NutritionOne more reason to avoid surgar!

AlbertY

One more reason to avoid surgar!

Post by AlbertY »

New study shows that sucrose (table sugar), not fat, is the main driver of atherosclerosis in hyperlipidemic mice.
We fed pro-atherogenic LDLr−/− ApoB100/100 mice either a low-fat/high-sucrose (LFHS) or a high-fat/low-sucrose (HFLS) diet for 24 weeks. HFLS feeding increased obesity, insulin resistance and dyslipidemia compared to LFHS feeding. Conversely, high sucrose consumption decreased gut microbial diversity while augmenting inflammation and the adaptative immune defense against metabolic endotoxemia and reduced macrophage cholesterol efflux capacity. This led to more severe cardiovascular complications as revealed by remarkably high level of atherosclerotic lesions and the early development of cardiac dysfunction in LFHS vs HFLS fed mice.
https://sciencedirect.com/science/artic ... 5020302550

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
drkris69

Re: One more reason to avoid surgar!

Post by drkris69 »

Great article, sugar should be avoided at all cost! The problem is its in most processed foods.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

So how about HFNS?

I would like to see more studies with high fat. I am getting more convinced that fatty acids can be a big health boon, and also can help some people taper off sugar, since fatty foods can help with cravings.
Newage

Post by Newage »

drkris69 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 am Great article, sugar should be avoided at all cost! The problem is its in most processed foods.
One of the most detrimental substances to our lifestyle and wellbeing..
I have never had it in the house in any shape or form..It’s surprising how sweet all food tastes without adding anything to it, after the body adapts.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Well my last bastion of sugar is in my coffee. I am a long standing Tim Horton's large double-double.

Lots of people have told me it only takes 2 weeks without sugar to get used to it - i just need to force myself to start.

Something tells my caffeine plus pure sugar is not all that good.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

Tim Horton's muffins are crazy good I must say, just say No! and walk away..
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

smokinjoe wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:09 pm Well my last bastion of sugar is in my coffee. I am a long standing Tim Horton's large double-double.

Lots of people have told me it only takes 2 weeks without sugar to get used to it - i just need to force myself to start.

Something tells my caffeine plus pure sugar is not all that good.
Ah yes, for me a Tim Horton's double double coffee with a sour cream donut is indeed a guilty pleasure! :D I reckon if you moderate your intake of a double-double, you will be ok - say, instead of one every day, ease into having one every second day, then one every third day, etc.

Years ago I used to put in one to two sugars in my daily lattes...I found that I felt alright drinking it but within an hour or two, didn't feel so great so over time I cut back on the sugars and can drink a standard latte with no sugar at all and it tastes absolutely fine to me (the sugars from the milk is now enough sweetness)! For some, going cold turkey is the best while for others (like myself), a gradual reduction of sugar in my coffee over a period of time is what did the trick. :)
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

drkris69 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:25 am Tim Horton's muffins are crazy good I must say, just say No! and walk away..
The muffins are indeed very tasty! I find that the donut holes are very addictive - like potato chips, you can't just stop at one! Hence why they're only an occasional treat for me, otherwise I'd be eating dozens of them, haha! :D
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Newage wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:48 pm
drkris69 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 am Great article, sugar should be avoided at all cost! The problem is its in most processed foods.
One of the most detrimental substances to our lifestyle and wellbeing..
I have never had it in the house in any shape or form..It’s surprising how sweet all food tastes without adding anything to it, after the body adapts.
I agree, Newage! I have sugar in the house but use it very sparingly. The movie / documentary, "That Sugar Film!" does a good job of showing the detrimental effects of sugar on a person...it's especially heartbreaking to see very young kids and adults have to get intensive dental work done due to regularly drinking the heavily sugared drink of Mountain Dew. :cry:
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

AlbertY wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:23 pm New study shows that sucrose (table sugar), not fat, is the main driver of atherosclerosis in hyperlipidemic mice.
We fed pro-atherogenic LDLr−/− ApoB100/100 mice either a low-fat/high-sucrose (LFHS) or a high-fat/low-sucrose (HFLS) diet for 24 weeks. HFLS feeding increased obesity, insulin resistance and dyslipidemia compared to LFHS feeding. Conversely, high sucrose consumption decreased gut microbial diversity while augmenting inflammation and the adaptative immune defense against metabolic endotoxemia and reduced macrophage cholesterol efflux capacity. This led to more severe cardiovascular complications as revealed by remarkably high level of atherosclerotic lesions and the early development of cardiac dysfunction in LFHS vs HFLS fed mice.
https://sciencedirect.com/science/artic ... 5020302550
Thanks for sharing, AlbertY! I quite liked how things were summarised in the illustration PDF!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic