NMNSleep Affected by NMN

thomasdmd

Sleep Affected by NMN

Post by thomasdmd »

Over the past year I've heard a few on the facebook group say their sleep was affected by taking NMN. The problem I thought is they are usually taking other supplements so I would say this is a questionable conclusion.  Without a study where participants only add NMN to their routine, the stories are anecdotal.  But since we don't have studies I would like to hear others findings regarding sleep while taking NMN.

Personally, I have not noticed a difference, however I only take 250-500 mg per day.  I've had a few nights where I had so much energy, I couldn't easily fall asleep. But I can usually correlate those days with excess caffeine consumption.

I think as research goes on we might find that 1,000 mg of sublingual or liposomal NMN to be far more potent than the 1,000 mg of ingested NMN originally recommended by Dr. Sinclair.  In addition we have to factor in the transdermal products entering the bloodstream.

Boxcost

Re: Sleep Affected by NMN

Post by Boxcost »

Not at first but within a couple of months on NMN I noticed disrupted first phase of sleep. In terms of REM state or the third phase, has actually helped greatly ever since on NMN with dreams now more vivid, longer ...more DNA repair :)

As a result I personally avoid taking NMN after 3PM or 4PM latest, same rule for me with coffee although when younger I was one of those people that could have a coffee 30-60min before going to bed and sleep fine (or at least I thought I did at the time). I discovered later in life that I have the gene that processes caffeine quicker than most.
thomasdmd

Post by thomasdmd »

Same here, I actually time my NMN use when I need energy, much like I do with coffee
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 »

thomasdmd wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:43 pm Same here, I actually time my NMN use when I need energy, much like I do with coffee

I am still experimenting with dosage of NMN.  I think you can build up NAD+ in the system, so that lack of sleep from too much can creep up on you and then persist until you get it down to normal levels. 

I was taking 1 gram/day a few months ago and doing fine, but at some point my system apparently got overloaded with NAD+ and I couldn't sleep.  This dragged on for awhile until I decided to completely reset and purge my body of it for several weeks and start over.  I finally returned to a normal sleep cycle after almost a month, so started over again with a low dose and kept increasing slowly to figure out where my top end tolerance was.  It seems to be between 500 and 750mg.  If I'm on 500mg, I'm okay but when I up it to 750mg for more than a few days the lack of sleep returns.  Not insomnia but only getting around 5 hours of sleep per night.

I read some months ago about a possible skin test to measure NAD+ levels on the horizon.  This is really what is needed - a way to test NAD+ levels to see where you're at.  

OMillsPA

Post by OMillsPA »

I'm a rookie at taking NMN, I've only started about a month ago.  I only take two sub lingual tablets.  My sleep has actually improved to about 10 hours per night straight through.   I think because my runs are harder and I'm burning more energy.  I've been losing weight.  I'm not in any hurry to bump up to a higher level as i feel great.  I believe exercise is the key to my improvements.
thomasdmd

Post by thomasdmd »

Eventually we will learn optimal doses for everyone.  I am guessing age and body weight are important variables. A 110lb 40 year old female will have different needs than a  280lb 60 yo male.  The skin test would be a very valuable tool.
Dekejis

Post by Dekejis »

I had some sleep issues when I first started taking it, but I think it was simply from taking it too late in the day. Now i keep my doses to before 3pm and generally I'm having no problems now.

Interestingly, I also have been having crazy, really vivid dreams that I can remember much better upon waking than before. I don't know if this is due to the NMN or some other supplements I've started with (ESS60 comes to mind) or some synergistic action of a combination that I'm unwittingly taking. For maybe the first two weeks or so, I would wake up over and over all night with wild dreams, lie awake for a little bit and go right back into it. It seems to sort of be toning down; I'm still getting the crazy dreams, but it's not waking me up as much in the middle of the night now.
The frustrating bit is that I've been trying to go to bed early so I can wake up on my own without an alarm, but without looking at a clock (and potentially really waking myself up), I have NO idea if it's actually time to get up, or just another short wakefulness episode.

I'm still trying to figure out my optimal dose as well.
Newage

Post by Newage »

The vivid dreams seem to be part of it in the early stages but subside as the body adjusts to the protocol. I use to quite enjoy some of the early vivid dreams. I rarely take my NMN or NAD+ after 1 or 2pm.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy »

I don't feel anything at this point (heading on 2 years) regardless on when i take it, but i prefer first thing in the am, because I have come to feel that performing work of any kind makes the NMN work harder for me.

So if I took it before bed, i think i would be missing out on the benefit of taking it before i begin my day,
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

From my understanding, NMN/NAD+ won't do much unless the Sirtuins are active, which won't come about sitting on the couch or asleep. 
I take a bit of NAD+ immediately before exercising in the morning and top up with the daily dose of NMN straight afterwards. 
I hope this generates the maximum effect. 
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic