Healthy Aging News and ResearchIs liposomal worth it? or just take the cheaper version with fat?

Boxcost

Is liposomal worth it? or just take the cheaper version with fat?

Post by Boxcost »

That is a question I have had in the back of my mind for any supplement that is fat-soluble, or noted to have better absorption with fat such as Resveratrol.

This study from a year ago I found was specifically on vitamin A, D3, E, K1, and K2-MK7 and guess what? Liposomal formulation still wins! :)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35054157/

PJM

Re: Is liposomal worth it? or just take the cheaper version with fat?

Post by PJM »

This is not impressive.

They appeared to have shown that unit per unit, a liposomal formulation of a vitamin is going to result in higher bioavailability than a "standard" (non-liposomal) formulation.

No surprise; we expect that to be true.

What they didn't show was what would have happened if they increased the dosage of the standard vitamin.  They might very well have achieved the same or higher levels of bioavailability than liposomal at a lower cost.

Sometimes it makes more sense to just take more of a product (mainly if it's a cheap one) than paying the price to take a liposomal version.

Newage

Post by Newage »

PJM wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:12 am This is not impressive.

They appeared to have shown that unit per unit, a liposomal formulation of a vitamin is going to result in higher bioavailability than a "standard" (non-liposomal) formulation.

What they didn't show was what would have happened if they increased the dosage of the standard vitamin.  They might very well have achieved the same or higher levels of bioavailability than liposomal at a lower cost.

Sometimes it makes more sense to just take more of a product (mainly if it's a cheap one) than paying the price to take a liposomal version.

Liposomal products “all the way” for this little black duck.. :roll:

michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

I agree with where you are coming from.

For example I have taken up to 2 grams of Berberine because so little of it gets absorbed. But Lipo Berberine gets more absorbed for less cost, as least wherei used to get it.

As for NMN or NAD+ this stuff is not so cheap. I don't want to waste any of it. 
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

I would tend to agree, fundamentally its about "multiplier" when you are looking at the dollars though. It was still good to see that Liposomal increased absorption, we do need more studies.

The question has always been "what is the actual multiplier of liposomal vs other methods?". That is how much more do you actually get into your system vs standard methods. This ties to 1) purchasing price per gram of active substance, 2) targeted dose. On this subject 3 Years ago I posed this question to RBS with expectations at the time for liposomal to be typically 3x to 5x better.

Back to the The study specifically covering vitamin A, D3, E, K1, and K2-MK7. To be clear on what I do, I do not supplement vitamin A, K1, have dabbled with vitamin E but no longer, I always try to get what my body needs from food first, then supplement. I do supplement K2-MK7 & D3 but I do not take lipsomal versions of K2-MK7 & D3 at this stage.
michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

Right on Boxcost.

With NMN and Berberine. The idea of Liposomes is that the suppliment is surviving its trip through the digestive tract and then being matabolised by the liver. 

Not only that, but there can be a timed-release effect that is excellent for both.

I remember doing the 6 tablets sublingually. I waited long as I could to ensure most of it was absorbed via SL, but Lipo is just a matter of popping a capsule.

PJM

Post by PJM »

We have very current research showing lipo berberine has 628% of the bioavailability of non-lipo berberine.

I won't write out all the math, but basically Renue's lipo berberine is about 10% more expensive per gram of bioavailability vs. Nutricost's non-lipo berberine bought on Amazon (exclusive of shipping).

I take Renue's berberine because it stays in the bloodstream longer and that's important if you use berberine to help with blood pressure.  Whether that's important or not for treatment of high A1C or high cholesterol is unclear to me (btw, using berberine for blood pressure control doesn't work for everybody). 

Unfortunately we don't have bioavailability comparisons for many, if not most, of the products folks on this forum take so doing apples-apples comparisons of lipo vs. non-lipo is really a guessing game.

(see https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic