LongevityThe Heart... what can we do for it

Newage

Re: The Heart... what can we do for it

Post by Newage »

ChrisBON wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:03 pm It is unlikely to go over, but fasting can be a help even for an older person.

Sometimes they end up fasting without planning it, as elderly tend to have smaller appetites.

Yes, you are “what you eat”
I believe that quantity of food is overrated and it’s all about the quality of the food.

Boxcost

Post by Boxcost »

Newage wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:13 pm
ChrisBON wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:03 pm It is unlikely to go over, but fasting can be a help even for an older person.

Sometimes they end up fasting without planning it, as elderly tend to have smaller appetites.

Yes, you are “what you eat”
I believe that quantity of food is overrated and it’s all about the quality of the food.

Agree, quality whole food is where it is at.

Although too much of ANYTHING can kill you, so quantity and mix (food synergy) are still a key considerations.

rhett

Post by rhett »

CeeJayBee wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:04 pm Ok, so I have a dear friend, over 85 who has been taking NMN for a while. She also has started with fisetin.

For all i know she could be benefitting to some degree. 

However she has some heart issues:
1. COnjestive heart failure : essentially the failure of the heart to adequately remove fluid from the lungs and elsewhere. This was recently discovered, but due to her 20 pound weight loss from the diuretics, i am thinking it has been plaguing her for some time
2. Regurgitating heart valves (mitral and tricuspid)
3. Arrhythmia 

I am thinking 2 and 3 could cause 1 ... but i don't know

I think the path forward really depends on how much of the heart failure is primarily due to the heart valve issues. 

When the heart squeezes, it's counting on the heart valves to close well enough so that the squeeze sends the blood in the "correct direction". Otherwise you have some percentage back-flowing the wrong way and that doesn't help you at all. You end up with blood pooling in places it shouldn't.

To compensate, the heart gets stronger so it can pump harder. But this only sort of works because you can end up with pressure imbalances (because it's squeezing harder in both directions, maybe backwards into the lungs) and because a "big muscle" heart is not as flexible and like a bodybuilder who is too pumped up and can't bend his arms well. So the body's solution to the problem eventually creates more of a problem.

Where NMN can help is this: 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28724806/

NMN can help existing heart muscle to pump more efficiently without needing to "bulk up" as much, which helps the runaway failure problem.   Most likely she will be on other drugs to keep the heart from bulking up and NMN could be complementary to these. NMN can also help make existing heart muscle more flexible in cases of diastolic heart failure (not a pumping problem, but a filling problem) 

So NMN is not going to do anything to help the valve issues but if fixing the valves is not a possibility due to her health, then NMN could help with the secondary effects.
TedB

Post by TedB »

NMN, fasting, resveratrol and weight loss if needed seem to be the best approach.

And exercise if possible.

It is amazing that the heart literally had replaceable parts, even additive parts, like a pacemaker.

I think a lot can be done for hearts, and this is a good thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic