Healthy Aging News and ResearchNew robot can 3D print biomaterials inside human body without major surgery

jocko6889

New robot can 3D print biomaterials inside human body without major surgery

Post by jocko6889 »

3D printing has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years, with some large scale printers being used to build houses.  Now, a new 3D device can print living cells inside the human body.

The tiny, flexible device has the ability to enter the body like an endoscope and print multilayered biomaterials directly onto the surface of internal organs and tissues.  They predict that within 5 to 7 years they'll be able to acess hard-to-reach areas inside the body through small skin incisions or natural orifices.
"Existing 3D bioprinting techniques require biomaterials to be made outside the body and implanting that into a person would usually require large open-field open surgery which increases infection risks" 

"Our flexible 3D bioprinter means biomaterials can be directly delivered into the target tissue or organs with a minimally invasive approach. This system offers the potential for the precise reconstruction of three-dimensional wounds inside the body, such as gastric wall injuries or damage and disease inside the colon"
Read the full article at the link below:
https://studyfinds.org/robot-3d-print-i ... uman-body/

OMillsPA

Re: New robot can 3D print biomaterials inside human body without major surgery

Post by OMillsPA »

It didn't say it, but I'm thinking this would be great if it could do cartilage for knees.  I would much rather have 3d cartilage, than a total knee replacement down the road.  (Total knee - One of my biggest fears.)

drkris69

Re: New robot can 3D print biomaterials inside human body without major surgery

Post by drkris69 »

Very cool study there Jocko. Science and Technology are catching up with each other.  :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic