FastingWhat are your results from a Fasting Mimicking Diet

MJClark

What are your results from a Fasting Mimicking Diet

Post by MJClark »

In his book "The Longevity Diet" Dr.  Valter Longo promotes what a vegetarian/Pescetarian/Mediterranean style diet for longevity. But he also recommends a fasting mimicking diet a couple times of year, more if you have particular health conditions. It is a five day diet with the following:
  • On day 1, you consume 1,100 calories. Of those calories, 11% should come from protein, 46% from fat and 43% from carbohydrate.
  • On days 2 through 5, you’ll consume just 725 calories per day, with a macronutrient breakdown of 9% protein, 44% fat and 47% carbohydrate.
I am thinking about giving his a shot after the first of the year and I was wondering if anyone else in here has done it, and if so, what were your results. For me, I want to kick start some fat burning in my midsection as well as reset my system. I know that there are studies that indicate that a 72 hour fast will boost your immune system and stem-cell production, but I was curious if something like this will also provide the same results. 

If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
smokinjoe

Re: What are your results from a Fasting Mimicking Diet

Post by smokinjoe »

I don't want to hijack this thread, but i would rather do the fast than try to do a mimicking diet.

So anywhere from one meal to a whole day.

But if you can do this, you will be able to have a full day of meals and benefit from fasting. I assume you have no weight to lose. If you did have weight to lose, perhaps regular fasting would be more suitable.
MJClark

Post by MJClark »

smokinjoe wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:24 am I don't want to hijack this thread, but i would rather do the fast than try to do a mimicking diet.

So anywhere from one meal to a whole day.

But if you can do this, you will be able to have a full day of meals and benefit from fasting. I assume you have no weight to lose. If you did have weight to lose, perhaps regular fasting would be more suitable.

I have done up to a 48 hour water and black coffee fast, but really have not been able to get past that threshold. The FMD is a 5-day program and I wanted to see if I can hit the results for stemcell regeneration and immunity reset, which appears to happen around 72 hours. 
If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Hi MJClark.
This is a great idea. The one thing I was told by PHD on diet was to limit protein to 15g per day for at least 5 days. That will maximize the autophagy and stem cell activity, and immune boosting activity.

Normally, I would never be able to do a 5-7 day fast. But last year I went to my house-project in Nova Scotia (i live in Ontario) to prep the house for sale. This was in August and I had to self-isolate for 14 days. So i brought food with me. It was beautifully sunny. Under these circumstances I was able to do a 7 day fast. I actually lost 18 pounds and it started a fantastic weight loss trend. I feel like I lost around 6 years of age.

So if i were to do it again, I would do the FMD. I suppose I would prepare most meals in advance. It is totally worth it to do this fast. If it can produce the same results as the crazy fast I did - I say go for it. and try to do it twice more within a year.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

I have just finished a week of fasting mimicking. I rarely have the self control to NOT eat after 5:30 pm (dinner time) but I managed to hold firm for 7 days, I kept my protein low and my portions small. 

The only indication i was doing it right is that I feel great. I may even have lost a couple pounds.. which is great because I gained a couple over the holidays.
michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

So I guess the benefits are similar to real fasting, boosting Nad+, promoting autophagy and lowering inflammation. I assume it isn't quite as good as the real thing, unless you there is a proven, precise what to get such results.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I am ready to start this diet.

Can anyone offer an authoritative link for this diet?

I have done the real thing for 7 days, but i don't think i will do it again for a long while.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic