Bioage TestingContinuous Blood Glucose Monitors

MJClark

Continuous Blood Glucose Monitors

Post by MJClark »

There have been several researchers, including David Sinclair, who have mentioned continuous blood glucose monitors or CGM's as tool to track how our body processes sugar in real time. Additionally, there appears to be a correlation between metabolic health and longevity, especially in how we are able to handle glucose. 

I was wondering if anyone uses or has used a CGM, which brand did you use, and was it accurate? I was also curious if there were any surprises. For example, while using a CGM, Dr. Sinclair discovered that grapes and white rise spike his levels, so now he is more cautious before eating them. 

I am considering adding this to the other things I do as I am a very data driven person, and while I am doing all these other things, I really don't know for sure if I have been wasting my time and money, or if any of this is actually working. 

If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
Boxcost

Re: Continuous Blood Glucose Monitors

Post by Boxcost »

I have used periodically the Abbott FreeStyle Libre See: https://www.freestylelibre.com.au/products.html

I have only done it twice (the sensor lasts 10days to 14 days). The last time I used it the reading where a lot higher than expected, so I purchased a cheap (Sinocare) blood glucose monitor to double check and determined it (Abbott) to be out by a couple of points. In chatting to a type 1 diabetic friend who uses the same sensor she said this can happen the sensor gets into the wrong spot or too much muscle.

My diet is pretty solid, so did not have anything too exciting to report, also its pretty predictable when i.e. when I ate chocolate and ice cream I got a glucose spike! The thing I learned was to have some fiber in the mix so if I am having desert at home I mix up some nuts and oats to slow it down a little as it passes through my digestive system.

I did also notice that taking Broccoli sprout powder (for sulforphane) after a big meal lowered my levels vs not taking the powder.

I will do it again with some more experimentation. The main issue I have with the Abbott is not being able to extract the data out to say consolidate into a spreadsheet.

jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

I use Berberine for the same reason. I personally think that anyone needs to be aware that when they eat/drink a sugary substance or eat simple carbs that they are giving their body a hit. I just can't eat sweets the way i did before I became aware of sugar issues, which was actually in my teens. I had a few bouts of hypoglycemia and i figured that meant no more sugary drinks and easy on desserts.

Once you stop, it really is a shock to the system to eat something like chocolate cake with icing.

The only other issue was drinking and eventually I couldn't deal with the sugar there either.
MJClark

Post by MJClark »

Boxcost wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:21 am I have used periodically the Abbott FreeStyle Libre See: https://www.freestylelibre.com.au/products.html

I have only done it twice (the sensor lasts 10days to 14 days). The last time I used it the reading where a lot higher than expected, so I purchased a cheap (Sinocare) blood glucose monitor to double check and determined it (Abbott) to be out by a couple of points. In chatting to a type 1 diabetic friend who uses the same sensor she said this can happen the sensor gets into the wrong spot or too much muscle.

My diet is pretty solid, so did not have anything too exciting to report, also its pretty predictable when i.e. when I ate chocolate and ice cream I got a glucose spike! The thing I learned was to have some fiber in the mix so if I am having desert at home I mix up some nuts and oats to slow it down a little as it passes through my digestive system.

I did also notice that taking Broccoli sprout powder (for sulforphane) after a big meal lowered my levels vs not taking the powder.

I will do it again with some more experimentation. The main issue I have with the Abbott is not being able to extract the data out to say consolidate into a spreadsheet.

Thank you for the feedback. I might order a couple of these to do a test to see what foods cause issues and which foods are safe, then wait a few months and do it again to see if there was a change. 

Does anyone else have any experiences with any others? 
If you haven't tested, how do you know you are getting the results that you wanted?
winner2023

Post by winner2023 »

I don't think the continuos blood glucose monitor is good as their price is much higher.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

I guess you are talking about the thing that sticks in your skin, usually at the shoulder and connects to your phone?

I don't think I would go that far unless i felt like my blood sugar is an issue, or have diabetes. In Canada, these devices are subsidized for diabetics.

I actually do my best to avoid sugars altogether. I make it special occasions, not the norm.
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

CeeJayBee wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:24 pm I guess you are talking about the thing that sticks in your skin, usually at the shoulder and connects to your phone?

I don't think I would go that far unless i felt like my blood sugar is an issue, or have diabetes. In Canada, these devices are subsidized for diabetics.

I actually do my best to avoid sugars altogether. I make it special occasions, not the norm.

I'd be willing to pay up to $100 to see how my blood glucose acts with my diet, supplimetation and activity. it may just help me stop doing harmful things.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic