ExerciseStudy find "High-intensity exercise improves memory and wards off dementia"

OzSport

Study find "High-intensity exercise improves memory and wards off dementia"

Post by OzSport »

Check out this article about how high-intensity exercise improves memory and wards off dementia:

http://theconversation.com/high-intensi ... tia-127001

The main paragraph headings are:
- Train for a healthy brain
- Physical activity lowers risk
- Exercise acts like a fertilizer (this was really interesting!)
- It matters how much you sweat

Drdavid

Re: Study find "High-intensity exercise improves memory and wards off dementia"

Post by Drdavid »

I guess my question is how do we get the 80 year olds to do high intensity exercise?
Newage

Post by Newage »

Drdavid wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:25 pm I guess my question is how do we get the 80 year olds to do high intensity exercise?

Come and train with me in 10 years time... :cry:
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE »

Interesting.

Anyone can benefit - High intensity is relative to the individual.
The HIIT protocol included four sets of high-intensity exercise on a treadmill for four minutes, followed by a recovery period. The MICT protocol included one set of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise for nearly 50 minutes. All exercises were tailored to the seniors’ current fitness levels.

Is further confimation that repeated short bouts of exercise is better than grinding it out for longer periods.

I used to run marathons, but so glad I learned how counterproductive that is.

I'd bet they get even better results in that study if they were 2 minutes instead of 4 minute sets.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

The great thing about this type of exercise is that it can be done with any type of exercise - you don't need fancy equipment!

I remember watching one of Dr. Michael Mosley's shows back in the day about how basic HIIT on a stationary bike done consistently helped increase his fitness level. I can't find the full documentary on youtube, but here's a short clip from it ("The Truth About Exercise"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-h_w7bJrU

Here's a clip I found of the doctor doing some basic HIIT at home, simple but effective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBiJp6vg638
Newage

Post by Newage »

Yes.
Michael Mosley included a short daily period of intense effort (exercise) as part of his 5:2 diet. The short and intense effort was effective in enhancing metabolism and a necessity with the diet to gain maximum results.
2000 kilojoules in the evening after fasting from the evening meal the night before.
“The weight drops off” very effective... :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic