Miscellaneous TopicsTiming Blood Pressure Meds for maximum benefits

Pilgrim79

Timing Blood Pressure Meds for maximum benefits

Post by Pilgrim79 »

Picked this up a few hours ago from a Googlenews health search:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-t ... 2019-10-28

I don't know about you, but while I wait for confirmation, I am switching my BP med to night from morning! Can anyone on the forums verify the veracity of this report?

Operative results post from article:
"according to research published this month in the peer-reviewed European Heart Journal." And,
"The researchers found that patients who took their medication at bedtime reduced by 45% their risk of dying from or suffering heart attacks, myocardial infarction, stroke, heart failure or requiring a procedure to unblock narrowed arteries, compared to those who took their medication after waking up in the morning.

The risk of death from heart or blood vessel problems was reduced by 66%, the risk of myocardial infarction was reduced by 44%, coronary revascularization (unblocking narrowed arteries) by 40%, heart failure by 42%, and stroke by 49%. However, the researchers noted there are no studies showing that treating hypertension in the morning reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease."

And the main study the above report is based on:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 210216.htm

Drdavid

Re: Timing Blood Pressure Meds for maximum benefits

Post by Drdavid »

This is an interesting study and offers some interesting data that on the surface looks promising. Providing a long term large scale study could provide more reliable results. Saying all that I would say take your BP meds at night!
drpatrick

Re: Timing Blood Pressure Meds for maximum benefits

Post by drpatrick »

In my work as a hospitalist, I often switch patients' anti-hypertensive medication from morning to bedtime for improved control. It doesn't always work, but often helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic