NMNNMN - insomnia help

jocko6889

Re: NMN - insomnia help

Post by jocko6889 »

SunConure wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 am
jocko6889 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:54 am
SunConure wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 am
I took ambien (0.5-1 pill / night) for 3 weeks in May due to high stress from work.  It made my insomnia much worse on the days without the pill.  Horrible drug withdraw symptoms - complete loss of sleep for days.  Tried a natural sleep aid, and also sleep/get up at the same time everyday, now my sleep quality is better than ever.

What's the half-life of the LIPO NMN capsules?  Isn't NAD+ production in the body supposed to be in sync with Circadian Rhythms?  So you would expect lower NAD+ level at night.  If the capsule is 24 hours timed release, it might mess up your biological clock, no?

In regards to Ambien, I agree it's highly addictive after even 1 or 2 nights.  It's also rather dangerous as it suppresses breathing. Mixing with other drugs can be lethal.  

Regarding the new LIPO capsules, they are indeed time released over up to 24 hours.  It probably wouldn't bother most people but I'm a bit sensitive so that little extra at night keeps me up.  I like liposomal delivery, though because it's much more bioavailable so I like to use the Liposomal NMN Gel in the morning, which is not time released.

You are correct in that NAD+ production is in sync with your Circadian Rhythm, however this rhythm is different for everyone, making it difficult to know the optimal times to administer NMN.

Thanks for the detailed reply!  Didn't know Ambien can suppress breathing!  Maybe that's why I was getting headache?

Does timed release mean the number of molecules released into the blood stream per second is a constant within 24 hours, and only decline after 24 hours?

NMN LIPO Gel would probably work better for me than the capsules.  Approximately how long do you feel the effects after administration?

I'm planning to order some NMN supplements for friends that live in a country where ABS doesn't deliver to.  So I would have to ship to them after I get the NMN from ABS.  I wonder if the customs will refuse it due to it's a liquid.  I might have to buy the capsules version then.

Not sure if your headache could be caused by ambien to be honest.  I could feel the effects of taking ambien the next day when I work out.  I'm more out of breath than normal.

Yes, time release will release the NMN steadily throughout the day over up to 24 hours, then stop.  I can feel the effects of the Lipo Gel throughout the day but by nighttime it has worn off, so I can sleep.  The only exception would be if I take too much in the morning, it may linger and cause a problem with sleep.  

If you need any advice on shipping, either whether we ship to certain countries or whether a liquid can get past customs I would send an email to us at [email protected].  They will know the latest and can advise you.

SunConure

Post by SunConure »

jocko6889 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:22 pm
SunConure wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 am
jocko6889 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:54 am
In regards to Ambien, I agree it's highly addictive after even 1 or 2 nights.  It's also rather dangerous as it suppresses breathing. Mixing with other drugs can be lethal.  

Regarding the new LIPO capsules, they are indeed time released over up to 24 hours.  It probably wouldn't bother most people but I'm a bit sensitive so that little extra at night keeps me up.  I like liposomal delivery, though because it's much more bioavailable so I like to use the Liposomal NMN Gel in the morning, which is not time released.

You are correct in that NAD+ production is in sync with your Circadian Rhythm, however this rhythm is different for everyone, making it difficult to know the optimal times to administer NMN.

Thanks for the detailed reply!  Didn't know Ambien can suppress breathing!  Maybe that's why I was getting headache?

Does timed release mean the number of molecules released into the blood stream per second is a constant within 24 hours, and only decline after 24 hours?

NMN LIPO Gel would probably work better for me than the capsules.  Approximately how long do you feel the effects after administration?

I'm planning to order some NMN supplements for friends that live in a country where ABS doesn't deliver to.  So I would have to ship to them after I get the NMN from ABS.  I wonder if the customs will refuse it due to it's a liquid.  I might have to buy the capsules version then.

Not sure if your headache could be caused by ambien to be honest.  I could feel the effects of taking ambien the next day when I work out.  I'm more out of breath than normal.

Yes, time release will release the NMN steadily throughout the day over up to 24 hours, then stop.  I can feel the effects of the Lipo Gel throughout the day but by nighttime it has worn off, so I can sleep.  The only exception would be if I take too much in the morning, it may linger and cause a problem with sleep.  

If you need any advice on shipping, either whether we ship to certain countries or whether a liquid can get past customs I would send an email to us at [email protected].  They will know the latest and can advise you.

Perfect, thanks for the help!

mfreeland

Post by mfreeland »

I started taking the nmn supplement at the lowest dose early in the morning. I began having Significant sleep problems that persisted for a week after stopping the nmn supplement. I am a low weight female so that may be the reason for the insomnia. Unfortunately, I can’t take the supplement for that reason. 
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

mfreeland wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:09 pm I started taking the nmn supplement at the lowest dose early in the morning. I began having Significant sleep problems that persisted for a week after stopping the nmn supplement. I am a low weight female so that may be the reason for the insomnia. Unfortunately, I can’t take the supplement for that reason. 

Sorry to hear that.  Which NMN supplement were you taking and at what dose?

Claxton

Post by Claxton »

Nmn and insomnia
I had insomnia for a few days, after taking nmn in the morning.
It seems to take some hours to work.
I started taking nmn at bedtime, now I sleep fine.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

Claxton wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 pm Nmn and insomnia
I had insomnia for a few days, after taking nmn in the morning.
It seems to take some hours to work.
I started taking nmn at bedtime, now I sleep fine.

That's a little counter-intuitive but whatever works.  NMN will generally reset the circadian rhythm, which is why taking it in the morning is generally better.

derrickvance88

Post by derrickvance88 »

jocko6889 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:11 pm Personally, I don't think lack of sleep in relation to NAD+ boosters is addressed enough.  Perhaps only a small percentage of people on NAD+ boosters have an issue.  There's just not enough data to know for sure. 

In my case, lack of sleep directly coincides with my taking too much NMN.  I have to back off, reset, and start again.  That's the only way.  Otherwise, I get into a situation where I'm losing sleep here and there for weeks, causing a big deficit to build up, with corresponding loss of energy and cognition.  Not good.  Best to monitor my dose and my sleep each day and make adjustments accordingly before it becomes an issue. 

Dealing with this problem has produced at least some desirable changes.  I am now a stickler for going to bed and waking up at the same time every day.  I'm also very attuned to the quality of my sleep.  I also have come to understand that getting enough sleep is as or more important than any supplement I can possibly take.  In fact, if you were to regard sleep as a supplement it would be by far the most important one.   I also don't believe in taking anything strong to help with sleep, such as ambien.  I think these things are a crutch and can become a bad habit.  Figure out how to make the changes necessary to get a full night's sleep naturally.

So my advice to anyone taking NAD+ boosters would be that they're great but only in conjunction with a good night's sleep.  If you're on a fairly low dose of NMN (as I am) and still have sleep issues, it means your body is probably already making decent amounts of NAD+ on it's own - something many people starting out on NMN don't think to consider.  Making enough NAD+ on your own is actually a good thing.  Don't rock the boat by insisting your body take even more NAD+ just because you're stuck on the idea that you're a certain age, so therefore you must need to supplement X amount.  Let your body be the ultimate judge and pay attention to what it's telling you.

Hi Jocko,

I really wanted to reach out to you because your situation sounds exactly like mine. So I created an account just so I could do so. I’ve been having this problem after taking 1,000 milligrams of NMN where I can’t sleep longer than 5 hours. I’ll just wake up and feel wide awake. It’s weird because sometimes I feel ok on just the 5 hours. Like the NMN is tricking me into thinking I don’t need as much sleep. But I don’t feel completely ok. I still seem a bit off all day but it’s masked by the NMN energy boost. I’m also only 33. Do you think I’m overdoing it? How old were you when you started taking it? I’m wondering if I should just cut it out entirely. Without good sleep what’s the point of living longer. 

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

derrickvance88 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:47 am I really wanted to reach out to you because your situation sounds exactly like mine. So I created an account just so I could do so. I’ve been having this problem after taking 1,000 milligrams of NMN where I can’t sleep longer than 5 hours. I’ll just wake up and feel wide awake. It’s weird because sometimes I feel ok on just the 5 hours. Like the NMN is tricking me into thinking I don’t need as much sleep. But I don’t feel completely ok. I still seem a bit off all day but it’s masked by the NMN energy boost. I’m also only 33. Do you think I’m overdoing it? How old were you when you started taking it? I’m wondering if I should just cut it out entirely. Without good sleep what’s the point of living longer. 

In my opinion, especially for your age you're probably overdoing it.  1 gram of NMN per day is a dose more for someone over 50 or 60 years old, but of course so much of this is variable depending on your true bioage.  Here's the test.  Stop taking NMN for a few days and see if you start sleeping soundly again.  Then you'll know.  I have a hunch you will.  If so, you can eventually start by experimenting with 250mg per day and see how you do.  Work your way up until you have a little trouble sleeping and you'll discover the maximum dosage to get your NAD+ levels at optimal levels for you.

NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Insomnia is tricky, and only those who have that kind of brain that won't let them relax at night will get it. I relate some forms of it to depression and anxiety. It's one of those situations where you try not to think about annoying things, and that makes you thinks about them all the more.

I was in my 20s when it started to hit hard. At first it was a benefit because I was teaching myself programming and it was the late 90s and i simply stayed up late every night learning and creating web programs. I ended up making a fair bit of money.

But once my work like needed to be more 9-5 i had to deal with it. I finally agreed to take a low dose Ativan (Lorazapam) which was arguably the best benzo because it largely leaves the body within 12-18 hours and thus one can use the same dose for a long time.

This worked for 15 years. I did try occasionally to go without and it wasn't until i tried a new class of antidepressants that i no longer needed it to sleep. Some people have trauma in their early lives, or just have a brain that gives them issues. I am happy that the only actual medicine i take is my antidepressant. Unless I could afford psychotherapy 3 times a week, then a year tour around the world, followed by 6 months in the Caribbean, I think i will be taking this little pill for life, and I am ok with it.

I agree with the sentiments posted here.. you need your sleep. And as a matter of fact, I can say that since I started sleeping properly, I have had 7.5 hours of sleep every night for 30 years, and it shows. I haven't aged as much as other people - because i get my sleep.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I agree sleep is so important. Our bodies repair and reset when we sleep. I take Magnesium Threonate, Apiginin, L-theronine for sleep every night and it works great. I watched a Andrew Huberman podcast and he talked about how Melatonin really wasnt the best thing to use for sleep if you were a male. Melatonin shrinks the gonads so.....no more of that please!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic