FastingA very good youtube/podcast interview with Professor Valter Longo on the regenerative effects of fasting

Fred

A very good youtube/podcast interview with Professor Valter Longo on the regenerative effects of fasting

Post by Fred »

Dr. Valter Longo is internationally recognized as a leader in the field of aging studies and related diseases. Known as a “Guru of Longevity,” Dr. Longo is currently Professor of Biogerontology and Biological Sciences and Director of the Institute of Longevity of the School of Gerontology at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, as well as Director of the Oncology and Longevity Program at IFOM in Milan. He is also the Scientific Director of the Create Cures Foundation and the Valter Longo Foundation.

"Valter breaks down the physiological reasons why and how FMD measures up to other practices, like water fasting which can actually create leaky gut.

Autoimmunity, gut issues, Alzheimer’s, and aging have all been found to benefit from the right kind of fasting. Short-term fasting specifically goes after visceral fat—the belly fat leading to inflammation and chronic diseases—providing a huge metabolic boost on a cellular level. Dr. Longo explains how this can be incorporated into a balanced diet and shares his opinions on why the trend of intermittent fasting needs to be more detailed for better outcomes.

We also dive into the ketogenic diet, Valter’s take on macronutrient ranges for longevity, the topic of good versus bad carbs, stem cells, and so much more. This episode is overflowing with valuable information on how to time your meals for a longer, healthier life."

https://youtu.be/zz4ZzNik1Y4

jocko6889

Re: A very good youtube/podcast interview with Professor Valter Longo on the regenerative effects of fasting

Post by jocko6889 »

I've tried 5-day fasting mimic diet and felt great afterwards. For 4 days you only get 800 calories and that's tough. Also no working out and little to no coffee, 2 things I do a lot of. :D

Am going to try Dr. Longo's diet once every 2 months. Here are some more details:

"The FMD program is done over 5 consecutive days. The program consists of high quality foods that provide 1,100 calories on the first day and 800 calories the next four days. The nutrients have been precisely researched and include meals of plant-based whole foods like nuts, olives, teas, and soup mixes. Overall the food in the FMD program comprises about 60% of calories from fats, 10% from protein, and 30% from complex carbohydrates. The program is gluten free and without added sugars or animal proteins. While following the FMD, exercise and alcohol are omitted and coffee is limited or eliminated. The program contains nuts so it’s not appropriate for those with a nut allergy.

What Happens with FMD in Humans?

After years of experiments with FMD in animal models that showed benefits on metabolism and life span, Dr. Longo’s team analyzed the effects in a human clinical trial that was published in 2017.

One hundred healthy subjects participated in the study. Half followed the FMD consecutive five days a month for three months in a row, and the other half ate their usual diet. Profound benefits were seen in terms of weight loss, visceral (belly) fat loss, lower blood pressure, blood sugar, and blood cholesterol, and markers of inflammation."

https://medium.com/@Kahn642/fasting-whi ... 5fc68f8e19
Newage

Re: A very good youtube/podcast interview with Professor Valter Longo on the regenerative effects of fasting

Post by Newage »

Thanks Jocko.
You have got me sold on the diet. I am in the middle of a training block at the moment but keen to give it a go in conjunction with my taper period afterwards.
Added bonus is saving money on food for the week..Food quantity is very “overrated” as opposed to smaller amounts of quality food being consumed throughout the eating phases.
The hours between 5pm and bedtime seem to be the challenge for most people with boredom and TV snacking coming into play with the pantry and refrigerator being only meters away.
That’s why I have brought my daily intermittent fasting period forward from 5pm to 9am.
I then fill the hours between 5pm and retiring with light activities or frequent trips to the movie theatre. “ Don’t stop at the snack bar”
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Cheers for the info, Fred and Jocko!

I'll give it a go! Giving up coffee is going to be a bit tough but worth it. Feeling a bit sluggish lately so this will be a good reset!
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

I am also going to give this a shot! coffee will be a tough one as well.
Thanks Jocko
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic