FastingWhat is a Fasting Mimicking Diet and How to Do It

jocko6889

What is a Fasting Mimicking Diet and How to Do It

Post by jocko6889 »

Fast mimicking is a type of modified fasting. Instead of abstaining from food completely like a traditional fast, you still consume small amounts of food in a way that produces the therapeutic benefits of fasting.

A fast mimicking diet typically lasts about five days and follows a healthy protocol low in carbs, protein, and calories and high in fat. Calories are kept at around 40% of normal intake. This allows the body to stay nourished with nutrients and electrolytes will less stress than normal fasting—but still receiving the same benefits.

Long-term calorie restriction and long-term fasting can harmful, but fast mimicking is safer and more effective.

https://perfectketo.com/fasting-mimicki ... -to-do-it/

toriamac

Re: What is a Fasting Mimicking Diet and How to Do It

Post by toriamac »

Some people have success with a 5/2 diet.
They eat their normal diet 5 days a week and fast 2 non-consecutive days a week.
This disrupts the body from getting in the habit of packing on excess calories.

Others do something similar in which they allow themselves to consume carbs 4-5 days per week and avoid carbs 2-3 days per week.

Another option is making sure you only consume calories during 8 consecutive hours per day.
This is effectively fasting for 16 hours per day.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

toriamac wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:57 am Some people have success with a 5/2 diet.
They eat their normal diet 5 days a week and fast 2 non-consecutive days a week.
This disrupts the body from getting in the habit of packing on excess calories.

Others do something similar in which they allow themselves to consume carbs 4-5 days per week and avoid carbs 2-3 days per week.

Another option is making sure you only consume calories during 8 consecutive hours per day.
This is effectively fasting for 16 hours per day.
The second way you mentioned called Time-restricted feeding (TRF), in which daily food consumption restricted to 4-12 hour. But be careful, it is only effective when your "feeding window" is in the morning or early afternoon. If you feeding time is at the end of the day, it is not beneficial anymore.
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Newage

Post by Newage »

Weight gain seems to be elevated if you eat after 7pm and you then retire without the suggested 3 hour digestion time.
I personally aim for nothing but water after 6pm using the 16 hour fast, 8 hour eat schedule.
Results are also governed by how many calories you squeeze into that 8 hour eating window..
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY »

Really recommend Dr. Valter Longo's book "the longevity diet"
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
toriamac

Post by toriamac »

AlbertY wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:42 am
The second way you mentioned called Time-restricted feeding (TRF), in which daily food consumption restricted to 4-12 hour. But be careful, it is only effective when your "feeding window" is in the morning or early afternoon. If you feeding time is at the end of the day, it is not beneficial anymore.
My day begins and ends MUCH LATER than most people.
I get up around 1 pm, don’t start eating until about 4:30 pm - 5:00 pm.
My last food is about 12:30 am-1:00 am, but I don’t go to bed until about 5:00 am.
So, my last food is 3-4 hours before I go to bed.
toriamac

Post by toriamac »

Newage wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:54 pm Weight gain seems to be elevated if you eat after 7pm and you then retire without the suggested 3 hour digestion time.
I personally aim for nothing but water after 6pm using the 16 hour fast, 8 hour eat schedule.
Results are also governed by how many calories you squeeze into that 8 hour eating window..
I don’t fast for weight loss.
I do it for my digestion.
I have a neuromuscular disease that affects my stomach.
Neuropathy in my stomach makes it slow to digest and empty.
I find that if I eat within an 8-9 period, it gives my stomach enough time to process the food.
I eat small amounts at a time, for same reason.
JL777

Post by JL777 »

I have recently incorporated intermittent fasting to my regimen, I have gained lean muscle mass and lost fat. I am working out 5 days a week. I am not as hungry as I was the first week and have noticed increased energy levels. I also take NMN and Nasal Nad+ I absolutely love these supplements!!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic