ExerciseA new study shows it's never too late to begin strength building

AlbertY

A new study shows it's never too late to begin strength building

Post by AlbertY »

It's never too late to adopt healthy habits! New research from the University of Birmingham shows that older adults in their seventies and eighties new to strength training have the same ability to build muscle as those who have been exercising for years:

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science ... ng-seniors

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
NewLifeScience

Re: A new study shows it's never too late to begin strength building

Post by NewLifeScience »

I recall studies showing how even seniors can improve bone density with weight bearing exercises
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

NewLifeScience wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:04 pm I recall studies showing how even seniors can improve bone density with weight bearing exercises
I think there are a lot of additional benefits such as calorie-burning, increase lean muscle mass and obviously greater strength
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

I totally agree, it's never too late!

I found some more articles supporting this:
https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclop ... 47213.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/well ... ology.html

Here is a simple, beginner 20-minute weight training workout for seniors, but I reckon it would be a great starting point for any person of any age:
https://www.verywellfit.com/20-minute-s ... ut-3498676

Check out this motivational story of a 76 year old lady who powerlifts, so awesome!
https://www.wsj.com/articles/shes-power ... 1546084800
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

I agree that seniors should be lifting to gain muscle mass and increase bone density. As always there are right and wrong ways to approach this. First get a great coach. Second be consistent. Third take the supplements your body needs to build.
Newage

Post by Newage »

[mod][/mod]
Drdavid wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 am I agree that seniors should be lifting to gain muscle mass and increase bone density. As always there are right and wrong ways to approach this. First get a great coach. Second be consistent. Third take the supplements your body needs to build.
I agree Drdavid.
The big mistake that the majority of people make being seniors or not, is by way of trying to coach themselves.
Over training, incorrect recovery methods and not being up to speed with supplementation are a few of the mistakes that are made.
A “good coach” can look outside the square.. and then determine and advise on the above :ugeek:
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Newage wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:20 pm [mod][/mod]
Drdavid wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 am I agree that seniors should be lifting to gain muscle mass and increase bone density. As always there are right and wrong ways to approach this. First get a great coach. Second be consistent. Third take the supplements your body needs to build.
I agree Drdavid.
The big mistake that the majority of people make being seniors or not, is by way of trying to coach themselves.
Over training, incorrect recovery methods and not being up to speed with supplementation are a few of the mistakes that are made.
A “good coach” can look outside the square.. and then determine and advise on the above :ugeek:
Agree, Drdavid and Newage! Usually with new gym memberships, they provide a free initial tour of the gym as well a consultation to get acquainted with the machines, and the classes and trainers available (at an old gym I went to, they even provided something like 3-5 free personal training sessions to get you started). I think sometimes people are afraid of looking like they "don't know" what's going on at a gym so they try to do it on their own, which can lead to injury and lower self-confidence. It's OK to say, "I have no idea what this machine does, can you please show me how it works?" and it's OK to also ask the question again (and again!) if you need further clarification. :D
AUKC

Post by AUKC »

The worst thing I see in the gym is uneducated people teaching other uneducated people how to train. Really takes a lot for me to hold back saying "you're gonna snap your shit up doing that".

Best advice going in without a coach, would be to start really light and lift really slowly. Feel your body.
Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
750mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
Newage

Post by Newage »

AUKC wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:00 pm The worst thing I see in the gym is uneducated people teaching other uneducated people how to train. Really takes a lot for me to hold back saying "you're gonna snap your shit up doing that".

Best advice going in without a coach, would be to start really light and lift really slowly. Feel your body.
Yes AUKC.
There are always a “ lot of would be if they could be, coaches on the Gym floor”
Politely listen to the advice, halve it and then take away the first number you thought of and then start your workout from there... :o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic