NMNTMG & cholesterol

somebodynew

TMG & cholesterol

Post by somebodynew »

I recently (3 weeks ago) started on NMN (500mg/day). That happened to  coincide with a blood test, where my triglycerides came back high, but I forgot to fast so I scheduled another, which I just took.

Shortly after that test I started on TMG.

A few days ago I took my retest. Triglycerides level was still high (but not as high, at 227 now), but my LDL actually went UP (from 155 to 171), and my HDL went down (from 44 to 39).

I understand that TMG can negatively affect LDL numbers, and I'm wondering if that contributed.

So, a couple of questions if anyone has an opinion:

1. I'd like to stop taking TMG based on this, but how much should I be worried about methyl depletion with NMN if I do this? Should I just cut back significantly on the TMG?
2. I've seen a thread on this forum that indicates that liposomal NMN won't affect methyl levels as much as regular NMN, but I don't understand why, can anyone describe why that might be the case?

I'd hate to stop taking NMN as I've noticed great benefits to my energy levels, workouts, and more. I'm hoping someone can help with some ideas that might help the situation.

Thanks in advance!

jocko6889

Re: TMG & cholesterol

Post by jocko6889 »

somebodynew wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:49 pm So, a couple of questions if anyone has an opinion:

1. I'd like to stop taking TMG based on this, but how much should I be worried about methyl depletion with NMN if I do this? Should I just cut back significantly on the TMG?
2. I've seen a thread on this forum that indicates that liposomal NMN won't affect methyl levels as much as regular NMN, but I don't understand why, can anyone describe why that might be the case?

TMG is cheap insurance in the event your methyl groups run too low taking NMN, but in most people this will not be the case.  This is why TMG is referred to as insurance.  

You are probably safe not taking TMG if you have issues with LDL cholesterol.  Methyl groups are important for synthesizing dopamine for the brain and creatine for the muscles.  If you start feeling tired or depressed taking NMN, then it could be because your methyl groups are being depleted and in that case you should think about taking TMG or lowering your dose of NMN.

The liposomal NMN is much more efficient and bioavailable than regular NMN, so less NMN is converted to NAM (nicotinamide) as a byproduct of NMN being used by the cell.  Excess NAM is attached to a methyl group before being excreted in the urine, which is why methyl groups can run low.

jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

I was surprised about 5 years ago when i was first told that i had higher than average cholesterol and triglycerides. My doctor told me it was likely hereditary but that i had to change my diet. I made some progress but was ultimately put on Lipitor.

I know that statins have been shown to add longevity but eventually when i started to fast regularly and take NMN, my cholesterol and triglycerides plummeted back to normal. My doctor says my metabolism has obviously  improved. But at the time I hadn't started exercising again at that point, so it had to be a combo of NMN and fasting.

Now that i am using the elliptical and doing workouts - i don't even get anything checked. i know i have no issues anymore. 

I take TMG between 2 and 3 times per week.. i wasn't aware it could affect cholesterol, but with the current lifestyle i don't worry about it. However, after reading your post, i will look into it.

somebodynew

Post by somebodynew »

That’s super interesting. Mind if I ask if you stayed on Lipitor?
somebodynew

Post by somebodynew »

TMG is cheap insurance in the event your methyl groups run too low taking NMN, but in most people this will not be the case.  This is why TMG is referred to as insurance.  

You are probably safe not taking TMG if you have issues with LDL cholesterol.  Methyl groups are important for synthesizing dopamine for the brain and creatine for the muscles.  If you start feeling tired or depressed taking NMN, then it could be because your methyl groups are being depleted and in that case you should think about taking TMG or lowering your dose of NMN.

The liposomal NMN is much more efficient and bioavailable than regular NMN, so less NMN is converted to NAM (nicotinamide) as a byproduct of NMN being used by the cell.  Excess NAM is attached to a methyl group before being excreted in the urine, which is why methyl groups can run low.
Thank you very much for the detailed response, very helpful. That makes sense related to the conversion of NMN to NAM.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic