LongevityAutophagy and how it is related to sirtuins, mTOR, AMPK, fasting and especially to exercise.

Fred

Autophagy and how it is related to sirtuins, mTOR, AMPK, fasting and especially to exercise.

Post by Fred »

A great new write-up and overview of autophagy and how it is related to sirtuins, mTOR, AMPK, fasting and especially exercise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6742954/

Maximizing Longevity and Healthspan: Multiple Approaches All Converging on Autophagy

Abstract
Our understanding of the molecular basis of aging has greatly increased over the past few decades. In this review, we provide an overview of the key signaling pathways associated with aging, and whose modulation has been shown to extend lifespan in a range of model organisms.

We also describe how these pathways converge onto autophagy, a catabolic process that functions to recycle dysfunctional cellular material and maintains energy homeostasis.

Finally, we consider various approaches of therapeutically modulating these longevity pathways, highlighting exercise as a potent geroprotector.

NewLifeScience

Re: Autophagy and how it is related to sirtuins, mTOR, AMPK, fasting and especially to exercise.

Post by NewLifeScience »

Fred wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:55 pm A great new write-up and overview of autophagy and how it is related to sirtuins, mTOR, AMPK, fasting and especially exercise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6742954/

Maximizing Longevity and Healthspan: Multiple Approaches All Converging on Autophagy

Abstract
Our understanding of the molecular basis of aging has greatly increased over the past few decades. In this review, we provide an overview of the key signaling pathways associated with aging, and whose modulation has been shown to extend lifespan in a range of model organisms.

We also describe how these pathways converge onto autophagy, a catabolic process that functions to recycle dysfunctional cellular material and maintains energy homeostasis.

Finally, we consider various approaches of therapeutically modulating these longevity pathways, highlighting exercise as a potent geroprotector.
So how could one best summarize in layman's terms what autophagy is?

recycling poor/older cellular material into new, better quality cells?
Fred

Re: Autophagy and how it is related to sirtuins, mTOR, AMPK, fasting and especially to exercise.

Post by Fred »

Yes. I think autophagy (self-eating) is described pretty good in the abstract:

"...a catabolic process that functions to recycle dysfunctional cellular material and maintains energy homeostasis."
Asclepius

Post by Asclepius »

I've always found this to be extremely interesting, hence the reason i got started in IF in the first place. Switching to one meal a day is hard but not impossible, I find I get brain fog if i don't get that "second meal". Also i'm interested in gaining muscle mass, so the 2 meal balance seems to help me attain both goals.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Asclepius wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:19 pm I've always found this to be extremely interesting, hence the reason i got started in IF in the first place. Switching to one meal a day is hard but not impossible, I find I get brain fog if i don't get that "second meal". Also i'm interested in gaining muscle mass, so the 2 meal balance seems to help me attain both goals.
I have been doing intermittent fasting for a very long time, even before i knew of its benefits for longevity and health, i found it helped with weight loss.

After doing it for weeks (calories under 500 for 5 days, then a break) i found it had no effect on my brain or even energy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic