Miscellaneous TopicsMethyl Donors

p75213

Methyl Donors

Post by p75213 »

Does anybody take methyl donars? I am aware of vitamin B12 combined with folate and TMG (Trimethylglycine), but can't seem to find anything regarding dosage.

rhett

Re: Methyl Donors

Post by rhett »

I’ve heard so much conflicting information... I’m trying to remember which podcast, maybe Peter Attia, but the takeaway was if you’re taking under 1000mg of nad precursor you won’t need methyl supplementation.
Rob1

Post by Rob1 »

Before supplementing folic acid or folate be sure that you do not have MTHFR gene mutation. Almost half the population has MTHFR gene mutation and folic acid can be detrimental to the methylation cycle causing a whole slew of problems. Many doctors and medical professionals advise to take folic acid when you have this mutation but this is totally wrong. I have a functional intracellular folate deficiency and serum folate excess so its the same as glucose in a diabetic refusing to take insulin. I worried for a while because I know folic acid is found in foods but folic acid is less than 1% of the folates found in food so it is not to worry.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Rob1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 pm Before supplementing folic acid or folate be sure that you do not have MTHFR gene mutation. Almost half the population has MTHFR gene mutation and folic acid can be detrimental to the methylation cycle causing a whole slew of problems.
What problems? A scientifically credible source of this?
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

I take 750mg of TMG/daily and feel more alert. Sinclair has also added TMG to his daily regimen. I Don't think there's a set level of NMN you'd take in order to need TMG. If you feel tired, you might try TMG. Methyl groups are important for synthesizing creatine and dopamine, both of which can be lost excreting methyl groups along with excess NMN.
Rob1

Post by Rob1 »

Fred wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:39 pm
Rob1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 pm Before supplementing folic acid or folate be sure that you do not have MTHFR gene mutation. Almost half the population has MTHFR gene mutation and folic acid can be detrimental to the methylation cycle causing a whole slew of problems.
What problems? A scientifically credible source of this?
https://doctordoni.com/2017/12/taking-f ... ith-mthfr/
This sums it up.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Rob1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:32 pm https://doctordoni.com/2017/12/taking-f ... ith-mthfr/
This sums it up.
No it doesn't. A blog post by a non-medical self-described "doctor" is not a source of scientifically credible evidence. Blogging "naturopaths" are not licensed to practice medicine.

Please show me the scientific papers arguing that natural folates or folic acid is detrimental to a genetic subset of the population carrying this mutation.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

Fred wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:41 pm
Rob1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:32 pm https://doctordoni.com/2017/12/taking-f ... ith-mthfr/
This sums it up.
No it doesn't. A blog post by a non-medical self-described "doctor" is not a source of scientifically credible evidence. Blogging "naturopaths" are not licensed to practice medicine.

Please show me the scientific papers arguing that natural folates or folic acid is detrimental to a genetic subset of the population carrying this mutation.
I have to agree with Fred. The University this particular individual attended has received some criticism over the scientific rigor for its naturopathic program. I am a big believer in evidence based research, so this takes away from the validity of her blog:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastyr_University
Fred

Post by Fred »

canadahealthy wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:18 am
I have to agree with Fred. The University this particular individual attended has received some criticism over the scientific rigor for its naturopathic program. I am a big believer in evidence based research, so this takes away from the validity of her blog:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastyr_University
Wow. Thank you Canadyhealthy for doing some welcome investigative work into these sham-doctors.

I´m also a disciple of evidence-based research and I work in a hospital with seriously ill patients dealing with kidney failure, dysphagia caused by stroke or Alzheimer´s and other diseases. I decide what parenteral and enteral nutrition they get.

If I would be "open-minded" to untested treatments and did not follow protocol my patients would suffer and die as they can´t eat.

These "naturopaths" are a part of the New Age quackery that used to be called "alternative medicine". There´s only one form of medicine and the only ones calling it "allopathic" are the ones that don´t practice medicine at all.

The followers of these non-evidence based beliefs don´t want to hear of scientific evidence. They prefer anecdotal, biased non-controlled word-of-mouth instead of using the only time-honored real truth-seeking method we have, the scientific method.
Bastyr's programs teach and research topics that are considered pseudoscience, quackery, and fake by the scientific and medical communities.[3][4][5][6] Quackwatch, a group against health fraud, put Bastyr University on its list of "questionable organizations" as a school which is "accredited but not recommended".[7]

Bastyr University and similar naturopathic programs are not accredited as medical schools but as special programs that are overseen by a naturopathic council which is not required to be scientific.[8][9][10]

Bastyr's naturopathic program has been accused by critics of misrepresenting its medical rigor and its ability to train primary care clinicians.[3][11][12]
Last edited by Fred on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob1

Post by Rob1 »

https://datapunk.net/opus23blog/2016/02 ... thyl-trap/

I do not trust traditional medicine as I have had horrible experiences with them. My doctor is a licensed MD and practices precision medicine and TCM. I trust her on this..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic