Miscellaneous TopicsApple Watch or Whoop

MJClark

Apple Watch or Whoop

Post by MJClark »

As with anything science and longevity related, proper data can be very valuable. With that being said, our fitness also has a profound impact on our overall health and longevity. But how do you track it and what data to you use. 

For several years I have been using an Apple Watch (Series 4). It has done well and there have been a few updates, but the tech is still behind the times. I am considering getting a new Apple Watch 8 this fall, but it is dependent on what metrics it will track.

There was some speculation that it would include a non-invasive glucose tracker, but many sources are saying that it will still be a few years before that is available. 

As an alternative, I am considering a subscription to Whoop which includes a Whoop 4.0 fitness tracker. It tracks the following:
  • Skin Temp
  • Heart Rate (Pulse, variability, and resting)
  • Blood O2 
From this it uses an algorithm to determine body stress, recovery needs, sleep, training intensity, and general health conditions. 

The current Apple Watch 7 does some of the same general tests, but does not include skin temp. 

Whoop has several subscription duration options that would range from $30 per month (Month to Month) to as low as $20 per month for two years (Paid all up front). Apple Watch starts at $399 for the series 7. 

I was wondering if anyone has used Whoop or Apple Watch and what is your thoughts and opinions on the two? 

*All prices listed are in US Dollars. 

If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
jocko6889

Re: Apple Watch or Whoop

Post by jocko6889 »

I'm a Samsung guy myself and have the Galaxy Watch 3.  The Watch 4 came out recently and has better sleep cycle detection.  Mine has blood O2 monitoring, heart rate, EKG heart monitor, step and distance program, and syncs with health apps on your phone for detailed reports.  They are supposed to add the ability to use my Watch 3 with my Nordic Track treadmill for heart rate monitoring.  I have the 2022 model 2450 treadmill using iFit, which I highly recommend.  
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic