NMNNMN reduces Colds recovery??

Drdavid

Re: NMN reduces Colds recovery??

Post by Drdavid »

Fred wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:25 am
Drdavid wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:02 am In 2017-2018 the were between 151-161 million flu shots provided by the manufacturers. All with possible side effects both major and minor. Just contemplate if that number could be reduced if more people knew about NAD+/NMN
But flu shots are proven to reduce the incidence of influenza to various degree (and from year to year).

NAD precursors on the other hand have no proof that they can reduce infections of any kind.

Let's be open minded but also not fall into fantastical hyperbole when there's no evidence to support it.
I am not going to get into an argument about the flu vaccine but I do want to provide an interesting study that talks about the effectiveness of the flue vaccine and how the reported numbers may have been biased. Although we do not have flu related research about NAD/NMN it is an interesting hypothesis that these products could help alleviate symptoms or maybe even fight against infection. It is imperative that we keep an open mind when introducing a new product and its possible benefits.

Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Sep 1; 170(5): 650–656.
Published online 2009 Jul 22. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwp173
PMCID: PMC2728831
PMID: 19625341
Influenza Vaccination and Mortality: Differentiating Vaccine Effects From Bias
Bruce Fireman,corresponding author Janelle Lee, Ned Lewis, Oliver Bembom, Mark van der Laan, and Roger Baxter

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2728831/

Fred

Post by Fred »

We can agree that there is no evidence of any antiviral, antibacterial or immunomodulating effect of NAD precursors relevant to influenza as you speculated about.

There’s no evidence that NAD precursors can fight any infections and certainly not replace the lifesaving vaccines we have.
AUKC

Post by AUKC »

Fred wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:08 am We can agree that there is no evidence of any antiviral, antibacterial or immunomodulating effect of NAD precursors relevant to influenza as you speculated about.

There’s no evidence that NAD precursors can fight any infections and certainly not replace the lifesaving vaccines we have.
Agreed.

We should make clear that current speculation is just that, speculation.
Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
750mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
Newage

Post by Newage »

AUKC wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:23 am
Fred wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:08 am We can agree that there is no evidence of any antiviral, antibacterial or immunomodulating effect of NAD precursors relevant to influenza as you speculated about.

Agreed.

We should make clear that current speculation is just that, speculation.
But also keep an open mind..
We would not have a flu vaccine without some acceptance of initial speculation in that field.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

I can testify that I havent been sick not even with a cold, since taking NMN. So in my own experience? Yes it does.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

You might find this article rather interesting:

Innate Immun. 2011 Apr;17(2):212-33. doi: 10.1177/1753425910361989. Epub 2010 Apr 13.
Review: NAD +: a modulator of immune functions.
Grahnert A1, Grahnert A, Klein C, Schilling E, Wehrhahn J, Hauschildt S.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20388721
Fred

Post by Fred »

Drdavid wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:40 pm You might find this article rather interesting:

Innate Immun. 2011 Apr;17(2):212-33. doi: 10.1177/1753425910361989. Epub 2010 Apr 13.
Review: NAD +: a modulator of immune functions.
Grahnert A1, Grahnert A, Klein C, Schilling E, Wehrhahn J, Hauschildt S.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20388721
NAD is involved in many processes. But there is no reason to think that NAD precursors would prevent infections. There's no evidence to support that idea.

Hundreds of thousands of patients have been taking nicotinic acid to lower cholesterol and raise HDL. They've increased NAD in blood with no reported lower occurrence of infections.

I haven't even found any animal data to support your hypothesis.

Maybe NAD precursors will show to lower the risk of infection...or not. Until tried scientifically we won't know (we will just have anecdotes and their inherent problem with bias and placebo).
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

So you think that all the people on this thread and board that have reported either not getting sick or recovering faster are all experiencing a placebo from NAD+/NMN supplementation?
Newage

Post by Newage »

Drdavid wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:57 pm So you think that all the people on this thread and board that have reported either not getting sick or recovering faster are all experiencing a placebo from NAD+/NMN supplementation?
I agree Drdavid.
Give me real life in real time experiences any day. Unfortunately the world is full of individuals that do not have the ability or do not want to think outside of their own little bubble...
Reminds me of a story about the clothing shop owner that went “bankrupt” because they stocked their shop with only red garments:
(their favourite colour) without being prepared to take anyone else’s view or colour choices into account..
Fred

Post by Fred »

Drdavid wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:57 pm So you think that all the people on this thread and board that have reported either not getting sick or recovering faster are all experiencing a placebo from NAD+/NMN supplementation?
That is impossible to answer without conducting a placebo controlled trial. You always need to rule out the placebo effect.

SELECTION BIAS: the people having a cold on NAD precursors right now may not be as inclined to post along with the ones saying they haven't had a cold since starting the supplement.
Anecdotal evidence is not real evidence.

There is no proof that NAD precursors can prevent any infections.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic