ExerciseIs walking any good for burning fat?

Weserew

Re: Is walking any good for burning fat?

Post by Weserew »

Sure, but you have to walk very fast and very long.

ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON »

Here is how i see it. When we start exercising, weights, running, walking, we first need to burn off the nitrogen that is fueling our efforts. It is not until that happens before we start burning fat.

When running, it usually takes 12-15 minutes of warm up walking, fast walking and running to get to the fat burning phase. TO me that means a LOT of walking has to happen before you get to the fat zone. Worse, if you take a long break or have a meal, you replenish your nitrogen stores.

So, in my opinion, I would not look at walking as a reliable method for burning much fat.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I would say for days where you are fasting, it would be a very good way to burn fat. I agree with others that it wouldn't do much on regular days.
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

smokinjoe wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:08 am I would say for days where you are fasting, it would be a very good way to burn fat. I agree with others that it wouldn't do much on regular days.

That is a good point. I could go for nice long walks when i am fasting, as i do with dinner twice a week.
TedB

Post by TedB »

This is a really good idea, walking while fasting.

I have done it as recently as today.  I had fasted from 6pm yesterday until 5 pm today and walked about a mile after shovelling my driveway. A great feeling.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

ChrisBON wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm Here is how i see it. When we start exercising, weights, running, walking, we first need to burn off the nitrogen that is fueling our efforts. It is not until that happens before we start burning fat.

When running, it usually takes 12-15 minutes of warm up walking, fast walking and running to get to the fat burning phase. TO me that means a LOT of walking has to happen before you get to the fat zone. Worse, if you take a long break or have a meal, you replenish your nitrogen stores.

So, in my opinion, I would not look at walking as a reliable method for burning much fat.

Well an hour walk would be perfect and has been shown to be good for our mental health. So i think it can burn fat and benefit us in other ways, just not like aerobic exercise.
jessicaP

Post by jessicaP »

if you can walk so that you are sweating in 15 minutes, than I would say yes.
OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

This is one of the better talks on the benefits of walking.  There is more benefits to it than just burning calories. 

How Many STEPS Should You Walk To Stay HEALTHY? (rumble.com)

TedB

Post by TedB »

I am walking around 3k 5 days her week. I am definitely losing fat. I take 2 NAD+ Complete an hour before.

I rarely listen to music while in the house or working, but walking with tunes laying in my earbuds is amazing, especially as spring is beginning.
michaeljkelly

Post by michaeljkelly »

I think the benefits to your brain and sense of well being alone are good reasons to walk. Especially if you have to be indoors with the windows closed all winter. I find walking/being outside for at least an hour a day has kept me in good shape.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic