LongevityMetformin: proven or not?

CeeJayBee

Metformin: proven or not?

Post by CeeJayBee »

I recall in Dr. Sinclair's first interview with Joe Rogan that Metformin was part of his regimen.

https://youtu.be/ZGLL77wYxe8?t=420

Is there an herbal suppliment comparible to Metformin? has anyone here taken it over an extended period of time?

Fred

Re: Metformin: proven or not?

Post by Fred »

Metformin IS a botanical derivative. It was derived from the French lilac. It has been used as a medicine for 60 years in Europe. Any herbs that claim to mimic metformin (like berberine) has not been tested as extensively in humans as metformin and all botanical extracts come with their own toxicity profile if taken in the wrong dose, wrong patient or wrong combination with other drugs or supplements.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Fred wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:23 am Metformin IS a botanical derivative. It was derived from the French lilac. It has been used as a medicine for 60 years in Europe. Any herbs that claim to mimic metformin (like berberine) has not been tested as extensively in humans as metformin and all botanical extracts come with their own toxicity profile if taken in the wrong dose, wrong patient or wrong combination with other drugs or supplements.
So, you are implying the the safe route is the prescribed route?
Fred

Post by Fred »

The prescribed route is the most studied with the least amount of uncertainties. The toxicity profile is well-known compared to other molecules, like berberine for instance.

Metformin is arguably the most studied AMPK-activator there is and is taken by millions of people daily.

But I'm not telling anyone what to do. I can only speak for myself. I would be fairly comfortable taking for example resveratrol due to the several clinical placebo-controlled studies in humans available.

I'm more cautious with a less investigated molecule like berberine.

Everyone needs to do their own personal risk-benefit analysis and weigh in age, state of health, budget, drug-supplement interactions etc.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I'll likely never get a prescription for this...

I will go ahead and be the guinea pig for berberine (and take the b12 supplement)
rhett

Post by rhett »

The main thing is don’t expect to do resistance exercise and metformin together. It is difficult to build strength while on metformin. It’s an exercise mimetic and seems to work best on days or periods in your life when you can’t exercise.
Newage

Post by Newage »

rhett wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:06 pm The main thing is don’t expect to do resistance exercise and metformin together. It is difficult to build strength while on metformin. It’s an exercise mimetic and seems to work best on days or periods in your life when you can’t exercise.
In my world those days don’t exist so I wonder about the exercise regime of the people that are taking it 🤔
Newage

Post by Newage »

If you are taking Metformin or not .
A question for DrDavid.
The longer that sublingual NMN or NAD+ is held under the tongue and in the mouth
(within reason) the more that would be readily absorbed into the system.
Would that be the case or would there be a cut off time when the product was fully absorbed and there would be no more benefit to leaving in the mouth any longer ?
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

I tend to hold it under my tongue as long as possible until saliva builds up in excess. Then (as gross as this might sound) I swish the NMN around my whole mouth especially along the gum lines as this is another great access point to the blood stream. Then after a few minutes I swallow. No science behind this obviously.
DougM

Post by DougM »

Very interesting that Dr Peter Attia posted he is no longer taking Metformin.

gaby__j
Are you continuing metformin while fasting?

peterattiamd
@gaby__j no and I no longer take metformin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic