Healthy Aging News and ResearchAnyone is taking rapamycin or metformin?

AlbertY

Re: Anyone is taking rapamycin or metformin?

Post by AlbertY »

SeanYates wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:57 pm yes i have been taking for a while

No Diabetes but am after it for the possible benefits health and longevity.

From what i can see there doesn't seem to be too many bad side effects.
but the studies seem to focus on the older and diabetic population.

"Safety. Metformin has been used with an excellent safety record for over 60 years. Side effects are monitored closely within clinical trials, and the safety of metformin use in DPP/DPPOS was reported on in 2012, when over 18,000 patients-years of follow-up had accrued, and by which time ∼20% of the cohort was age 70 or older (mean age ∼64). There were no cases of lactic acidosis or significant hypoglycemia (Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, 2012). Mild anemia occurred in ∼12% of metformin-treated participants versus ∼8% in the placebo group (p = 0.04). Vitamin B12 deficiency occurred in ∼7% of metformin group versus 5% in placebo group after 13 years; risk of B12 deficiency increases with duration of use but was not greater in older compared with younger subjects in DPPOS (Lalau et al., 1990). Further, the risk of lactic acidosis appears to be related to renal function, not age per se, and is currently considered to be very low (Aroda et al., 2016)."
Thank you for sharing. The world first anti-aging clinical trial using metformin is coming soon, check my another post viewtopic.php?f=77&t=727&p=1110#p1110

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
topdog999

Post by topdog999 »

There are many documented studies that berberine mimics the effect of metformin. Studies have been done which include berberine's ability to stimulate AMP protein kinase (AMPK) which can affect insulin sensitivity, lowering of triglycerides, lowering of blood glucose anti-inflammatory effects, anti-neoplastic, and many other physiological functions.
One recent study of many done recently:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5839379/
Berberine is inexpensive to buy, is an over the counter supplementand is used in some weight loss programs. Metformin is a prescription medication.
Of course anyone taking any supplement needs to know the side effects and
how it could affect your particular health status.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Here are the side effects shown on the RXLIST website;

"WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS ASSOCIATED WITH USING METFORMIN?
Side effects of metformin include:

physical weakness (asthenia)
diarrhea
gas (flatulence)
symptoms of weakness, muscle pain (myalgia)
upper respiratory tract infection
low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
abdominal pain (GI complaints), lactic acidosis (rare)
low blood levels of vitamin B-12
nausea
vomiting
chest discomfort
chills, dizziness
bloating/abdominal distention
constipation
heartburn"

most of these side effects seem to relate to the gut..
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

SeanYates wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:57 pm yes i have been taking for a while

No Diabetes but am after it for the possible benefits health and longevity.

From what i can see there doesn't seem to be too many bad side effects.
but the studies seem to focus on the older and diabetic population.

"Safety. Metformin has been used with an excellent safety record for over 60 years. Side effects are monitored closely within clinical trials, and the safety of metformin use in DPP/DPPOS was reported on in 2012, when over 18,000 patients-years of follow-up had accrued, and by which time ∼20% of the cohort was age 70 or older (mean age ∼64). There were no cases of lactic acidosis or significant hypoglycemia (Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, 2012). Mild anemia occurred in ∼12% of metformin-treated participants versus ∼8% in the placebo group (p = 0.04). Vitamin B12 deficiency occurred in ∼7% of metformin group versus 5% in placebo group after 13 years; risk of B12 deficiency increases with duration of use but was not greater in older compared with younger subjects in DPPOS (Lalau et al., 1990). Further, the risk of lactic acidosis appears to be related to renal function, not age per se, and is currently considered to be very low (Aroda et al., 2016)."
Can you please explain the pitch you gave to your doctor to be prescribed metformin? I have asked the doctor but no luck...

thanks
mfrittman

Post by mfrittman »

I am taking 5mg/week of rapamycin.  I have much more energy and sleep much better.  I have no negative side effects.  I have been on it for a week and just took my second 5mg dose.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I personally take 500 mgs twice per day of Metformin with no problems, although I did work up to this dose. I am taking it for Longevity purposes and I think since ive been on it I have lost some weight in doing so.
Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:20 am I personally take 500 mgs twice per day of Metformin with no problems, although I did work up to this dose. I am taking it for Longevity purposes and I think since ive been on it I have lost some weight in doing so.

It is not easy to find a GP in Australia to prescribe Metformin especially if all your glucose test are ok. Not too many GP’s will give consideration to any possible longevity benefits only.

JanCOhio

Post by JanCOhio »

mfrittman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm I am taking 5mg/week of rapamycin.  I have much more energy and sleep much better.  I have no negative side effects.  I have been on it for a week and just took my second 5mg dose.

So do you mean Sirolimus? Is is safe to take this?

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Newage wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:31 pm
drkris69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:20 am I personally take 500 mgs twice per day of Metformin with no problems, although I did work up to this dose. I am taking it for Longevity purposes and I think since ive been on it I have lost some weight in doing so.

It is not easy to find a GP in Australia to prescribe Metformin especially if all your glucose test are ok. Not too many GP’s will give consideration to any possible longevity benefits only.

Yes I feel for you guys down there, the laws there are really strict.

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

JanCOhio wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 am
mfrittman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm I am taking 5mg/week of rapamycin.  I have much more energy and sleep much better.  I have no negative side effects.  I have been on it for a week and just took my second 5mg dose.

So do you mean Sirolimus? Is is safe to take this?

I'd take the new rapalog the ABS is offering first. I haven't read enough about this myself to be comfortable taking it. But it is known to extend life - i just don't know the doses, what to watch for, potential side effects, etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic