NutritionProtein restriction diets for stem cell–based regeneration

OzSport

Re: Protein restriction diets for stem cell–based regeneration

Post by OzSport »

Fred wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:10 pm
smokinjoe wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm Normally, I would think that eating high protein during the fast would be preferable to carbs or fat. But maybe fatty, non-carb foods could help.
Eating high protein during a fast is the worse thing you could do. It negates most of the beneficial things you want the fast to accomplish.

It is the lack of protein and energy that starts the DNA repair program and the stem cell based tissue regeneration when you eat again.

No more than 15 g of protein on the five fasting days. The less the better. Vegetable soup without beans is perfect.
I was the same, smokinjoe - I thought eating more protein would help ease the hunger. Thanks for the clarification, Fred, that's great info!

Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Fred wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:18 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:54 pm Fred, I am very confused with the FMD requiring 200-750 kcal (kcal being a kilocalorie = 1000 calories correct?)

This is a lot of calories.

No. When people use the term "calories" what they really mean is kilocalories.

The accurate term is kilocalories.

1 "calorie" = 1 kcal

The FMD is 200-750 kcal which is a very low kcal intake.

A 70 kg man can require about 2600 kcal a day or more.

Scientifically, 1 kilocalorie (1000 calories or 1 kcal) means the energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1kg of water by 1°C.

Calories are units of energy so small that a tiny cookie can provide thousands of them. To ease calculations, energy is expressed in 1000-calorie units known as kilocalories.

That is, 1 Calorie is equivalent to 1 kilocalorie; the capital C in Calories denotes kcal on food labels, calories and kilocalories are used interchangeably to mean the same thing.

In other words, it is just as normal and acceptable for people to use the small “c” instead of big “C” and say “1 gram of fat gives us 9 calories” in the nutrition world as “1 gram of fat gives us 9 kilocalories or 9000 calories” in the physical science world.
I have learned something today... Thanks Fred.

so when you talk about eating no more than 15g of protein and 200-750kcal, these are both the daily limits for the 5 day fast correct?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:49 am I have learned something today... Thanks Fred.

so when you talk about eating no more than 15g of protein and 200-750kcal, these are both the daily limits for the 5 day fast correct?
I´m happy to help ^^ That´s what these forums are for.

Yes, those are the daily limits to keep IGF-1 low and activate the ancient repair programs conserved through evolution as a starvation and stress-response.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Fred wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:21 am
Vandevalk1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:49 am I have learned something today... Thanks Fred.

Yes, those are the daily limits to keep IGF-1 low and activate the ancient repair programs conserved through evolution as a starvation and stress-response.
have you performed this style fast before?

would you recommend a very light physical schedule while practicing this?

how often would a this type of fast be recommended/ year?

thanks!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:27 pm

thanks!
Yes. Several times a year since 2015. But the first nine were 0 kcal 5-day water fasts.

Just walk and stretch is my recommendation. The fast is meant to be catabolic. You should tear tissue down by starvation.

It depends on your state of health and if your normal or overweight. Once a month if obese/overweight and every other month or quarterly if normal weight. Patients with autoimmune disorders are recommended by Valter Longo to do a 7-day 200 kcal fast every month for three months and every other month thereafter. This is to destroy and replace aberrant immune cells on a regular basis.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Fred wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:38 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:27 pm

thanks!
Yes. Several times a year since 2015. But the first nine were 0 kcal 5-day water fasts.

Just walk and stretch is my recommendation. The fast is meant to be catabolic. You should tear tissue down by starvation.

It depends on your state of health and if your normal or overweight. Once a month if obese/overweight and every other month or quarterly if normal weight. Patients with autoimmune disorders are recommended by Valter Longo to do a 7-day 200 kcal fast every month for three months and every other month thereafter. This is to destroy and replace aberrant immune cells on a regular basis.
Wow, very fascinating! I will plan a time soon to try this. I am in good shape with not much fat at all.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Fred wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 pm
Vandevalk1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:34 pm What is a fasting mimicking diet, as opposed to fasting? would an intermittent fasting diet be considered fasting or fasting mimicking?
Intermittent diet doesn't mean anything to me. You have to say how many hours? Days? And how many kcal....zero kcal? 250 kcal? How much protein?

So instead of using the non-descriptive "intermittent fasting" we need to start to specify what that means.

An FMD is between 200 and 750 kcal with no more than 15 g of protein and the fast lasts for 5-7 days. That will activate autophagy, innate DNA repair programs and stem cell regeneration.

You can read about the science on the commercial product site but no fasting kit is necessary. I do these 200 kcal 5 day fasts with just vegetable soups.

https://prolonfmd.com/science-research/
So if I am basically 100kg, i can do a 5-7 day fast of 750 calories with less then 15g of protein and i will accomplish this autophagy?
Fred

Post by Fred »

NewLifeScience,

Yes. Autophagy and DNA-repair and stem cell based whole body tissue regeneration.
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

Fred wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm NewLifeScience,

Yes. Autophagy and DNA-repair and stem cell based whole body tissue regeneration.
whats the longest you'd suggest to this this fast for? 7 days seems intense!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Vandevalk1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 am
Fred wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm NewLifeScience,

whats the longest you'd suggest to this this fast for? 7 days seems intense!
I´ve done 5 days water only = 0 kcal, 5 days of 200 kcal and 7 days of 200 kcal. They´re all doable but water only is mentally taxing. Do 5 days of 750 kcal and next time 500, then 300 and 200 if you like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic