Healthy Aging News and ResearchNew Harvard-led study says good sleep hygiene can add years to your life

RenueSupport

New Harvard-led study says good sleep hygiene can add years to your life

Post by RenueSupport »

New research shows that “young people who have more beneficial sleep habits are incrementally less likely to die early.” And the Harvard-led research said about 1 in 12 deaths — regardless of the cause — are possibly linked to poor sleep.

The research included data from 172,321 people — their average age was 50 — who were part of the National Health Interview Survey between 2013 and 2019. It showed that five good sleep habits add close to 5 years to a man’s life expectancy and 2.5 years to a woman’s.The five factors are:
  • Sleeping seven to eight hours a night.
  • Trouble falling asleep two times a week or less.
  • Trouble staying asleep no more than twice a week.
  • Not using sleep medication.
  • Feeling well-rested upon awakening at least five days a week.
Full Article: https://www.deseret.com/2023/3/2/236219 ... -longevity

jessicaP

Re: New Harvard-led study says good sleep hygiene can add years to your life

Post by jessicaP »

I grew up in a family dynamic where my parents insisted we only need 6 hours of sleep per night.

I finally have settled on 7.5 hours per night. I will even take an aid if needed. And I feel great.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

I agree.

I have long taken a mild benzodiazepene for sleep. I don't like taking drugs, but i dislike bad sleep far more.

I also have had 7-8 quality sleep for decades.

this week i will try to take gradually less of the benzo and try the Restore SL Lipo Gel.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

i think proper sleep in the anti-inflammatory of the brain. not just unconsciousness, but all the right stages.
OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

I have had trouble with my mother waking up at night with Sundown Syndrom.  It got to the point where it was every night from 3 am to 6 am.  Needless to say, I haven't been getting good sleep.  A friend suggest CBD gummies.  I tried everythingn else, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Gave her half of one and I took the other half on Friday.  We both slept from 10 pm to 6 am.  Saturday tried the same.  10 pm to 5:30 am.  Tonight, Sunday, trying a little more.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  It felt like a really deep sleep.  Very restfull.  I don't know anything about CBD other than some brief web searches on its safety.  I just decided to try it.  It seems to work.  I'll know for sure in a week or so.

Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

OMillsPA wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:40 pm I have had trouble with my mother waking up at night with Sundown Syndrom.  It got to the point where it was every night from 3 am to 6 am.  Needless to say, I haven't been getting good sleep.  A friend suggest CBD gummies.  I tried everythingn else, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Gave her half of one and I took the other half on Friday.  We both slept from 10 pm to 6 am.  Saturday tried the same.  10 pm to 5:30 am.  Tonight, Sunday, trying a little more.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  It felt like a really deep sleep.  Very restfull.  I don't know anything about CBD other than some brief web searches on its safety.  I just decided to try it.  It seems to work.  I'll know for sure in a week or so.

Hi OMillsPA, CBD is generally very safe, consumed by humans for thousands of years. Important to note there are a few types of "CBD". In my exploration of supplement offerings there are 2 main types being sold. This includes:
1. CBD "Isolate"
This is just CBD, all other cannabinoids have been stripped out

2. CBD "Full Spectrum", this is majority CBD but also has trace elements of other cannabinoids including THC, normally at very low "trace" level. Importantly can still turn up a positive "THC" in a drug test, not good if this was a workplace or driving related test depending on what part of the world you are in.

The cannabis plant produces between 80 and 100 cannabinoids, "full spectrum" can though be considered to provide a stronger more robust effect.

THC can disrupt either deep or REM sleep, Dr Matthew Walker is anti THC (who I respect as an authority on sleep), he did say said though out of all the options CBD showed the most promise for improving sleep and I personally agree :)

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

OMillsPA wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:40 pm I have had trouble with my mother waking up at night with Sundown Syndrom.  It got to the point where it was every night from 3 am to 6 am.  Needless to say, I haven't been getting good sleep.  A friend suggest CBD gummies.  I tried everythingn else, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Gave her half of one and I took the other half on Friday.  We both slept from 10 pm to 6 am.  Saturday tried the same.  10 pm to 5:30 am.  Tonight, Sunday, trying a little more.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  It felt like a really deep sleep.  Very restfull.  I don't know anything about CBD other than some brief web searches on its safety.  I just decided to try it.  It seems to work.  I'll know for sure in a week or so.

What is the amount of CBD in each gummy?

OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

50 mg per gummy.  The package says take 4 gummies which would be 200 mgs. We have been doing 1 gummy or 50 mgs with mixed results.  For my mother: 7 out of first 10 days were fairly good.  8 hours of sleep for 7 days. 2 nights it didn't work at all.  1 night was so, so.  I'm going to try 50 mg when she goes to bed at 10 pm.  Give her another full 50 mg when she wakes up in the middle of the night, usually around 3 am.  For me: 25 mg works fine.  Bottom line - I think this will work for her night terror and sun down syndrom.  I just need to experiment with the dosage more.  I don't think I have given her enough yet.  I'm going slow since this is new.  Also, my research says: 1. Buy American made  2. Third party tested  3. No THC.  (The one I buy locally says Lab Tested, but the test is outdated when I reviewed it on-line.  Hear say at the store, people seem to be happy with it.)  The high quality stuff I reviewed on-line was pretty expensive.  My mother is doing pretty well otherwise during the day with the help of the RBS products we take.  Every month has been getting a little better during the day.  I just need to figure this sleep thing out.

canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Among the many things I do with my now 88 year old mother, is helping her get at least 7 hours of sleep most nights. This has done wonders, especially for her mind, and she has much less chronic pain.
OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

I ordered the LIPO Restore PM product that was on-sale this weekend.  I believe all the ingredient are good for sleep.  I'm hoping that it will work longer than the CBD gummies.  Hopefully 7 -9 hours a night with the deep sleep advertised.  Wth the discount, it is actually cheaper than the CBD and meletonin I have been using, so that is good.  I'll let you know how it goes in a week or so.  

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic