as there was no reason to.

Cheers
Pete
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Peterbythesea wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:30 am I am.

I do keto as well as 16 8 intermittent fast. Once a month or so I will do an extended fast and perhaps not eat for 36 to 48 hrs. The current science on this shows little benefit in the areas I want to improve after that length of time.

I also throw in cheat days where I will do a social breakfast or indulge in a carb laden meal - pizza calazone for instance or some beers and wine with friends. This again is ad hoc but part of the plan as the body always achieves homo stasis unless you change things up randomly.

Having been doing this for about a year I have to report the notion of hunger is simply not the same. I rarely if ever experience hunger in the way I did for the majority of my life. I have zero food cravings. I snack rarely between meals.

So nothing changed on lockdown for me as there was no reason to.

Cheers
Pete
This is good to hear. It is interesting how our bodies are so pliable with respect to calories in and body weight. There is almost no relation of cause and effect, unless you are eating high carbs.

I don't do any strict keto, but do try to avoid the refined starches and carbs, and eat more fat and protein. But it's largely the running that is making me lose weight, not the diet..
Newage

Post by Newage »

Sticking to my daily intermittent fast...
20 hours of only supplements and Alkaline Water and then 4 hours of grazing between 2pm and 6pm.(Now 5 days..Monday to Friday) I have never felt better or run faster....
I said it once before “you have to be able to catch the rabbit to then eat the rabbit”
In other words, you have to earn your food..not always just from the convenience of a supermarket shelf.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Newage wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 am Sticking to my daily intermittent fast...
20 hours of only supplements and Alkaline Water and then 4 hours of grazing between 2pm and 6pm.(Now 5 days..Monday to Friday) I have never felt better or run faster....
I said it once before “you have to be able to catch the rabbit to then eat the rabbit”
In other words, you have to earn your food..not always just from the convenience of a supermarket shelf.
We should be taught human evolutionarily history in school. Why easy access to carbs and refined foods is killing us... why we need to exercise our bodies as if we were still out there foraging. Why NOT acting this way can lead to diabetes, obesity and/or worse.

I think if kids got the whole perspective while they were young they could act with the wisdom of millenia of evolution.. (and preach to their parents!)

I see more obese kids now than ever. I know in some cases there are significant genetics at play. when I was in public school, it may have been 1 kid in 30 tops... now it seems more like one kid in 5-6.
Newage

Post by Newage »

Similar percentage for cancer and other significant disease.
“We are what we eat” and quantity plays a major role also. It was not that easy in ancient times to leave the cave to forage or hunt and a lot of the time you would go hungry...
(intermittent fasting) No doctors or Chemist so Inflammation, obesity and other issues needed to be dealt with naturally by way of lifestyle.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I just managed my third 'afternoon/evening' fast, from after lunch to breakfast the next morning.

I have found that the most difficult to follow. It is taking some getting used to, going to bed on an empty stomach, but it is really an issue of mind over matter.

It also makes breakfast just so much better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic