NAD+Anyone looked into the role of L-glutamine regarding NAD+ production and potentiation?

megalo99

Anyone looked into the role of L-glutamine regarding NAD+ production and potentiation?

Post by megalo99 »

First post.  Happy to have found this place.  You guys are my kinda people.  I try to discuss this with my friends and family and get the fluoride stare.  :D

I've been listening to a PhD named Dimitry Katz who has been studying nicotinic acid and NAD+ production and potentiation for a few years now.  He's a strange dude, but he's also quite brilliant.  He is using nicotinic acid and L-glutamine in a ratio of 1:1.2 respectively to treat any/all forms of mitochondrial dysfunction and dysglycemia. One of the main reasons it works is because of NAD+.

Going to see if I can explain it in a way that makes sense.  If I make a mistake or have something wrong, by all means please chime in.  I just want to learn and no ego involved.

"Glutamine is required for the conversion of nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide to NAD+ catalyzed by NAD+ synthetase (Figure 2). Thus, inherited glutamine synthetase deficiency specifically affects the synthesis of NAD+ from the NAD+ precursors, tryptophan and nicotinic acid."
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamin ... eference78

Now to get a little more specific, there are 3 main pathways for the synthesis of NAD+ in mammalian cells are the Preiss-Handler pathway, de novo biosynthesis pathway, and NAD+ salvage pathway.  The salvage pathway is the main source of NAD+ generated in mammalian cells due to its high production efficiency, and less than 1% NAD+ is lost daily due to efficient recycling. This might explain why cells are
completely dependent on this pathway.
https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4409/11/17/2627

OK, so we use the salvage pathway the most.  The first step is the rate-limiting reaction of the pathway catalysed by NAMPT, transforming
NAM to nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) in the presence of magnesium (Mg2+) and phosphoribosyl pyrophosphate (PRPP).  In other words, NAMPT limits the amount of NAD+ that's produced this way.

This is where glutamine comes into play.  It potentiates NAMPT, which we just read is a limiting part in the most used/efficient way we create NAD+.

"Glutamine appears to be crucial to the effectiveness of NAMPT activity in regulating the TCA cycle as glutamine can compensate for a reduced carbon flow from glycolysis to the TCA cycle resulting from NAMPT inhibition."
Pharmacological Inhibition of Nicotinamide Phosphoribosyltransferase (NAMPT), an Enzyme Essential for NAD+ Biosynthesis, in Human Cancer Cells

And in this paper, they demonstrated that glutamine increased the effectiveness of NAD and NADH, making them more effective in creating ATP.

"Our data show that oral L-glutamine can significantly increase the NAD redox potential and NADH level in sickle RBC. These changes may decrease oxidative susceptibility of sickle RBC and result in clinical benefit."
Oral L-glutamine therapy for sickle cell anemia: I. Subjective clinical improvement and favorable change in red cell NAD redox potential

So far I've worked my way up to 5g nicotinic acid (work up slowly...the flush isn't super fun when you first start) and 6g glutamine, following his 1:1.2 ratio.  It's in that ratio because of the difference in molecular weight between the two.  I put it in cold water (warm water will denature glutamine) - the nicotinic acid dissolves quickly, the glutamine does not.

Have incredible energy, do not get sore after workouts, dopamine levels have increased (not bored like usual), and sleep has gotten a lot better.  Wife is experiencing the same with the added benefits of it stopping her menopausal hot flashes.  Seems this stabilizes mast cells, too. 

Hopefully this info helps!

jocko6889

Re: Anyone looked into the role of L-glutamine regarding NAD+ production and potentiation?

Post by jocko6889 »

megalo99 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:55 pm First post.  Happy to have found this place.  You guys are my kinda people.  I try to discuss this with my friends and family and get the fluoride stare.  :D

I've been listening to a PhD named Dimitry Katz who has been studying nicotinic acid and NAD+ production and potentiation for a few years now.  He's a strange dude, but he's also quite brilliant.  He is using nicotinic acid and L-glutamine in a ratio of 1:1.2 respectively to treat any/all forms of mitochondrial dysfunction and dysglycemia. One of the main reasons it works is because of NAD+.

Going to see if I can explain it in a way that makes sense.  If I make a mistake or have something wrong, by all means please chime in.  I just want to learn and no ego involved.

"Glutamine is required for the conversion of nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide to NAD+ catalyzed by NAD+ synthetase (Figure 2). Thus, inherited glutamine synthetase deficiency specifically affects the synthesis of NAD+ from the NAD+ precursors, tryptophan and nicotinic acid."
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamin ... eference78

Now to get a little more specific, there are 3 main pathways for the synthesis of NAD+ in mammalian cells are the Preiss-Handler pathway, de novo biosynthesis pathway, and NAD+ salvage pathway.  The salvage pathway is the main source of NAD+ generated in mammalian cells due to its high production efficiency, and less than 1% NAD+ is lost daily due to efficient recycling. This might explain why cells are
completely dependent on this pathway.
https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4409/11/17/2627

OK, so we use the salvage pathway the most.  The first step is the rate-limiting reaction of the pathway catalysed by NAMPT, transforming
NAM to nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) in the presence of magnesium (Mg2+) and phosphoribosyl pyrophosphate (PRPP).  In other words, NAMPT limits the amount of NAD+ that's produced this way.

This is where glutamine comes into play.  It potentiates NAMPT, which we just read is a limiting part in the most used/efficient way we create NAD+.

"Glutamine appears to be crucial to the effectiveness of NAMPT activity in regulating the TCA cycle as glutamine can compensate for a reduced carbon flow from glycolysis to the TCA cycle resulting from NAMPT inhibition."
Pharmacological Inhibition of Nicotinamide Phosphoribosyltransferase (NAMPT), an Enzyme Essential for NAD+ Biosynthesis, in Human Cancer Cells

And in this paper, they demonstrated that glutamine increased the effectiveness of NAD and NADH, making them more effective in creating ATP.

"Our data show that oral L-glutamine can significantly increase the NAD redox potential and NADH level in sickle RBC. These changes may decrease oxidative susceptibility of sickle RBC and result in clinical benefit."
Oral L-glutamine therapy for sickle cell anemia: I. Subjective clinical improvement and favorable change in red cell NAD redox potential

So far I've worked my way up to 5g nicotinic acid (work up slowly...the flush isn't super fun when you first start) and 6g glutamine, following his 1:1.2 ratio.  It's in that ratio because of the difference in molecular weight between the two.  I put it in cold water (warm water will denature glutamine) - the nicotinic acid dissolves quickly, the glutamine does not.

Have incredible energy, do not get sore after workouts, dopamine levels have increased (not bored like usual), and sleep has gotten a lot better.  Wife is experiencing the same with the added benefits of it stopping her menopausal hot flashes.  Seems this stabilizes mast cells, too. 

Hopefully this info helps!

So by taking an NAD+ booster like NMN, you are effectively bypassing the need to go through the salvage pathway or using up low stores of NAMPT for conversion of nicotinamide to NMN.

drkris69

Re: Anyone looked into the role of L-glutamine regarding NAD+ production and potentiation?

Post by drkris69 »

So I believe taking NMN is in the same family of Niacin and uses the same pathways just without the flush effect with Niacin. I wonder if I am correct in saying this. Yes?
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

drkris69 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:04 am So I believe taking NMN is in the same family of Niacin and uses the same pathways just without the flush effect with Niacin. I wonder if I am correct in saying this. Yes?

I have had a friend that broke out with the flush effect on NMN, so it can happen! - then again she said if anyone was going to get a reaction it would be her - all good now, was over in a few days and she is loving the effects of NMN with no relapse.

michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

I think that the Lipo NMN or better, the Lipo NAD+ complete is a far easier way to get the NAD+ going. I have been taking NMN since before Sublingual was available and the Lipo version is so obviously making the difference I will never so back.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

All though Niacin is better for lowering cholesterol and ridding the arteries and the Liver of inflammation. Me personally, I dont like the flush too much. :oops:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic