Healthy Aging News and ResearchTaking breaks

Roxed

Taking breaks

Post by Roxed »

Is it necessary to take days off when taking NMN?

nebilbehar

Re: Taking breaks

Post by nebilbehar »

I've been on increasing doses of nmn initially oral then sublingual for the past 18 months along with pterostilbene, micellised curcumin, quercetin.
Recently however I have experienced extreme fatigue after taking it. This has stopped after stopping nmn after few days but now restarts as soon as I go back on nmn even with a small dose. I have started taking 250mg choline daily which seems to reverse the fatigue but I also decided to take a break from nmn for a while. I was upto 800mg daily sublingual when I started to have this significant side effect.
Not sure what to do next. I would really appreciate opinion here. I am reluctant to stop taking nad boosters altogether as I have had an amazing result with it last 2 years; exercise tolerance same as in my 20s (I am 50), people telling me constantly I look younger then before, beaten autoimmune condition!
ruleofthumb61

Post by ruleofthumb61 »

Roxed wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:34 am Is it necessary to take days off when taking NMN?
From what I understand, you should take 2 days off to avoid homeostasis.
Pilgrim79

Post by Pilgrim79 »

Does Alive By Nature have a position on this topic? I have never taken breaks in usage before. I'd be interested if this is a good idea to incorporate in a NMN or NAD+ regimen? I believe the issue is homeostasis?
Newage

Post by Newage »

From my personal experience, taking up to 500 milligrams of NMN per day I take at least one day off a week.
Taking 500 to 1000 milligrams per day I take two days off a week.
I use the weekends as a guide..
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

As someone who took a 2 meal fast every day for three months, (years ago) it seemed that my body simply got used to the change after about 8-10 weeks and my weight began going back up.

i am not one to mix and match my fasting, preferring to be consistent. But i do think my body adjusts, and in a sense it really is no longer a fast.

in that respect, i think that skipping a day or 2 each week might prevent our metabolism from performing some form of compensation - but since the molecules we are taking are generated by fasting - maybe skipping isn't necessary.

so i am kind of on the fence, but i do skip one day per week. :)
Taytaytay195

Post by Taytaytay195 »

nebilbehar wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 am I've been on increasing doses of nmn initially oral then sublingual for the past 18 months along with pterostilbene, micellised curcumin, quercetin.
Recently however I have experienced extreme fatigue after taking it. This has stopped after stopping nmn after few days but now restarts as soon as I go back on nmn even with a small dose. I have started taking 250mg choline daily which seems to reverse the fatigue but I also decided to take a break from nmn for a while. I was upto 800mg daily sublingual when I started to have this significant side effect.
Not sure what to do next. I would really appreciate opinion here. I am reluctant to stop taking nad boosters altogether as I have had an amazing result with it last 2 years; exercise tolerance same as in my 20s (I am 50), people telling me constantly I look younger then before, beaten autoimmune condition!
I tried a similar regimen and our age is close with my weight being 160 lbs. I personally found that more then 375mg a day causes a similar effect on me, with other times an extreme caffeine effect. Also I believe boosting your nad+ levels happens in the early morning and before bedtime, so I am only taking nmn in the morning as to not disrupt my sleep(5-6 hours a night) with Sunday off all supplements.
I have recently added metformin to my regimen so I "pulse" these two back and forth with hard exercise on my "nmn" days and on Sunday.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

I have not seen any issues with taking NAD+/NMN on a consistent basis. I have not found any research that has shown a reason to take a break. Is there anyone that has seen major differences in how they feel by taking a break?
Taytaytay195

Post by Taytaytay195 »

After my day break, my body just feels "reset". I keep the same boost of energy, performance, and clarity as the beginning of my journey without increasing my 250 Mg every other day(after adding metformin). I have played around with higher dosing, non-pulsing, etc. and found this is what works for me as of now.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

That is great that this work for you and further reinforces the fact that each person is different. A regimen needs to be custom made to the individual. If you feel better taking a day off every week that is great!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic