LongevityHow to get your daily dose of spermidine to extend life and health

Fred

How to get your daily dose of spermidine to extend life and health

Post by Fred »

Spermidine is a natural polyamine that stimulates cytoprotective macroautophagy/autophagy. External supplementation of spermidine extends lifespan and health span across species, including in yeast, nematodes, flies and mice.

In humans, spermidine levels decline with aging, and a possible connection between reduced endogenous spermidine concentrations and age-related deterioration has been suggested.

Recent epidemiological data support this notion, showing that an increased uptake of this polyamine with spermidine-rich food diminishes overall mortality associated with cardiovascular diseases and cancer.

Here, we discuss nutritional and other possible routes to counteract the age-mediated decline of spermidine levels.

Spermidine-rich food items comprise unprocessed plant-derived foods including:
  • wheat germ, cauliflower and broccoli, shitake mushrooms, fresh green pepper, the durian fruit and amaranth grain
But also products resulting from fermentation processes that involve polyamine-generating bacteria and fungi, e.g. soybean products such as natto or many types of mature cheese

Spermidine: a physiological autophagy inducer acting as an anti-aging vitamin in humans?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... src=recsys

Last edited by Fred on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newage

Re: How to get your daily dose of spermidine to extend life and health

Post by Newage »

Thank you Fred.
Looks like I have to ramp up my intake of Broccoli and Cauliflower.
My Supermarket has a combination product of both items together, broken down to rice size which is very convenient to sprinkle over salads or main course.
Also a great add to soups etc..👍
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sounds perfect. And if you want to heat it, you can always reactivate the other beneficial fytonutrient sulphoraphane in cruciferous vegetables by adding some mustard powder (contains myrinase). Broccoli and edamame beans also contains small amounts of NMN.
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Fred wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 am Sounds perfect. And if you want to heat it, you can always reactivate the other beneficial fytonutrient sulphoraphane in cruciferous vegetables by adding some mustard powder (contains myrinase). Broccoli and edamame beans also contains small amounts of NMN.
Wow, that's super interesting, thanks Fred!

I'm glad shitake mushrooms are on that list, they're fantastic in stir-frys!
Fred

Post by Fred »

OzSport wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:01 am
Fred wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 am Sounds perfect. And if you want to heat it, you can always reactivate the other beneficial fytonutrient sulphoraphane in cruciferous vegetables by adding some mustard powder (contains myrinase). Broccoli and edamame beans also contains small amounts of NMN.
Wow, that's super interesting, thanks Fred!

I'm glad shitake mushrooms are on that list, they're fantastic in stir-frys!
Yes, and mushrooms (all varietys) also contain the unique molecule ergotheine, which has its own transporter in mammals. That signifies that it has important functions, the theory is to be a reservoir in times of cellular stress. Ergotheine also penetrates into the brain.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic