Queuine
Lutein
Zeaxanthin
Lycopene
α-carotene
β-Carotene
β-cryptoxanthin
Astaxanthin

"It is proposed that proteins/enzymes be classified into two classes according to their essentiality for immediate survival/reproduction and their function in long-term health: that is, survival proteins versus longevity proteins. As proposed by the triage theory, a modest deficiency of one of the nutrients/cofactors triggers a built-in rationing mechanism that favors the proteins needed for immediate survival and reproduction (survival proteins) while sacrificing those needed to protect against future damage (longevity proteins). Impairment of the function of longevity proteins results in an insidious acceleration of the risk of diseases associated with aging. I also propose that nutrients required for the function of longevity proteins constitute a class of vitamins that are here named “longevity vitamins.” I suggest that many such nutrients play a dual role for both survival and longevity. The evidence for classifying taurine as a conditional vitamin, and the following 10 compounds as putative longevity vitamins, is reviewed: the fungal antioxidant ergothioneine; the bacterial metabolites pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) and queuine; and the plant antioxidant carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin, lycopene, α- and β-carotene, β-cryptoxanthin, and the marine carotenoid astaxanthin. Because nutrient deficiencies are highly prevalent in the United States (and elsewhere), appropriate supplementation and/or an improved diet could reduce much of the consequent risk of chronic disease and premature aging."

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/43/10836

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
NewLifeScience

Re: Ten Longevity vitamins by Bruce N. Ames

Post by NewLifeScience »

AlbertY wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:05 pm Ergothioneine(ESH)
Pyrroloquinoline quinone
Queuine
Lutein
Zeaxanthin
Lycopene
α-carotene
β-Carotene
β-cryptoxanthin
Astaxanthin

"It is proposed that proteins/enzymes be classified into two classes according to their essentiality for immediate survival/reproduction and their function in long-term health: that is, survival proteins versus longevity proteins. As proposed by the triage theory, a modest deficiency of one of the nutrients/cofactors triggers a built-in rationing mechanism that favors the proteins needed for immediate survival and reproduction (survival proteins) while sacrificing those needed to protect against future damage (longevity proteins). Impairment of the function of longevity proteins results in an insidious acceleration of the risk of diseases associated with aging. I also propose that nutrients required for the function of longevity proteins constitute a class of vitamins that are here named “longevity vitamins.” I suggest that many such nutrients play a dual role for both survival and longevity. The evidence for classifying taurine as a conditional vitamin, and the following 10 compounds as putative longevity vitamins, is reviewed: the fungal antioxidant ergothioneine; the bacterial metabolites pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) and queuine; and the plant antioxidant carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin, lycopene, α- and β-carotene, β-cryptoxanthin, and the marine carotenoid astaxanthin. Because nutrient deficiencies are highly prevalent in the United States (and elsewhere), appropriate supplementation and/or an improved diet could reduce much of the consequent risk of chronic disease and premature aging."

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/43/10836
So a couple ,but not all are Sirtuin activators (if i am not mistaken, like Astaxanthin and maybe β-cryptoxanthin)

But have they all been closely studied in mammals for actual longevity outcomes?
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

Interesting list. If you take Centrum you get several of these so maybe Centrum knew about longevity a decade ago.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thank you David, I have that one on my computer. I think Ames also included selenium and vitamin K originally in an earlier paper, in his TRIAGE-theory?
OzSport

Post by OzSport »

Drdavid wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:48 pm Interesting list. If you take Centrum you get several of these so maybe Centrum knew about longevity a decade ago.
Ah, Centrum - they've been around for ages! I had a look on their website and their multivitamin has 13 nutrients:

https://www.centrum.net.au/ingredients

No zinc, which I thought was interesting.

Blackmores is a popular brand here in Australia, they have several multivitamin types:

https://www.blackmores.com.au/multivitamins/products

Personally, I don't take multivitamins, but rather the individual nutrients separately - like zinc tablets, vitamin C, etc. Do you reckon multivitamins are better than taking individual vitamins or it doesn't really matter either way, so long as you take the ones that are best for your own individual situation?
Newage

Post by Newage »

OzSport
I used to be a Blackmores fan but now only take
Caruso’s which personally I rate a lot higher.
All the herbal formulas are “Standardised” so you actually know the strength of the active ingredients.
Check them out and buy at the 50% off sales at Chemist Warehouse.. :roll:
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid »

I think that it depends on the individual. If I can get someone to take a multi vitamin but they wont take anything else then the multi vitamin will be fine. However, if someone is willing to take multiple capsules we can personalize their regimen.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience »

Newage wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:16 pm OzSport
All the herbal formulas are “Standardised” so you actually know the strength of the active ingredients.
Would there not be a difference between taking something in a multi-vitamin, versus a specialized extraction of each item?
drkris69

Post by drkris69 »

All good info but I believe that Centrum"s doses are low and not in the therapeutic range. Obviously if one was to buy all of these nutrients seperately this would be expensive. Also, the centrum pills are very hard and many believe that it doesn't break down in the digestive system properly. Just a thought.
Newage

Post by Newage »

NewLifeScience wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:00 pm
Newage wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:16 pm OzSport
Would there not be a difference between taking something in a multi-vitamin, versus a specialized extraction of each item?
Caruso’s make an excellent Multivitamin which I take but it is more about taking individual stronger dosage of some vitamins when needed.
Most Multivitamins do not contain specific herbal formulas like Ginkgo, Ginseng, Rhodiola etc...
It is far more expensive for the supplement company to show a “Standardised” strength on the product and Caruso’s are excellent in doing just that on their herbal formulas. :idea:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic