FastingAnyone fasting or planning to?

NewLifeScience
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by NewLifeScience » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:35 pm

I am still doing intermittent fasting. I can't do a full fast, mostly because I am a little stressed looking after my now 86 year old mother.

I might try a 3 day fast the next time my sister comes to help.

I watched a video on water fasting... made me a bit nostalgic. I think they were saying it really helps with the complexion. That is why i want to fast while winter is still here.


JanCOhio
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 am

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by JanCOhio » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:45 am

I haven't thought about actually doing a 3 or 7 day fast. But I do occasionally fast during the week, one meal, two tops.

I have read up about it and it seems the first 24-48 hours are the toughest. I can't imagine that being fun.

If I do get around to try it, it will be when i have some time off. It would be nice to see the results, maybe more youthful skin.

I am on the fence. But to greatly improve my skin (and health) I think i am leaning towards trying it.
Boxcost
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by Boxcost » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:05 am

I am interested in trying a 3 day water fast, but have not found the "right time". I do have periods of no food for at least 16-18 hours 4 days a week, typically exercise during this to accelerate so am doing this regularly. I only have 1-2kg buffer above my "ideal weight",  I like the buffer, in my view nothing wrong with a little "redundancy" :)

Given I do not have a lot of weight to lose I am concerned about going too hard but really want to try it and get the benefits of a prolonged fast to eventually locking one in as a 3 or 6 monthly event.

I just finished watching this video on the subject, a good one to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6UhhV_K1s

Even more inspired now!
RobSmith
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by RobSmith » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:59 am

As I've mentioned before, to make it a bit easier for first timers, I'd recommend to go on a keto diet for several days beforehand to get the body used to functioning on ketones, and then it isn't such a shock to the body when fasting. Also, don't be put off trying again if you only get to 36hours, then aim for 48hrs the next time and build it gradually up to the 3 - 4 day level. That's what I ended up having to do - I managed 3 days on my fourth attempt. 

Also, to answer Boxcost, I have little or no extra weight, I still lose on average 1Kg a day when fasting, so I end up around 3Kg under optimal/normal, but it tends to go straight back on within a couple of days (I suspect its metabolism slowing and then going back to where it was before that enables this).
Boxcost
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by Boxcost » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:03 am

RobSmith wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:59 am
As I've mentioned before, to make it a bit easier for first timers, I'd recommend to go on a keto diet for several days beforehand to get the body used to functioning on ketones, and then it isn't such a shock to the body when fasting. Also, don't be put off trying again if you only get to 36hours, then aim for 48hrs the next time and build it gradually up to the 3 - 4 day level. That's what I ended up having to do - I managed 3 days on my fourth attempt. 

Also, to answer Boxcost, I have little or no extra weight, I still lose on average 1Kg a day when fasting, so I end up around 3Kg under optimal/normal, but it tends to go straight back on within a couple of days (I suspect its metabolism slowing and then going back to where it was before that enables this).

 
Great suggestions @RobSmith.

From the  strategy that Dr. Pradip Jamnadas rolls out he targets first his clients diet (remove sugars, go whole foods only so basically like you said - keto!) then gradually builds up their tolerable fasting period to 24hrs. Once they nail that he pushes them to 36hrs i.e. just skip the planned breakfast or dinner, once they can do that he pushes them to 3 days very quickly.

The whole process I assume would take many months to complete so good lesson to not just jump in "boots an all" too quickly!

Thanks on the weight concern, the 1kg per day. I think I can get going on the journey now so go for 24hrs, then 36hrs and so on. May as well give that a crack and see what happens :)
 
TedB
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 19, 2021 1:55 pm

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by TedB » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:36 am

I did a 7 day fast back in November. Had good support here. I lost about 15 pounds and kept it off and actually am down 20 pounds now.

I still intermittently fast.

I really i am glad i did that 7 day fast, but i don't see myself doing it again for a very long time! 

I did not get my usual aches and pains this winter, and i attribute it to NMN but maybe the fasting helped. 

I do feel the cold a bit more, but being 20 pounds lighter.. i lost a couple fur coats in weight!
TedB
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 19, 2021 1:55 pm

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by TedB » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:37 am

I did a 7 day fast back in November. Had good support here. I lost about 15 pounds and kept it off and actually am down 20 pounds now.

I still intermittently fast.

I really i am glad i did that 7 day fast, but i don't see myself doing it again for a very long time! 

I did not get my usual aches and pains this winter, and i attribute it to NMN but maybe the fasting helped. 

I do feel the cold a bit more, but being 20 pounds lighter.. i lost a couple fur coats in weight!
 
noko
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:41 pm

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by noko » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:54 pm

Normally do intermittent Fasting, 80% of the time, 2 meals a day but also will do 24hr or OMAD. Done 36hr, 52hr, 3 Day and 5 Day. On both the 3 Day and 5 Day I lost muscle strength (determined by max weight and repetition ability on various Planet Fitness machines). It took weeks to recover the loss in muscle strength. The 5 day was easier to do then the 3 day, I owe that my body is adapting more to fasting as time goes on.

I think each person is different, age, health, genetics etc. I normally eat a lower to low carb diet as in less than 50grams of carbs a day, sometimes less than 20g/day, burning fat my body is accustomed to more than I would say an average person. Anyways fasting for me is relatively easy, skipping a day is virtually nothing, sometimes I eat anyways for example to get protein for working out.

I am aged 62, been taking NR for over a year and last several months NMN, NAD+ from Renue (previously Alive). If my Garmin wactch and Connect Program (By Garmin) is accurate, it says my VO2 levels is in the top 10% for my age group and my fitness age is 33 years old. Figure that. I have not been this physically fit since my 20's so this has been a very interesting ride so far.
Newage
Posts: 1573
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by Newage » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:02 pm

TedB wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:37 am
I did a 7 day fast back in November. Had good support here. I lost about 15 pounds and kept it off and actually am down 20 pounds now.

I still intermittently fast.

I really i am glad i did that 7 day fast, but i don't see myself doing it again for a very long time! 

I did not get my usual aches and pains this winter, and i attribute it to NMN but maybe the fasting helped. 

I do feel the cold a bit more, but being 20 pounds lighter.. i lost a couple fur coats in weight!
 

 
The “down side” to being trim and terrific TedB is that you lose a certain amount of the insulation barrier to the cold.
But overall a far better and healthier way to be.
Remember with any weight loss you are trimming the internal “brown fat” as well but in saying that, the brown “organ fat” is always the last to go..
 
Boxcost
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Re: Anyone fasting or planning to?

Post by Boxcost » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:45 am

Newage wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:02 pm
TedB wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:37 am
I did a 7 day fast back in November. Had good support here. I lost about 15 pounds and kept it off and actually am down 20 pounds now.

I still intermittently fast.

I really i am glad i did that 7 day fast, but i don't see myself doing it again for a very long time! 

I did not get my usual aches and pains this winter, and i attribute it to NMN but maybe the fasting helped. 

I do feel the cold a bit more, but being 20 pounds lighter.. i lost a couple fur coats in weight!
 


 
The “down side” to being trim and terrific TedB is that you lose a certain amount of the insulation barrier to the cold.
But overall a far better and healthier way to be.
Remember with any weight loss you are trimming the internal “brown fat” as well but in saying that, the brown “organ fat” is always the last to go..
 

 
Have cold showers, a shore fire way to build brown fat :shock:

Over 3 years I have gradually built up to a minimum 3min cold shower every day (you know you start small on these things :shock:). I can handle the cold now much better than I ever used to, changed my life. If you have told me 4 years ago to try and have a cold shower I would have said no way, hate the cold not interested in even thinking about trying!



 
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic