NutritionKeto diet reduces the levels of intestinal pro-inflammatory cells.

AlbertY

Keto diet reduces the levels of intestinal pro-inflammatory cells.

Post by AlbertY »

Very low-carbohydrate, high-fat ketogenic diets (KDs) induce a pronounced shift in metabolic fuel utilization that elevates circulating ketone bodies; however, the consequences of these compounds for host-microbiome interactions remain unknown. Here, we show that KDs alter the human and mouse gut microbiota in a manner distinct from high-fat diets (HFDs). Metagenomic and metabolomic analyses of stool samples from an 8-week inpatient study revealed marked shifts in gut microbial community structure and function during the KD. Gradient diet experiments in mice confirmed the unique impact of KDs relative to HFDs with a reproducible depletion of bifidobacteria. In vitro and in vivo experiments showed that ketone bodies selectively inhibited bifidobacterial growth. Finally, mono-colonizations and human microbiome transplantations into germ-free mice revealed that the KD-associated gut microbiota reduces the levels of intestinal pro-inflammatory Th17 cells. Together, these results highlight the importance of trans-kingdom chemical dialogs for mediating the host response to dietary interventions.

https://doi-org.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.e ... 020.04.027

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
drkris69

Re: Keto diet reduces the levels of intestinal pro-inflammatory cells.

Post by drkris69 »

More the reason I should switch to a strick keto diet. Thank you for the post.
CarlMaxx

Post by CarlMaxx »

Hi Albert,
I'm new here and just starting my journey so very much non technical but happy to learn which includes a complete review of diet.

The link is behind a wall so can't read it but I'm assuming the non technical highlight is that
  • Keto is better over HFD
  • ketone bodies selectively inhibited bifidobacterial growth is a good thing?
Anything else you can share? Anything similar with more plant based?

thanks
Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:17 pm More the reason I should switch to a strick keto diet. Thank you for the post.
I’m hearing you..
I think it is the way to go and certainly worth a try. I find an overload of Carbs depletes my energy levels and mindset significantly.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I think, almost as much as sugar, that carbs are the enemy.

And contrary to 40 years of false propaganda about dietary fat, it is largely good for us.

This is especially good news for people trying to lose weight. You can still eat a fair bit, just do your best to avoid the starchy carbs and sugar.

But if it's heathy fat i am looking for, i will mostly have fish fats for the fatty acids, but red meat fats are good too.
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

canadahealthy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:28 pm I think, almost as much as sugar, that carbs are the enemy.

And contrary to 40 years of false propaganda about dietary fat, it is largely good for us.

This is especially good news for people trying to lose weight. You can still eat a fair bit, just do your best to avoid the starchy carbs and sugar.

But if it's heathy fat i am looking for, i will mostly have fish fats for the fatty acids, but red meat fats are good too.
Saturated fats and mono-unsaturated (e.g. olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil) are the healthy fats promoting the good cholesterol. Polyunsaturated (e.g. sunflower oil or rapeseed oil) are the unhealthy ones and should be avoided.
CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee »

RobSmith wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:25 pm
canadahealthy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:28 pm I think, almost as much as sugar, that carbs are the enemy.

Saturated fats and mono-unsaturated (e.g. olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil) are the healthy fats promoting the good cholesterol. Polyunsaturated (e.g. sunflower oil or rapeseed oil) are the unhealthy ones and should be avoided.
I am not convinced that all Polyunsaturated are equal... sunflower oil, from the seeds produces mono and poly unsaturated fats, the poly being Linoleic acid,an essential Omega 6 fatty acid. it also as 30% Oleic acid (mono).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic