NMNNMN: Curious case of self resolving Lumbar injury

Drdavid

Re: NMN: Curious case of self resolving Lumbar injury

Post by Drdavid »

Here is a great article about lumbar disc injury:

Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences
Professional Medical Publications
Spontaneous regression of extruded lumbar disc herniation: Correlation with clinical outcome
Bilge Kesikburun, Emel Eksioglu, [...], and Aytul Cakci

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6659070/

Resolution rate with just conservative care

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Great article DrDavid, out of the 40 patients with disk injuries, 30 of them had complete resolution with conservative treatments. I find in my line of work that if you give the patient the right supplements and proper nutrition along with the conservative care they tend to do very well and have great outcomes.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Here is an article on outcomes of lumbar surgery

Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1999 Nov 15;24(22):2313-7.
Seven- to 20-year outcome of lumbar discectomy.
Loupasis GA1, Stamos K, Katonis PG, Sapkas G, Korres DS, Hartofilakidis G.
Author information
Abstract
STUDY DESIGN:
A retrospective, follow-up study.

OBJECTIVES:
To assess the effects of conventional surgery for lumbar disc herniation over an extended period of time and to examine factors that might correlate with unsatisfactory results.

SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA:
Although the short-term results of lumbar discectomy are excellent when there is a proper patient selection, the reported success rates in the long-term follow-up studies vary, and few factors have been implicated for an unsatisfactory outcome.

METHODS:
One hundred-nine patients with surgically documented herniated lumbar disc were analyzed, retrospectively, by an independent observer. Long-term follow-up (mean 12.2 years) was done by a mailed, self-report questionnaire that included items about pain relief in the back and leg, satisfaction with the results, need for analgesics, level of activity, working capacity, and reoperations. Subjective disability was measured by the Oswestry questionnaire. Radiographic review was carried out in 66% of patients. End results were assessed using the modified Stauffer-Coventry's evaluating criteria. Several variables were examined to assess their influence to the outcome.

RESULTS:
The late results were satisfactory in 64% of patients. The mean Oswestry disability score was 18.9. Of the 101 patients who had primary procedures, 28% still complained of significant back or leg pain. Sixty-five percent of patients were very satisfied with their results, 29% satisfied, and 6% dissatisfied. The reoperation rate was 7.3% (8 patients), about one-third of which was due to recurrent disc herniation. Sociodemographic factors predisposing to unsatisfactory outcome, including female gender, low vocational education, and jobs requiring significant physical strenuousness. Disc space narrowing was common at the level of discectomy, but was without prognostic significance.

CONCLUSIONS:
The long-term results of standard lumbar discectomy are not very satisfying. More than one-third of the patients had unsatisfactory results and more than one quarter complained of significant residual pain. Heavy manual work, particularly agricultural work, and low educational level were negative predictors of a good outcome. These indicators should be used preoperatively to identify patients who are at high risk for an unfavorable long-term result.
Harriet130

Post by Harriet130 »

I have osteoarthritis in lower back. It gets especially terrible if I did too much walking - which is actually just normal moving about. It's often so bad, I have to resort to a narcotic. I've had this awful pain for years. I just started taking NMN about 2 weeks ago and my pain is gone?! I can't think of what else I can attribute it too, but I'm quite happy.

I also am suffering from knee pain (also from osteoarthritis), terrible pain which just starting acting up very recently is also gone.

Very interesting to say the least, especially since I haven' read anything that indicates that NMN can help with such maladies.
Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

Harriet130 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:15 pm I have osteoarthritis in lower back. It gets especially terrible if I did too much walking - which is actually just normal moving about. It's often so bad, I have to resort to a narcotic. I've had this awful pain for years. I just started taking NMN about 2 weeks ago and my pain is gone?! I can't think of what else I can attribute it too, but I'm quite happy.

I also am suffering from knee pain (also from osteoarthritis), terrible pain which just starting acting up very recently is also gone.

Very interesting to say the least, especially since I haven' read anything that indicates that NMN can help with such maladies.

NMN puts more "fuel in the tank" for your body to do what it needs to do. In my view we all have a back log of repair tasks like when we were younger cause as we age and have reducing NAD+ levels our bodies prioratise valuable NAD+ for CRITICAL functions only! So put more fuel in and our body now has the goods to do the repair work.  

Our bodies repair themselves during deep and rem sleep. All sorts of niggling issues went away for me (and stayed away) when I got onto NMN from RBS back in 2019, in the first few weeks the best sleep I could remember, as I was knocked out to allow for repair functions to kick in like never before. :D

drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Well said Boxcost.. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic