ExerciseMayo Clinic Study on HIIT Exercise

jocko6889

Mayo Clinic Study on HIIT Exercise

Post by jocko6889 »

It's becoming more and more clear that the effects of NMN are greatly amplified by exercise. According to a new study by the Mayo Clinic, it looks like HIIT training (high intensity interval training) is the best way kick mitochondria into high gear.

"Mayo Clinic study: HIIT has 'anti-ageing benefits'

A study by Mayo Clinic has suggested that high-intensity interval training (HIIT) can reverse signs of ageing at the cellular level.

The research, published in the Cell Metabolism journal, studied 72 sedentary adults divided into two age groups of "young" (18 to 30 years old) and "older" (65 to 80 years old).
Each individual was then assigned one of three 12-week workout routines – HIIT cycling, strength training or a regime combining the two.

All training types improved lean body mass and insulin sensitivity, but only HIIT and combined training improved aerobic capacity and mitochondrial function for skeletal muscle. A decline in mitochondrial content and function are common in older adults.

HIIT also improved muscle protein content that not only enhanced energetic functions but also caused muscle enlargement, especially in older adults.

The researchers concluded that HIIT significantly enhances the cellular machinery responsible for making new proteins. That, in turn, contributes to protein synthesis which can reverse the adverse effects of ageing. Adding resistance training, however, is important to achieve significant muscle strength.

“We encourage everyone to exercise regularly, but the take-home message for ageing adults that supervised HIIT is probably best, because, both metabolically and at the molecular level, it confers the most benefits,” said K. Sreekumaran Nair, a Mayo Clinic endocrinologist and senior researcher on the study.

For more, click the link below

http://www.healthclubmanagement.co.uk/h ... ejvZoCm7sY

OzSport

Re: Mayo Clinic Study on HIIT Exercise

Post by OzSport »

HIIT is great! I don't take any formal HIIT exercise classes but I try to incorporate some into my general exercise, like through running and swimming - for example, if I'm doing a short jog, I will do a couple of sprints in between; if I'm swimming, I will do some sprints in the pool to break up the monotony. Some sport are also great for HIIT, like hockey and basketball.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I agree - and generally any exercise that gets you into the aerobic phase, where you have an elevated heart rate for at least 15 minutes, is going to release or stimulate hormones, like endorphins as well as neurotransmitters like dopamine, nor-epinephrine, and serotonin.

They bathe your blood of bad hormones, like cortisol, and the stress related catecholamines, and thus act as a system wide anti-inflammatory.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4703784/
Vandevalk1

Post by Vandevalk1 »

A huge conflict with bodybuilding is gaining size while still trying to lose fat. HIIT is the key to get around this. To gain muscle you lift weight. To lose fat you do cardio. With tradition methods of cardio (such as 60 mins of running) we actually counteract the muscle gains attained by weight lifting and lose muscle mass.

With HIIT cardio you can deplete your energy stores by 15% with as little as 10 seconds of HIIT (something that could take up to 60 minutes with traditional cardio)
another added bonus to HIIT cardio is instead of burning fat for the duration of your workout, you actually burn fat ALL DAY LONG! and yet you maintain your muscle mass and can actually gain muscle from this practice.

for more information watch the video in the link below, specifically at 7min 5sec mark.
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mass-c ... rowth.html
dhath

Post by dhath »

Hello, I've been lurking around in the background for a little while now, sort of the new kid on the block as you may say. I'm a 63 year old who has been an avid cyclist for over 41 years. My favorite off season training has been Zwift and Sufferfest. If any of you have a bike trainer, I would highly recommend checking out Sufferfest (https://thesufferfest.com), the site has a ton of structured interval workouts, I use them approx. 3 times a week, and fill in the rest of the week by riding in Zwift (https://zwift.com), usually at zone 2 (100-120 bpm).

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

dhath wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:02 pm Hello, I've been lurking around in the background for a little while now, sort of the new kid on the block as you may say. I'm a 63 year old who has been an avid cyclist for over 41 years. My favorite off season training has been Zwift and Sufferfest. If any of you have a bike trainer, I would highly recommend checking out Sufferfest (https://thesufferfest.com), the site has a ton of structured interval workouts, I use them approx. 3 times a week, and fill in the rest of the week by riding in Zwift (https://zwift.com), usually at zone 2 (100-120 bpm).

Same here.  Love cycling and Zwift is great but I've had trouble calibrating the Kinetic Smart trainer I bought.  Support knows there are issues but can't seem to solve it, so I'm thinking of selling the unit on eBay and getting a direct drive trainer - the kind you remove the back wheel entirely and place the back end inside the trainer.  Much more accurate and should solve the problem.  What brand are you using and how do you like it?  As for outdoors, I train for Gran Fondo races of 40 or 60 miles.  I do several a year.

dhath

Post by dhath »

Probably the best idea. I hear the Wahoo Kikr is really good, that's what I'd get if I were in the market for one. I use E-Motion rollers with the smart resistance option. It's the closest thing I can find to actually simulate road riding indoors (http://www.insideride.com/features). The only issue I have is that the resistance does not go as high as a direct drive trainer, such as the ones you're looking at. I hear that it will simulate at maximum a 10% grade. The direct drive trainers go much higher than that.  As for rides. I'm currently registered for the NJ Highlands Gran Fondo, which got postponed due to Covid, but the event was rescheduled for 2021. The events I've ridden in the past include Gran Fondo NY, Garden State Gran Fondo, The Assult on Mount Mitchell, The Mount Greylock Century; all full centuries, as well as many others. I still would like to attempt the Markleeville Deathride.

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

Yeah I like the Wahoo Kikr.  Quite a bit more expensive but worth it.  That's what I'll probably get.  The E-Motion sounds nice but I agree it would be better to have the full range of resistance.  For example, you can download a file these days of an entire Gran Fondo race, simulating the exact grade throughout the ride.  Great training and preparation for a race.  I'm pretty sure Wahoo would have this capability but would want to make sure before I buy one.  I'm sure Zwift would also be a much better experience on a Wahoo as well. 

Congrats on doing a century race.  That is something I'd like to work up to.  May need a bit more training and NMN.  Many events were cancelled around here due to Covid this summer as well, but with the vaccine hopefully we'll resume in 2021. Sounds like you have some pretty good races up your way.  We are known for the Tulsa Tough, which is ranked as the 6th best cycling event in the U.S.  Very professionally organized and a lot of fun.
dhath

Post by dhath »

If you ever get onto Zwift, let me know. We'll go for a ride sometime.
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

Okay, sounds good!  May be awhile because I need to sell my Kinetic trainer on ebay and buy the Wahoo.  Looking forward to getting the new system setup!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic